Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Impressions

The catapult arm does not fire correctly in "arena" mode. The throwing arm, remains stationary, and rock just flies out of holder.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Great update, really feeling more like a game now.

-No scout info for ruins etc. Not sure if this is intentional.
    -Got stuck in Magic Vault and pressing menu crashed to main menu.

Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by War Troll View Post
    Great update, really feeling more like a game now.

-Got stuck in Magic Vault and pressing menu crashed to main menu.
    Please upload your log - \Steam\SteamApps\common\WorldsOfMagic\WorldsOfMagi c_Data\output_log.txt

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/216338772/Log

Is there no spoiler tag function on this site?

Basically when I enter the Item vault there are infinite helmet atrifacts spammed along the bottom. Exit doesn't work and neither does pressing on the other buttons. Pressing menu exits to main menu.

Developer
    Thanks, I'll take a look. Don't know about spoiler tag though.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    I will take a look at the spoiler thing

For me, the 'feel' of a game is everything. Is there enough personality to it to draw me in, or is it so system-focused and 'sleek' that it feels cold and clinical and boring? I recently played the much-vaunted Age of Wonders 3. It, for me, fell far to the latter. There was too much Civ 5-ness about it. It didn't feel like a 4X game. But the second I booted up Worlds of Magic, opened my first city screen, and saw my wizard's tower there gleaming with arcane energy ... it felt like home. A home I haven't set foot in for nearly 20 years. The Master of Magic fan in me couldn't be happier and not only because systems like research and the planes and even the city interface reflect on WoM's predecessor but because it builds upon and goes further than that legacy. This is the 4X game I wanted. The 4X game I backed.

Even in this early state I am thrilled. The game is beautiful and after running through the tutorial most of the interfaces are intuitive and obvious enough to muddle through with a minimum of head-scratching and wondering how to move things along. I will admit, in the interest of full disclosure, that I initially tried to jump in and play without running through the tutorial at all. That was a mistake. I couldn't make out the buttons in the city interface to build units and structures. They were a little too hidden and although after playing through the tutorial they made perfect sense I would suggest maybe re-coloring them to make them stand out a bit more? Or tooltips over them to explain what they do? I noticed that on some of the buildings on the city map and it would be equally helpful for the various buttons and functions, as well.

The other thing that stands out to me at first, and I know it is still very much a work in progress, is the battle map. Perhaps I'm just clueless but I couldn't find a way to actually scroll across the map. I could pan around it, from a stationary viewpoint, by clicking and dragging but not being able to move -around- the battle map made moving units and getting an accurate perspective of where each of them was in relation to the enemy a little awkward. The pathfinding for my units also seemed a little off, and they weren't always going to the square I thought I was clicking on.

My spellbook wasn't displaying the spells I'd researched (and couldn't find them in the magic panel, either).

I was getting the Local Bandits and Wealth Merchant Dies events every 4-5 turns.

All in all, though, it's wonderful to see the game this far along already! It's looking wonderful, the visuals are lush and the foundation for a great game is already there. I'm excited and encouraged to see how WoM continues to develop in the coming weeks and months.

One other point I want to raise, and it's more of a question than anything else, but are we allowed to discuss the game outside of this forum? I'm not looking to do a Let's Play or write up an AAR with photos and detailed info, but I'd like to sing WoM's praises to some of my other 4X-loving friends if possible. Wanted to ask first, though.

I'm glad you like what we've done so far Matthew. We've worked hard to make it what it is so far

You should certainly speak up when anything isn't obvious. The tabs in the city screen are a perfect example. We may want to make them stand out a bit more.

We probably need to put a but more “tutorial” in the battle map part of the tutorial. You have a great deal of camera control. We just need to make sure we walk people through it. And, yes, we're still tinkering on the board right now and the path finding can get a little off.

Can you replicate the problem with the spell book?

The random events are firing off way more often than they will in the long run. They need to be a little more frequent for testing purposes.

I'll let doomtrader field the “Where can we talk about this?" question, lol.

Keep testing and reporting because we plan to keep fixing and improving.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Developer
    Spells in research book have little "earth" and "swords" icons. "Earth" spells are available on the world map, while "swords" spells on the battle map. There's a possibility that you've researched a combat spell and tried to cast it on the world map (or the other way around).

The 'no spellbook' problem seems to be happening to me when I start a game via the 'Create MageLord' menu option. Also seems to put me down in a city with no options for constructing buildings or hiring troops.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast