Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shade of Night

Shade of Night

OK, as you guys know we've got some Titan names that backers got as rewards that we need to dish out. Mardagg pitched an Undead titan for Shade of night and I like the basic concept. His lore ran thus:

The Shade of Night is a shadowy ethereal being known to devour the souls of its victims.
    It will usually appear on the Prime Material Plane only,because only there it is guaranteed to find enough living beings of all kinds.
    It does view the Unhallowed as rivals, since there would be no souls to devour anymore if the Unhallowed would rule the world, and because of this it will never join a Sorcerer Lord leading the Unhallowed and it will be generally more likely for it to appear when the Unhallowed make an appearance on the PMP plane in order to offer service for any of the other races to help vs the Unhallowed.

It is impossible to hurt the Shade of Night with non-magical weapons and with Death Magic.
    But even with magical weapons ,it is very ,very hard to hit it.
    When it is attacking and killing a living opponent,it will devour its soul,thus gaining more Hit Points,even above the level where it started.
    The most frightining thing though about the Shade of Night, is its Aura of Decay.
    Everyone not immune to Death Magic trying to hit or generally standing near it,risks being instantly turned to dust.
    Enemies killed this way wont get their soul devoured...at least.
    In addition,the Shade of Night is invisible to the normal eye on the World map.

Now, I think we should drop the soul destroying part of the lore. It's too harsh mechanically because you could loose heroes that you wouldn't be able to raise from the dead. Instead, I think we should just give it an aura of death, give it the ability to summon other undead, and give it the classic negative energy bolts. Maybe we could even give it the ability to control other undead.

What do we think of the idea?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

+1 from me, prefer the toned down version.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Now, I think we should drop the soul destroying part of the lore. It's too harsh mechanically because you could loose heroes that you wouldn't be able to raise from the dead. Instead, I think we should just give it an aura of death, give it the ability to summon other undead, and give it the classic negative energy bolts. Maybe we could even give it the ability to control other undead.
    Agreed with this whole-heartedly!
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

+1 to the toned down version.

How does this look?:

Shade of Night

I thought you were toning insta death down
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

looks good, +1 to toned down without soul devouring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardagg View Post
    looks good, +1 to toned down without soul devouring.
    +1 to this.

The insta-death should be OK because even if a unit (or hero) is killed by it you can still raise them. Plus we can make the save DC low enough where it will rarely kill heroes and champions.

Maybe this could be given (at least vague) feminine characteristics, a la Pale Night
    (obviously, we can't use her directly since she's WotC IP, but she's the best example I can think of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast