Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit Lord

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    -1 for a unit lord, we already have one perk lord, and I don't see enough of a thematic and effective difference with someone focused around buffing heroes. Buffs are buffs, after all, and can be given to units too..

Also, if we're going with Neve then she was supposed to be part of a pair with Malicia for a non stereotype fire and water mage set..
    +1 to Happerry

so -1 to another unit lord

+1 to unit lord.

Alright, it looks like the view is certainly split here. I'm going to propose a build and see what kind of reaction we get, then we'll go from there. So, here it is:

Name: SomeGalOrGuy
    Magic (8): Fire 8
    Disciplines (4): Enlightened (1), Healer (1), Purveyor (1), Warlord (1)
    Negative Disciplines (0): None

Now, to start with you may be scratching your head at my choice of Fire, but there's a good explanation. First, I think having a powerful Fire user to stand opposite Neve is a good idea. However, there's a lot more to it than that. The concept is to have a Sorcerer Lord that uses units as their main military crowbar. My Discipline choices are obvious as they give their units more experience, faster natural healing, less upkeep, and higher top level. Although it may not be equally obvious, Fire fits right in here. There are spells in Fire that do AoE damage to loosen up large numbers of enemies, there are higher damage single target spells to help take down difficult opponents, there are summons to serve as fodder, mind effects like Confusion to throw the enemy off. My thought is that this Sorcerer Lord would use a low number of well placed spells in battle to give his army the edge it needs to win.

I'm not sure how you guys will react here. You've surprised me more than once during all this, lol. However, rest assured, I could use this guy to stomp a mud-hole in my enemies with my unstoppable legions.

So, thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

+ 1 to unit lord

The discipline choices are great. I think this SL should be female, just to play against the regular stereotypes.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Aaron I dont know if im counting wrong, but "unit lord" was +7 vs other +3. To be honest with you, I dont mind a powerful fire mage, like the one you have proposed. It has its merits, which you have pointed out, and will aid units, to a degree.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

You're right zsdsdead. It wasn't really a "split view". I just felt there was some real resistance to the idea. I wanted to come up with something that at least satisfied most of us
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Battlemage
    Note: We have almost zero augmentation and biomancy. Markas has 2 picks in both. No one else has those. We have also 8 male and 3 female lords assuming R'jak or Magog are not females and that Eyegor is genderless. I guess technically Rjak is genderless as well if he is a wraith. That's all.
    Last edited by Beregar; 03-14-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Alright, it looks like the view is certainly split here. I'm going to propose a build and see what kind of reaction we get, then we'll go from there. So, here it is:

Name: SomeGalOrGuy
    Magic (8): Fire 8
    Disciplines (4): Enlightened (1), Healer (1), Purveyor (1), Warlord (1)
    Negative Disciplines (0): None

Now, to start with you may be scratching your head at my choice of Fire, but there's a good explanation. First, I think having a powerful Fire user to stand opposite Neve is a good idea. However, there's a lot more to it than that. The concept is to have a Sorcerer Lord that uses units as their main military crowbar. My Discipline choices are obvious as they give their units more experience, faster natural healing, less upkeep, and higher top level. Although it may not be equally obvious, Fire fits right in here. There are spells in Fire that do AoE damage to loosen up large numbers of enemies, there are higher damage single target spells to help take down difficult opponents, there are summons to serve as fodder, mind effects like Confusion to throw the enemy off. My thought is that this Sorcerer Lord would use a low number of well placed spells in battle to give his army the edge it needs to win.

I'm not sure how you guys will react here. You've surprised me more than once during all this, lol. However, rest assured, I could use this guy to stomp a mud-hole in my enemies with my unstoppable legions.

So, thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by http://wastelands-interactive.com/mediawiki/index.php/Discipline_healer
    Healer
    Cost: 2
    Prerequisite: At least 5 tiers in Life and/or Biomancy.

The units of a healer receive a 20% bonus to their natural healing each turn.
    this is one reason biomancy or life is such a good spell circle for a unit lord, though i think we already have biomancy for the earth mother (and a few life mages).

expansionist could fit that slot and provide lots of cities from which to send out units, or shelter them while they heal. healer is definitely better, but the cost is also higher (not to mention the requirements).

edit: just read the earth mother thread, and it looks like the biomancy builds are giving way to the elemental builds, so i submit that biomancy would make a good circle for a unit lord. biomancy 6 would allow for expansionist and for healer, making the lord's forces quite formidable.
    Last edited by jamoecw; 03-14-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Battlemage
    We have full elements in the Earthmother. Maybe we can have full effect in the "Unit Lord":

6 augmentation / 6 biomancy; enlightened, purveyor, warlord, merciless, prude
    Last edited by Beregar; 03-14-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast