Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stormbranch

Stormbranch

The idea here is of a sort of forest monster that hates non-plant life forms. It obviously reminds of treants and the trees outside the shire, but it also reminds me of a Krynoid. Either way, I like it.

zdsdead's lore ran thus:

Stormbranch could not remember, Where, and when he was born. In his mind, he just was, and had always been, here in Arncrow Forest. An elf creature, had once told him that he was born of the magic of a powerful sorcerer Lord, a millennium before. If that was true, Stormbranch did not know for sure. What he was sure of was the humans had now burned, and cut most of his home to the ground. He had killed and driven off, The loggers and Lumberjacks, but now from the edge of what was left of his forest, he could see an army of humans approaching his home, with spears and fire. Tears of sap welled in his eyes, as he realized he would lose his home to these locusts, these humans. He was overcome with rage. They would pay dearly, and with blood....

We may want to tweak it a bit, but the core is sound.

+1s?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

+1 from me

+1 to Stormbranch.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Simple and fits fine +1

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    +1 to the general concept, lore does seem to portray him a bit biased (likes elves, hates humans), i think it will need some tweaking to bring it to a general hate of non plants, or sentient creatures in general.

Stormbranch is in. I tweaked the lore a bit. It's not the great american novel, but I did what I could in ten minutes

Stormbranch

i've been thinking about it and i think it should be something like:
    stormbranch as far back as he can remember he lived in a great forest. his first memories are of waking up with a boar digging at his roots. he shooed away the animal, but later a bird came to peck at him, he shooed that away as well. as time went on he kept having to shoo away the animals that would come and try to injure him.

he watched the animals destroy the forest around him, digging up roots and drilling holes in them. he always wondered why the other trees would allow such to happen, until one day he decided that he should defend those that would not or could not defend themselves. he drove the animals from the forest at every opportunity, until one day he met an animal that was called what he would come to know as an elf. they made a pact, that the elves would keep the animals from destroying the forest, and the trees healthy, if he would allow them to live in his forest and not harm the animals.

for a time all was well, and he was able to slumber deep and peacefully, and he would share knowledge with these animals known as elves so that they could live in harmony with the trees. one day they left, though the animals kept themselves in check and the trees stayed healthy, so he kept sleeping peaceably.

then one day some animals came that were like elves, but not elves, and these not elves bit the trees in half and mutilated them and tortured those he swore to protect. he wanted to act, but he had made a pact with the elves, who had never once broken their word, so he woke and watched, waiting for the elves to do as they promised so long ago. as the animal not elves drove deeper into his home he began to gently shoo them away, not wanting to do nothing, but not wanting to bring harm to those he promised not to hurt.

they went away, but later some other not elves came and he shooed those away too. then came some not elf animals that were very not elves, and he saw that they ate from the fruit and leaves of the trees, but would not bite them in two. he presented himself to them and tried to teach them to respect the forest as he did with the elves, but they did not listen.

at first he felt that they might not be so bad, but when left unchecked they would strip bare huge swaths of the forest, leaving the trees to die a slow and gruesome death. he tried to shoo these not elves away, but they would not run, and instead fought back with fire and strong biting. over time he managed to root them out and drive them away, but he had to break his word completely with the elves.

now his home was a shell of what it once was, scarred from the various not elves, and he grew angry. when a new not elf came, he shooed them away quickly, but they returned as quick as they fled. he chased them back to whence they came, determined to stop the destruction of his charges and resume his path of destruction of animals. they fell easily to him, for they were attacked by yet another not elf, this one though was no animal, so he asked whether they be friend or foe. they answered with sickness and rot, with biting and fire.

they were the worst not elves of all, and as he retreated, they continued on their path, coming to his home to destroy it as they had helped him do to the other not elves. he fought hard and long. stronger in his home, he managed to drive them back, but the cost was high.

his home gone, he began to search for another home. every forest he came upon was infested with not elves, leaching the life from the trees, or burning them, or mutilating them. his anger grew, and he knew what must be done.

-----------------------------------------------

that way he isn't friendly with elves, as they abandoned their promise, and the others are just forest killers. the elves are at most simply not enemies, the rest are enemies, that way any favoritism of races is mild at best.
    Last edited by jamoecw; 03-26-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks for the lore pitch Jamo. Eventually I'll try to get around to getting it all worked into the Wiki. We may do a separate set of posts concerning lore for all the Sorcerer Lords, Titans, Heroes, etc, once we get that far.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Argh! The lack of paragraph spacings has driven me from this thread!
    The Wiki.

how's that, not exactly a literary masterpiece (far from it by a long shot actually). feel free to improve it if you want, it is more of an example (far more long winded than i intended as well) of a singular treat origin story that grew to hate all humanoids.

i felt the original was more pro elf and anti human (making it indifferent to most races and almost backing one race from the get go).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast