Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: French Translation choices

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Abecedarian Mage Trudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bordeaux (France)
    Posts
    174

    French Translation choices

    I made this topic in order to have the better translation. make your choices.
    You can even propose some new translations...

    High men : "Hommes du Haut", "Grands Hommes", "Hauts Hommes"
    Thugs : "Brutes", "Brutasses" (goblin unit)
    Bowas : "Archouilles", "Archer" (goblin unit)
    Unhallowed : "Impies", "Désacralistes"
    Nodes : "Noeuds", "Nodes" (en fait, j'aime pas noeud, c'est moche et un peu trop phallique...)
    Chieftains : "Chefaillons", "Grand Chef"
    Witch Doctors : "Sorcieres" "Homme Médecine"
    Housing : "Habitation", ?
    Unrest : "Troubles", "Mecontentement", "Agitation"

    fight Button : "Combattez!", "Baston!"

    I underlined the one I put, for the moment.
    Last edited by Trudd; 03-09-2014 at 04:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Abecedarian Mage Trudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bordeaux (France)
    Posts
    174
    any suggestions?

  3. #3
    Neophyte Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nanterre (France)
    Posts
    34
    En bleu mes suggestions

    High men : "Hommes du Haut", "Grands Hommes", "Hauts Hommes". Pourquoi pas "Humains" tout simplement (puisqu'il n'y a pas de classes comme Mundane/high Men) ?
    Thugs : "Brutes", "Brutasses", "Vandales" (goblin unit)
    Bowas : "Archouilles", "Archer", "Tire-au-flanc" (goblin unit) (Archouille, c'est fun mais peut-on risquer un jeu de mot avec "Tire-au-flanc" ?)
    Unhallowed : "Impies", "Désacralistes"
    Nodes : "Noeuds", "Nodes" (Node c'est bien), "Vortex"
    Chieftains : "Chefaillons", "Grand Chef", "Chef de clan"
    Witch Doctors : "Sorcieres" "Homme Médecine", "Féticheur" (comme dans Diablo 3...)
    Housing : "Habitation", ? (là je coince parce que c'est un concept qui ne tient pas en un mot en français)
    Unrest : "Troubles", "Mécontentement", "Agitation"

    fight Button : "Combattez !", "Baston!"

  4. #4
    Arcane Candidate
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1
    Hello, je me propose pour aider à la traduction.
    Voici mes retours.

    High men : "Hommes" ou "Humains" devrait suffire.
    Thugs : J'aime bien "Vandales".
    Bowas : "Archouilles" ça fait bien gobelin je trouve, c'est bien trouvé
    Unhallowed : "Impies"
    Nodes : "Vortex" je trouve ça plus commun et parlant. Node àa existe dans le dico ???
    Chieftains : "Chef de clan", ou ne peut-on pas traduction ça par un rang, genre "Commandant" ou "General" ?
    Witch Doctors : "Sorcieres" me semble plus simple.
    Housing : "Habitation" ou "Habitat" ?
    Unrest : "Troubles" et trop général je trouve, "Mécontentement" est plus parlant.
    fight Button : "Combattez !"

    Voila, j'espere que j'arrive pas apres la guerre et que la discussion et encore ouverte !
    Last edited by trident_job; 03-16-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fix spelling

  5. #5
    Abecedarian Mage Trudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bordeaux (France)
    Posts
    174
    Merci!

    Voila, j'espere que j'arrive pas apres la guerre et que la discussion et encore ouverte !
    non, non, pas de probleme!
    on recueille les propositions;
    Pendant ce temps, on continue la traduction avec les mots de base et on fera les changements a la fin.

    Edit : @#"@&# d'accent de @#&@#

  6. #6
    Neophyte Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nanterre (France)
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudd View Post
    Merci!
    Edit : @#"@&# d'accent de @#&@#
    J'me disais bien qu'il y avait un èèè de probleme

  7. #7
    Caster of the Inner Tower
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    735
    High men : je dirais "Hauts Hommes", sur le modème (bien établi lui) de "Hauts Elfes". Juste "hommes" ça risque de nous attirer des soucis avec les DLC si on a d'autres hommes (idem pour les elfes).
    Thugs : "Vandales" j'aime bien.
    Bowas : "Archouilles" ça sonne bien.
    Unhallowed : "Impies" +1
    Nodes : Node ça n'existe pas en français, mais Vortex c'est pas mal je trouve.
    Chieftains : "Chefaillons" +1
    Witch Doctors : "Sorcieres" +1
    Housing : "Habitation" +1
    Unrest : je dirais "Mecontentement", "troubles" ça me semble plus approprié avec un modèle de type civ1 ou la production s'arrête complètement quand on en a trop, mais sur un modèle de type MoM où juste les mécontents cessent de travailler ça me semble peu adapté.
    fight Button : "Combattez!" +1 ("baston!" ça fera rire tous ceux qui connaissent le Donjon de Naheulbeuk mais j'ai peur que ce soit trop niche)

  8. #8
    Arcane Candidate
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2
    High Men: [I strongly dislike this, because of racist implications]. I suggest “Empire des Humains” to convey a bit of roman-ness and the least possible amount of racism. For the adjectival form, “Impériaux”. This has a quite neutral connotation (the positive part coming from the Rome association is balanced by the negative from the closeness to "Impérialiste" and the “Good Kingdom Evil Empire” trope).

