Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Impressions & Suggestions

Mage’s Assistant

First Impressions & Suggestions

Howdy everyone,

First of all. The look & feel of the game is great. All the great elements that made MOM great are present.

The spell books & skills for making your custom Wizard.

Terrain playing a role in the cities output/production is a must for 4X titles, yet recent ones have been omitting this and it takes away from strategic city placement. And also the diversification of city roles.

The mana management / casting skill was something sorely lacking in Elemental. Such a joy to see it here!

Here is some feedback/suggestions:

* I seem to be having issues with making my cities profitable. Marketplace doesn't seem to give enough kick to income to help offset the rising costs. I wasn't able to find a tax level present, so I'm assuming that's not implemented yet and so would probably offset this perceived difficulty. (Other than using Trade goods) I have a sneaking feeling that the endless merchant donations are probably there for a reason.

* I wasn't able to find terrain that gives any financial bonuses. Comparing to MOM, I believe shores provide a modicum boost to economy.

* Does anyone know the current, or intended, city range? IE, the range at which the city exploits tiles? Is it 'a la mom' as such:

#000#
    00X00
    #000#

I'd be nice to have an overlay to see a city's exploitation range.

* Will engineers be able to build roads? And woulds roads give economic bonus to tiles, and/or economic bonuses to linking cities?

* I'm not able to use the sorcerer creator and starting a game. I seem to always get stuck on Generating Cities.

* Are High Men the only race that is currently implemented? If I use the sorcerer creator I only seem to be able to select them. Or else I get stuck at generating cities, and I get a null reference notification in the debug log.

Anyway, great stuff! Looking forward to future builds and features being fleshed out! Keep it up!

We're glad you like the look and feel. We've worked hard to make WoM what it is

At the moment we're not actually taking the production bonuses from terrain into account. The mechanics are all there. The numbers are not. The taxes are also not in working order yet. As such the only way to make a city generate gold is to have it trade goods. This is going to change in a few weeks. We're just busy working on other mechanics now. Like the save/load feature for instance.

Terrain probably won't provide any direct gold bonus. Certain World Resources will, but not the terrain itself. However, the terrain may effect the gold a city gets from it's Trade Bonus. That mechanic just isn't in place yet.

Cities use MoM's “Fat Plus” just as you've laid out. An overlay or some other mechanic to show you the tiles that effect the city is a good suggestion.

Engineers will be able to build roads. Roads will effect the Trade Bonus of cities they connect.

The Sorcerer Creator is a work in progress. It's mainly for in-house testing at this point.

Glad you like it. We intend to keep making it better
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Cities use MoM's “Fat Plus” just as you've laid out. An overlay or some other mechanic to show you the tiles that effect the city is a good suggestion.
    Aaron, what about that huge long back and forth early discussion where your last lean was towards cities growing from a radius of 1 to 3 tiles of influence? Will that mechanic eventually make it into the game?

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    * I seem to be having issues with making my cities profitable. Marketplace doesn't seem to give enough kick to income to help offset the rising costs. I wasn't able to find a tax level present, so I'm assuming that's not implemented yet and so would probably offset this perceived difficulty. (Other than using Trade goods) I have a sneaking feeling that the endless merchant donations are probably there for a reason.
    That's because the default tax rate is 0. We don't have the GUI for tax rates yet, but you can adjust tax by pressing + (increase taxes) and - (lower) (numeric keyboard) on the city screen.

* Does anyone know the current, or intended, city range? IE, the range at which the city exploits tiles? Is it 'a la mom' as such:

#000#
    00X00
    #000#

I'd be nice to have an overlay to see a city's exploitation range.
    It's a la MoM. We are planning on adding city range borders.

* Will engineers be able to build roads? And woulds roads give economic bonus to tiles, and/or economic bonuses to linking cities?
    They can build them already, but they provide no income bonus as of now.

* I'm not able to use the sorcerer creator and starting a game. I seem to always get stuck on Generating Cities.
    Not fully implemented yet (the current screen is just a placeholder)

* Are High Men the only race that is currently implemented? If I use the sorcerer creator I only seem to be able to select them. Or else I get stuck at generating cities, and I get a null reference notification in the debug log.
    Yes. We already have all the units for Unhallowed, as well as most for the Grey Elves, but no cities.

Anyway, great stuff! Looking forward to future builds and features being fleshed out! Keep it up!
    Thanks!

Mage’s Assistant
    Howdy everyone, it's me again!

With the most recent build I have to say it's impressive how on target you are. Totally dig the disjointed city 'building tree' and spellbook research. So many predecessor have gotten that so wrong. Refreshing to see it come to life as strong as it is.

The Mana Management? Amazing.

The unique economy of the undead? Amazing. And I mean, I love the fact that corruption is useful to them, makes all those corrupt spell seem way more useful that way.

I small reminder about making sure to include some form of visual representation of the area of exploitation of a town. I know you said you were going with the traditional 'big plus'. But there doesn't seem anything indicating this to the player. Maybe simply adding a 'used by town XYZ' on the tile tooltip information. I'd settle for that, but having a visual represntation of the exploitation area just makes expansion planning so much more easier. I'm a big maniac of maximizing land usage and collating terrain bonuses into epic towns, so perhaps I'm being selfish?

The sheer amount of spells and magic types? I'm floored.

The wizard abilities and disadvantages, amazing!

I'm almost afraid that a few days prior to the final release you'll turn round and pull an Elemental on us... But I have to say there is no way I can see that happen with the way the game is at this point. So on target, I'm speechless!

So yeah, give us perfectionist city planners some help. But more importantly, keep being totally amazing. I'm overjoyed!

Hey MedievalNerd, thanks for the positive feedback!

I small reminder about making sure to include some form of visual representation of the area of exploitation of a town. I know you said you were going with the traditional 'big plus'. But there doesn't seem anything indicating this to the player. Maybe simply adding a 'used by town XYZ' on the tile tooltip information. I'd settle for that, but having a visual represntation of the exploitation area just makes expansion planning so much more easier. I'm a big maniac of maximizing land usage and collating terrain bonuses into epic towns, so perhaps I'm being selfish?
    We're working on it!

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    Hey MedievalNerd, thanks for the positive feedback!

We're working on it!
    If there is a competition for being amazing you are all first class winners.

Many thanks!

Well thank you! Being amazing is one of the things we've worked hard on, lol.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Mage’s Assistant
    Well, it's perfected at this point!

Are you guys also aiming to have the 'right-click on anything and get a description/explanation of said thing'? Sorry for the poor wording, I'm sick and I can't seem to properly explain this feature lol. It was just that if you right clicked on anything it'd bring up a detailed tooltip on the item.

Like if you right click on the resistance, melee icons. If you right click on an ability or spell. I noticed that in the spell book you do have the 'i' icon that does closely the same thing. But I noticed that in some places, like spell research it's not available? Or maybe it's the spell picker during sorcerer creation.

I always found it useful for reminders and quick references to the various mechanics, spells, skills or stats purpose/usage.

Again probably polish stuff!

I'm ashamed to ask, but I was participating in the early polls for the race selections. But what was the final selection again? I know Dark Elves made the cut (hell yeah!) but other than the implemented races and Dark Elves... I can't recall. :/

EDIT:

Oh yeah, if a race doesn't have ships could it be callled out in the pro's and con's? I was playing with High Elves and although I could build the docks and all related buildings, I never could build a ship. And I was stuck on a tiny island.
    Last edited by MedievalNerd; 09-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Developer
    This is deffintely something we want to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast