Thread: Izzir The Damned

Izzir The Damned

He we have an undead ex-paladin. I like the idea in general, but not the exact pitch. I would rather make him a powerful Death Guard. I just think the ex-paladin thing has been done a lot. (I know, I know, I constantly use clichés, but I think this one has almost been done to death...) Anyways, here's War Troll's pitch:

Once a Paladin-in-training, the cocky and self-assured Izzir made few friends among his peers during the arduous instruction he received. Desiring lasting fame and immortality in the Temple's History, he sneaked into the forbidden vault, home of the most blasphemous works taken by the Order of Paladins for careful study. Lacking the protective rites necessary to be uncorrupted by them, one mere peek at their pages was enough to damn him for all time.

Abilities- Undead, Death Ward, Cold Resistance

Traits-

Though his soul is lost, his body remains somewhere between life and death. He still has the capacity to learn, perhaps even more so now than during his days of training. No mount will stand bearing him to battle, so he fights on foot with a Longsword.

Like I said, I was just make him a Death Gaurd that gave himself over completely to the lust for power. Still, I'm open to suggestions.

What do you guys think?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    How varied in power are heroes going to be? I generally assume the lower tiers are basic troop type strength at level 1 which is why I made him and entry level undead fighter type.

As for Izzir if he were made a Death Guard he'd be a high tier hero, presumably (them being ultimate tier units). I'll +1 it.

+1 from me
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    ex paladins need another class, they don't get exp from being a paly (well ex paly). war troll, what class is he after being exiled? the pitch works with a death guard being the other class, but for an entry level hero it would have to be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-paladin
    A paladin who ceases to be lawful good, who willfully commits an evil act, or who grossly violates the code of conduct loses all paladin spells and abilities (including the service of the paladin’s mount, but not weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She may not progress any farther in levels as a paladin. She regains her abilities and advancement potential if she atones for her violations (see the atonement spell description), as appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by fallen paladin
    Blackguards who have levels in the paladin class (that is to say, are now ex-paladins) gain extra abilities the more levels of paladin they have.
    so the lore given is fine, but incomplete. it says how the paly fell, but not what he did about it (did he turn to his martial skills and become a fighter, or did he reach out to an evil entity for aid and thus become a black guard, or did he invoke a god that would have him and become a cleric, maybe he decided it was best to stay in the shadows ashamed of what he has become and thus become a rogue?). pretty much the idea is that we have an undead ex paladin with death ward and cold resistance, and no set working class, so is a pretty blank slate.

for hero i'd suggest a rogue. martial prowess with backstab, and isn't super squishy works for a battlefield rogue.
    for a champion i'd jump on the blackguard wagon.

again this is due to it being such a blank slate, as it was originally you're character i'd like to hear any suggestions you'd have (maybe it is an ex-paladin class).

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by jamoecw View Post
    again this is due to it being such a blank slate, as it was originally you're character i'd like to hear any suggestions you'd have (maybe it is an ex-paladin class).
    As he was 'in-training' I didn't see him as a Paladin as he hadn't received the requisite training and instruction usually associated with that class. I just saw him as a fighter. I did consider Blackguard class but thought it might be too advanced for an entry-level Undead Fighter Hero.

OK, how's this for a rough draft:

Izzir was destined to become a Paladin, at least in the minds of his parents lord and lady Kallin. He was brought to the temple and placed in the care of the priests shortly after his first birthday. Lord Kallin had high political ambitions and his firstborn becoming a Paladin would greatly aid his rise to power. However, these hopes seemed dashed when Izzir was just seven years old. He was weighed in the scales and found wanting, the gods of good rejected him. Izzir would not become a Paladin, but rather a Knight of the Temple. For most even this would have been a great honor. As Izzir grew, however, it proved an honor he was unworthy of. He combined the unbridled ambition of his father with the lust his mother had for wealth and prominence. At the age of eighteen he broke into one of the deepest vaults of the temple. A vault that contained many valuable and forbidden magical items. He killed a number of his fellows during his raid and escape. All but one of the artifacts he had stolen he sold to a traveling merchant for a king's ransom. The item he kept was an enchanted horn. It was said to call forth a great and powerful demon that would aid any who were brave enough to wind it. For a number of years the horn hung unused around his neck as Izzir traveled the world heaping up more and more wealth. At last he was tracked down by a number of Paladins that had known him as a child. Although greatly outnumbered he refused to surrender. He raised the horn to his lips and sounded it. The demon Galrank himself answered the call. He slaughtered the force that had been sent to capture Izzir with ease. But then he demanded his fee. Although Izzir offered many things, Galrank was interested in only one. He took Izzir's life as payment. However, Galrank admired Izzir's spirit and decided to grant him another gift. He gave Izzir undeath. Now, Izzir travels the world as an undead knight. Wealth and comfort no longer have any allure for him. Only power matters now. Perhaps he will take service under some Sorcerer Lord who can offer him the power he deserves.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Ack! The lack of paragraphs has slain me!
    The Wiki.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    i like it.

+1 to the not-that-rough draft

Here's the writeup, complete with paragraph breaks, lol:

Izzir