    Thugs: “Brutes” is the word-for-word translation (“brutasses” is more trivial and unusual in written language). I however suggest “Petites frappes”: this has a pun inside and implies small stature, aggressiveness, and inefficiency. Four reasons, in my view, to use it for goblins.

    Bowas: “Tirailleurs au flanc” would have my vote; this is a classic French pun and very goblin-like.

    Fight button: “Combat” seems better than the imperative form “Combattez” (the latter being extremely unusual in video games).

    Witch doctors: this one needs a bit of care as well. “Sorciers” (“Sorcières” if female) could also mean sorcerer, or wizard. “Homme médecine” works only for male characters, and maybe even only human males; besides, it is again slightly racist. I would suggest one of
    - “Rebouteux” (“Rebouteuses” if female): basically folk doctors. Not much magic is implied; this is mostly a comedic character (fine for goblins);
    - “Chamanes” (gender neutral), which is a more serious character, but again with slightly specific cultural implications (implies horsemen, steppes, etc.). Probably already used for Nomads, however.

    Housing: if this is for the “Produce housing” button, then it should definitely be “Logements”. “Construire des logements” is the idiomatic sentence in French.

    For the other ones, I concur with Unhallowed -> Impies, Chieftains -> Chef de tribu, Unrest -> Mécontentement, Nodes -> Noeuds (and it takes quite a dirty mind to see any phallic implication here; “Nodes” is not an actual French word).

  9. #9
    Neophyte Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nanterre (France)
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by circonflexe View Post
    High Men: [I strongly dislike this, because of racist implications]. I suggest “Empire des Humains” to convey a bit of roman-ness and the least possible amount of racism. For the adjectival form, “Impériaux”. This has a quite neutral connotation (the positive part coming from the Rome association is balanced by the negative from the closeness to "Impérialiste" and the “Good Kingdom Evil Empire” trope).
    I am not very familiar with the background of MoM and WoM. However, in Fantasy games, race distinction between humans has a real impact on skills and attributes (in the Elder Scroll for instance). Creating an empire may not respect the initial background and implies political issues. I suggested simply "Humains" in the first place but, as Kilobug said, a DLC may create a new human race... I don't like "Hauts Hommes" much but it seems to be the proper translation. By the way, it was already the translation in MoM.

    Quote Originally Posted by circonflexe View Post
    Thugs: “Brutes” is the word-for-word translation (“brutasses” is more trivial and unusual in written language). I however suggest “Petites frappes”: this has a pun inside and implies small stature, aggressiveness, and inefficiency. Four reasons, in my view, to use it for goblins.
    I like it

    Quote Originally Posted by circonflexe View Post
    Fight button: “Combat” seems better than the imperative form “Combattez” (the latter being extremely unusual in video games).
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by circonflexe View Post
    Witch doctors: this one needs a bit of care as well. “Sorciers” (“Sorcières” if female) could also mean sorcerer, or wizard. “Homme médecine” works only for male characters, and maybe even only human males; besides, it is again slightly racist. I would suggest one of
    - “Rebouteux” (“Rebouteuses” if female): basically folk doctors. Not much magic is implied; this is mostly a comedic character (fine for goblins);
    - “Chamanes” (gender neutral), which is a more serious character, but again with slightly specific cultural implications (implies horsemen, steppes, etc.). Probably already used for Nomads, however.
    As you say, "Rebouteux" dos not imply any magic. I would prefer "Chaman" (you write it with an "e"?). Why not "Charlatan" as it concerns goblins?
    However, we don't know the skills of the Witch Doctor yet and that may change our mind on the translation.

    Quote Originally Posted by circonflexe View Post
    Housing: if this is for the “Produce housing” button, then it should definitely be “Logements”. “Construire des logements” is the idiomatic sentence in French.
    +1
    I checked in MoM and they used "Logements" as well.

  10. #10
    Abecedarian Mage Trudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bordeaux (France)
    Posts
    174
    Bon, comme il va falloir s'y remettre pour la beta, je propose un résumé de ce qui a été proposé.
    Les discussions sont toujours ouvertes, mais j'ai restreint (ou pas...) les choix en fonction de ce qui a été voté au dessus.

    High men : "Hommes du Haut", "Grands Hommes", "Hauts Hommes", "Impériaux", "Humains"
    Thugs : "Vandales" ou "Petites frappes"
    Bowas : "Archouilles" (validé)
    Unhallowed : "Impies" (validé)
    Nodes : "Vortex" (validé)
    Chieftains : "Chefaillons", "Chefs de clan"
    Witch Doctors : "Sorcieres" en attendant d'en savoir plus sur leurs compétences
    Housing : "Logements" (validé)
    Unrest : "Mecontentement" (validé)
    fight Button : "Combattez!" (validé)

    PS: Tiens, les accents sont revenus!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
footer