Thread: Calin Radoi

Calin Radoi

This is a male High Men justicar (he's going to work like a general). The backer gave us very specidic feedback here.

This is what he had to say about Calin's “class”:

I looked at the original classes in MoM, and tried to find some on the WoM wiki. I'd like the Champion to fill an army commander role. I don't know if they'll actively take part in the battles as a unit, or if they'll hang back, heroes of might and magic style. A class which would passively buff the army it's attached to, extra experience, extra morale, etc. In the alternative, a witchhunter/inquisitor class would also be cool, maybe one with specific abilities against mages or the undead. Please don't make the champion a healer, or a priest, or something conceptually similar. I'm trying to go for a ruling military noble, not a supplicant member of the clergy.

So, what do we want to do with that direction?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    well since so far we have had to use existing core DnD classes as a base, and then use abilities from the wiki, so i'd go for a bard with inspire heroics, and a caster with low casting points (if caster is like MoM) with augmentation spells. that will give him the best ability for aiding the army he is with, abilities fit the class, able to wear decent armor (chain shirt, mithral buckler, for AC5) and use some swords and bows.

MoM had a bit more army boosting abilities, and DnD had leadership and a few auras to help make a leader type hero, so maybe we should have some of the classic MoM abilities come back or rework leadership into WoM, at which point there would be more room to work with the concept from a mechanical perspective.

Bard makes sense to me. Is there a way to sacrifice a bard's casting ability to boost his leadership abilities? Or is that a no-go?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    I was wondering about a 'Commander' class for my undead champ suggestion. The buffs are there in the wiki it's just the classes are quite limited.

inspire heroics is pretty much the highest leadership boost there is. from what i gather we pretty much only pick a few abilities to adjust classes (the HP, proficiencies, saves, and BAB) into their niche. so we could have a fighter with casting, or bard song abilities (inspire courage/greatness/heroics), or healing, or whatever we want to give him (the classes don't get class abilities like spell casting or bard songs on their own). i've been trying to keep the abilities i give them thematic to the DnD mechanics so as to retain a semblance of class association in addition to balance. i also assume there is levels to caster (and other abilities like the inspires that involve a non specified numeric amount), and that anyone with caster will have access to a few spells of their own, plus your own spell list (which makes it quite powerful relative to normal DnD, as the game is balanced for one spell a combat round and the caster ability doubles that amount during the most important rounds for spell casting).

Jamo, you make some good points on our having to work D20 concepts into WoM specific mechanics. There's not always a good fit...

War Troll, where is that post about the undead commander? I kind of remember it, but I don't know where it is. (Yes, I know I could find it myself. I'm feeling lazy and you already know where it is, lol.)

What I've done for the moment is base Calin on a "Knight". Which is to say Fighter in D20. However, I gave him some unit abilities that support the knight idea. Also, we've added Arms Master in line with the MoM hero ability. Calin just seemed to need it.

Anyway, this is what I came up with:

Calin

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    War Troll, where is that post about the undead commander? I kind of remember it, but I don't know where it is. (Yes, I know I could find it myself. I'm feeling lazy and you already know where it is, lol.)
    The champ suggestion (Amu-hah) here. He was meant to be an Unhallowed Commander type but I didn't know if the 'Inspire' type of abilities would work on Unhallowed so I made him a Hierophant with Bolster undead. I did make a human general with the relevant support buffs but just posted the other two instead.

for the most part, i am just suggesting that we view the heroes as we build them to be DnD classes operating as fighters (no abilities), then throw on MoM abilities to get the hero feel we want, and then check that against the abilities of the original DnD class to see if it matches thematically (based on mechanics, as that means a bard can be an armored mage, or an aura spewing champ, and so on), then convert the MoM abilities into WoM abilities.

so we should look at DnD abilities in MoM and see what is missing and would be useful (and look at adding it to WoM), then make sure that everything that DnD and MoM has WoM has. all of this without adding minigames or superfluous mechanics.

War Troll, thanks for the link

Jamo, I take your point. We can add more unit abilities as we need to. I added Arms Master yesterday for Calin.