Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing through the Tutorial

Playing through the Tutorial

I sat down with the Tutorial today and here's the long version of what I found:
    GENERAL
    Units are too large on the world map.
    When in the alternate view (which I like), units look a bit odd.

It is unclear how to cancel casting a spell on the overland map. (Can you?)
    What happens when you've finish casting an overland spell and click 'end turn'? Either my game was screwy (due to crafting oddity detailed below) or clicking 'end turn' without using the spell makes it go away.

COMBAT
    OPINION: The alternate view (V-view) seems a little too far up the screen. Would be nice if we could position it (just slide up/down left/right) or just have it moved closer to the bottom of the screen. (For some reason, I saw it almost like the grid was a ceiling instead of a floor. )

ISSUE: In the tutorial battle board, all unit's tiles are green until they're moved, then it changes to a green square with a circle inside it.

ISSUE: Upon the next turn, these squares don't change to indicate movement is possible. (Should revert to solid green squares)
    * The squares do stay solid green if you didn't use all your MV last turn

ISSUE: Moved Pikemen diagonally. Now has 0MV but the square is solid (no circle cut-out)

On one playthrough, I basically just hit 'end turn' until the Fire Elementals got near me. One of them freaked out and walked off of the battleboard.
    FireElemental.jpg

OPINION: Combat takes _TOO LONG_. Should be able to select another unit and move it while the previous unit moves (simliar to an RTS).

CRAFTING PHASE
    When told to craft an item for my hero, the crafting dialog is incomplete. I scrolled through the item types and ended up making a helmet.

ISSUE: After closing the item builder, tooltips pop up and look like they're for the Magic Panel, but the Magic panel isn't opened.

ISSUE?: Spellcraft sliders are linked when you raise one, but lowering it doesn't increase the others (wasted spellpower).

BUG INDUCED BY PREVIOUS STEPS?: Now I am unable to move my army. Tutorial just keeps telling me to click 'end your turn'.
    It says 1428 turns until my item is created. The only things I can activate in the UI are the magic panel and the Info button (gives fly-out menu that I can't interact with), and of course the 'end turn' button. Apparently I got a 'Reports' window up, but the 'X' doesn't close it.
    If I keep the Magic Panel up and click 'end turn', the "# of turns until complete" doesn't update. I have to close/open the Magic Panel again.

OPINION: ** Should be more clear on what item to create (for the tutorial) (for instance, selecting other than the default caused the issues above)

OPINION: ** Should be more clear/consistant on how long it will take to create the item
    ENHANCEMENT: ** Should be able to stop that item and change to another

I boosted my Spellcraft to 100% of my power. The Crafting turn estimate doesn't adjust for this correctly. For instance, an item that is supposed to take 630 turns. One "end turn" later, this drops to 623.
    CraftingTurnN.jpgCraftingTurnN+1.jpg

The crafting estimate should take the distribution of spellcraft into account. (This may be happening already and I'm seeing some weirdness because of selecting a different enchant item type that wasn't ready for testing.)

ISSUE: Updating of the Crafting turns is sporadic. Sometimes the number doesn't change between turns. Sometimes it jumps by a large amount (especially if your spellcraft is low and you have much of your Power going into spellcraft so that it's increasing rapidly).

Should the tutorial continue while your item is being created? For me, nothing happens between the turns (I can't select my armies, change planes, etc).

I got down to 195 turns to complete the items and I had to go through 9 turns to get it to 194. It gets worse the more turns you complete. Takes 25+ turns to get from 100 to 99. Took 85 turns from 77 to 76.

ISSUE: The circle around the crafted items doesn't seem to work. Initially, my item was going to take 1400 turns. I got it down to under 100 turns, and the circular bar was only at about 1/3 full.
    CraftingTurns.jpg

GIVING AN ITEM TO HERO (after restarting)
    After item is created, the tooltip says to select the unit; however, my view was moved and the unit is no longer on the screen.

ISSUE: Tooltip doesn't point to the unit if the player has moved the map view.
    Should auto-target the unit (at least for the tutorial).

ISSUE: Had to double-click the unit's tile (Tutorial says 'click')

UI:
    Really don't like the 'click-through-window'. Would prefer having to close windows to interact with objects behind.
    When running in windowed mode, if you move the mouse outside of the window to do something else (type in notepad, browse the Net, etc), the game keeps scrolling the map.

ISSUE: Tooltips in the Tutorial are misplaced in top-down view. (after hitting V)

OPINION: When an overland spell is ready to cast, it should be more obvious. Maybe some sort of fancy frame.

ISSUE: When on the Battle board, when I have 0/200 skill left, I'm still able to select a spell and a target. Nothing happens when I click the target (of course).

Tutorial Replay:
    Using alternate world-view, entered the portal battle. Won with several units left. Back on the world screen, no unit appears.

ISSUE: Returned to '3D view' and right-clicked the portal and my unit appeared.
    MissingUnitsAfterBattle.jpg
    Last edited by WyldeRhide; 04-09-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Developer
    t is unclear how to cancel casting a spell on the overland map. (Can you?)
    What happens when you've finish casting an overland spell and click 'end turn'? Either my game was screwy (due to crafting oddity detailed below) or clicking 'end turn' without using the spell makes it go away.
    You can't cancel casting. Ending turn causes the spell to vanish (as of now).

ISSUE: Upon the next turn, these squares don't change to indicate movement is possible. (Should revert to solid green squares)
    Fixed.
    ISSUE?: Spellcraft sliders are linked when you raise one, but lowering it doesn't increase the others (wasted spellpower).
    That's intentional.
    ISSUE: When on the Battle board, when I have 0/200 skill left, I'm still able to select a spell and a target. Nothing happens when I click the target (of course).
    Noted. Fixed.
    Last edited by Beo; 04-10-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower
    Spellcraft sliders are linked when you raise one, but lowering it doesn't increase the others (wasted spellpower).
    Quote Originally Posted by Beo View Post
    That's intentional.
    In what cases do you want to use less than all your incoming power? If this is desired, however, perhaps some visual indication that not all spellpower is being used is in order? For example, when there is leftover spellpower not allocated to the sliders, the central spellpower number can read 150/300 if only 150 of 300 points are being used? (if it already does this, plz disregard.. I don't have access to the alpha yet so I'm just going off others' screenshots)
    Last edited by Myk; 04-11-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Very good question, Myk.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Developer
    The central spellpower number is not connecter to these two sliders. You are always using 100% of your power. Crafting/casting slider change how much mana you spend on casting and crafting. Spellcraft level tells you how much mana per turn you can spend on that.

To cancel casting a spell you have to select another one, which resets casting progress.
    Removing items from crafting queue resets the progress as well.

Because of that you can't 'stop' casting and crafting without loosing progress. You also can't 'pause' it.

I agree, there should be an indicator for that.

Thought I'd clarify a couple of things w/ screenshots.

(I'm running in Windowed Mode at 1280x720 highest graphics option.)

When first told to select your unit, the unit is covered by MC's. Here's an example
    SelectUnit.jpg
    I'm assuming the tooltip is pointing to the spot the unit is standing on. The 3D bushes are covering his feet, so it's hard to see.

ISSUE: Tooltips in the Tutorial are misplaced in top-down view. (after hitting V)
    Tutorial Replay:
    Using alternate world-view, entered the portal battle. Won with several units left. Back on the world screen, no unit appears.
    ISSUE: Returned to '3D view' and right-clicked the portal and my unit appeared.
    The next pic shows the after-combat screenshot when using the "2D board" (hitting V).Now there's no portal or army, just a flag. Also, the tooltip is mis-aligned.
    FlagNoUnits.jpg
    Clicking on the flag makes the army appear. Clicking on the army again makes it disappear and the flag appear.

Now that my army is visible, here's what I get. The tooltip is in the wrong place and covers my army. Also, I can't see the portal.
    NoPortal.jpg

I switched back to the 3D view and I can tell the portal's there, but it's hard to make out. (Units too big, light is somewhat glaring.)
    NoPortal3D.jpg

ISSUE: When told to move my initial army to the sparkling tile, I accidentally double-clicked. This caused the 'Armies' window to come up and I can't close it.

ArmiesNoClose.jpg

The central spellpower number is not connecter to these two sliders. You are always using 100% of your power. Crafting/casting slider change how much mana you spend on casting and crafting. Spellcraft level tells you how much mana per turn you can spend on that.
    I think Myk was meaning Spellcraft, not Power.

I'm a little confused, so please bear with me.

In the following picture, I have 120 Power, 110 Spellcraft. All my Power is focused into making my Spellcraft higher.

CraftingTurnN.jpg

My expectation was that the "craft" and "cast" sliders are utilizing my Spellcraft. e.g. Craft+Cast=Spellcraft
    If I have them even, then I could put 55 mana into Casting each turn and 55 into Crafting each turn.

I understand that if I make Casting 110/turn then Crafting would be 0/turn.

If you are at 110 Casting 0 Crafting and you lower your Casting to 55, shouldn't Crafting go back up to 55? Otherwise, you're "wasting" potential Spellcraft.

I think Myk's question (and mine) is: Is there any situation that you would want to not use part of your spellcraft?

To cancel casting a spell you have to select another one, which resets casting progress.
    Removing items from crafting queue resets the progress as well.

Because of that you can't 'stop' casting and crafting without loosing progress. You also can't 'pause' it.
    It would be nice if you could re-open your spellbook and have an X to cancel the casting of a spell. (For instance, if you're casting "Invisibility" for a unit and that unit dies before casting is complete.)

I'm totally okay with losing the mana I've put into it, I just don't want to waste mana finishing a spell that I don't want anymore (or having to start casting another spell that I don't need).

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by WyldeRhide View Post
    I think Myk was meaning Spellcraft, not Power.
    I had meant Power, but I was confused too. The bubbles do react like I expected -- moving one down moves the others up.

I think Myk's question (and mine) is: Is there any situation that you would want to not use part of your spellcraft?
    Well, I can see this case: you are casting a spell, but are running out of mana in your reserves. You have a big battle coming up, and don't want your reserves depleted before the battle.

I remember discussing use cases like this at length in this thread: http://forum.wastelands-interactive....tion-mechanics but the current implementation is not quite what was discussed there nor what is described on the wiki: http://wastelands-interactive.com/me...a_expenditures

It looks like the current implementation is an attempt to combine the ratio sliders on the wiki with the throttle slider proposed in the thread. Is this right? Would it be possible to update the wiki with a description of the current implementation?

It would be nice if you could re-open your spellbook and have an X to cancel the casting of a spell. (For instance, if you're casting "Invisibility" for a unit and that unit dies before casting is complete.)
    +1

The idea behind being able to lower one of the casting/crafting bars without raising the other is that it allows you to limit the amount of mana you're spending on both per turn. For instance, you might be casting unit buffs that you don't want to forget, but that aren't an emergency. You could also be crafting a weapon you don't need finished in a rush. So, you could set each bar at 25 and only spend 50 mana per turn even if your spell craft was 110. It will allow you to cast and craft and save up mana if you want. It is a little confusing at first, but once people are familiar with the idea it actually gives you more control. (So Myk, you basically had the right idea.)

The spellbook should have a X for canceling a spell you're currently casting.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast