Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Impressions & Suggestions

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    I'm ashamed to ask, but I was participating in the early polls for the race selections. But what was the final selection again? I know Dark Elves made the cut (hell yeah!) but other than the implemented races and Dark Elves... I can't recall. :/
    Dwarves, Orcs and Myrodants (insectoids). There's a wiki that tells you loads of stuff. The GFX section of this forum has loads of models, pictures etc as well.

Oh yeah, if a race doesn't have ships could it be callled out in the pro's and con's? I was playing with High Elves and although I could build the docks and all related buildings, I never could build a ship. And I was stuck on a tiny island.
    I don't think they are implemented yet.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by War Troll View Post
    Dwarves, Orcs and Myrodants (insectoids). There's a wiki that tells you loads of stuff. The GFX section of this forum has loads of models, pictures etc as well.

I don't think they are implemented yet.

THANK YOU FOR THE LINK! Dark Elves! Win! And I love the other choices too, very interesting indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    Oh yeah, if a race doesn't have ships could it be callled out in the pro's and con's? I was playing with High Elves and although I could build the docks and all related buildings, I never could build a ship. And I was stuck on a tiny island.
    Elves will be able to use ships, they just aren't implemented yet Soon(ish)

Mage’s Assistant
    First, although I only downloaded this today, I may have an obsolete version as I don't have the option to play High Elves (playing 1409:1410M, which I think is the build ID).

First the good news: no bugs found more serious than unimportant typos and game play is smooth. Not everything is intuitive (e.g. splitting armies) but most things are. The city button is useless but may not be in the future. The pace of the game seems generally right as far as city development and spell research go.

Questions:

- do rivers do anything?

- like MoM, are ocean tiles useless (the occasional fish to eat would be nice)?

Things I don't like: endless armies pouring forth from neutral cities (I had 12 such armies around my starter town by T34).

- where did all the resources go? The very occasional fertile tile, even sparser iron mines, a few herbal remedy tiles and not much else. My preference is for more resources. Do i need to start in the Air Realm if I want nice cities?

- no XP for retreated enemies; no XP if they take losses before retreating and then get mopped up the next turn

Looking forward to the development of the beta as my first experiences are positive (from someone who played MoM from the start and still does).

I miss being able to cultivate and improve tiles. I know it wasn't a MOM feature either, but I feel like my cities are just sort of plopped down camps without it.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    I miss being able to cultivate and improve tiles. I know it wasn't a MOM feature either, but I feel like my cities are just sort of plopped down camps without it.
    Strategic placement is everything! If you use the surveyor you can get a glimpse of what type of city will come from building in said location.

There might still be some way to shape the land, I didn't check yet but Nature Magic in MOM did allow you to change mountains to hills, swamps to grasslands, etc.

Also, not necessarily what you are looking for. But you can build roads with engineers. (if it's implemented, I've seen the unit but didn't try building a road yet.)

Who knows what the future holds with this fine group of developers? I'm just happy to see the core of the game being implemented nearly to the letter first. Then if they add stuff on top that jives well with the rest? Oh my, it'll just be awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12