Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Balkoth the Ill-Starred

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Actually, no tieflings and half demons are two different things.

Mechanically at least.

To be precise, Tieflings are a race and Half Demon/Fiend is a Template.

So you could be, say, an Elven Half Demon, or a Tiefling, or even, amusingly, a Tiefling Half Demon, but you can't be an Elven Tiefling.
    The Wiki.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    true, though lore wise the difference between tiefling and half fiend is the difference between a grandfather being a fiend vs. a father. the tiefling half demon is just a quirk of the dnd system.

if he is either we should add:
    cold resistance
    electrical resistance
    fire resistance

if he is half fiend add:
    acid resistance
    flying
    poison immunity
    weapon resistance
    spell resistance

or he may have been able to suppress all of that, or simply be a normal human afflicted with bad prophecies.

i think it would be funny if he is a normal human that was born with all of the signs that match a dark prophecy, but isn't actually the one the prophecy talks about. he thinks he is, but wants to fight the prophecy so much that he has amassed tons of power in his quest to purge himself of nonexistent taint, but can't (as it doesn't exist). so he keeps on trying, and the amassing of power convinces others that he is the one of the prophecy.

Maybe, might be interesting.

Mainly I wanted to make someone who has all the signs of 'doomed by plot' if this was an actual story and then, well, make him not predoomed no matter what he does.
    The Wiki.

ya, bucking the trend is always more interesting than going with the flow in a story.

I'm mulling this one over. I like the half-demon idea mechanically. However, if we reduce it to nothing more than that it may loose some flavor. On the other hand, I can't really get behind the ill-fated take. I can't decide if it goes too far or not far enough. (I sound like a crazy person don't I? Lol.)

Allow me to explain in detail:

Half-demons are fun. They're loaded with story opportunities right out of the box. They can be evil or good, ugly or beautiful, none of it matters. You can just pick a direction and start laying the tracks of a solid story. So, I like them a lot

On the other hand, when you contrast an out-of-the-box half-demon with a “child of fate” the normal half-demon stories can look a little formulaic and/or cliché. (One the other-other hand “child of fate” can be fairly cliché as well.) So, normally I would feel that “child of fate” is more interesting than half-demon, especially when that “child of fate” is a half-demon.

However, I don't think the stars lining up to make what turns out to be nothing more than a very, very ugly baby is enough. I mean, if people were really convinced that he was fated to be some super demon they would kill him. If they didn't kill him he would end up being that super ugly little three year old that everyone loved because he was so cute, in spite of his almost debilitating ugliness. People might stand around saying “Just wait until he's fifteen”, but once he actually was fifteen and turned out to be a nice guy they'd get over it. There's even a good chance he'd end up with a fine girlfriend. I mean, I've seen fine women with some of the ugliest men I've ever seen. I seem to be straying off topic... the point is that the “ugly by fate” explanation might not be enough. (And it kinda reminds me of Hellboy. I like Hellboy and all, but I don't think that's a connection we're trying to make.)

Now, if we pushed the “child of fate” further I think it could work. I think we would need some kind of prophecy around his birth that explained why he looked demonic, but was ambiguous enough so that the sages can't be certain whether he would be a savior or a monster. However, if we go that route I would actually like to have the prophecy written down (and that often goes wrong in stories). It just strikes me as a little “weak” to reference an ambiguous prophecy that isn't in the story itself.

Either way, that's what I'm thinking now. Do we have counter thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

if we make him ugly we need to make him at least a tiefling, with powers and such. if we go the non ugly route we should make whom the prophecy talks about ambiguous, like, "destruction of the world will be helped along by a child born may 20th 20:21." which could be a few thousand babies, but not common enough that you'd meet multiple. so if say half of them get killed when they are born, then few would exist in the world. which means that when you meet one you might assume that they are the one, especially when they are quite powerful.

if we go the route of being demonic, we shouldn't go too heavy in the prophecy direction, have it be more of a bias (racism sort of thing, but with religious overtones). if we go the prophecy route we shouldn't go the demon route.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    I think actually writing out a specific Prophecy is too... narrow, for our purposes. We need Champions that can feel right working under different Races and for Sorcerer Lords with different focuses. Something that broadly alludes to the appropriate Conjunction offers the amusing possibility of coding him so that he only becomes available in games after such a Conjunction actually occurs in the Random Events, though...

I really do see your point that the false-prophecy and half-demon angles... `conflict' isn't the right word, but might be piling too much into one concept. They distract from each other. I don't have a strong preference for one over the other, though. Hm... we currently have two Unhallowed, three High Men, and a scattering of not-current-Faction-races (Troll, Treant, and High Elf). And Simbey, who is probably a fourth High Man but doesn't actually specify. With a Dark Elf and Angel in the works.

...In that light, I think I lean towards False Prophecy over Half-Demon because it leaves us open to embody one of our many unrepresented Playable Races.

I still think this is one of our best places to add another female Champion. Alexia brings us up to 2, which isn't really a Grand Total. Note that that doesn't mean she would suddenly have to be stunningly attractive; I really liked that Happery said right away he was OK with reskinning it as a female as long as it didn't become a succubus type. If the physically deformed aspect is part of the character.. that may actually have more resonance with people if she's female. It would certainly be striking from an industry standpoint.

+1 to Lintking's ideas.

Personally I was envisioning him/her as having a large natural talent for so called 'evil magic' or at least negative energy channeling in response to Aaron's question, which would be why people are so doubtful about him. I mean, sure she claims that the reanimated chicken was an accident, but that doesn't help when you're woken up in the middle of the night by the thing breaking into the chicken coup and trying to kill everything inside...

Toss on another few incidents of out of control powers and figuring out how to get control of the stuff would be high on my list of things to do if I was Balkoth...
    The Wiki.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    I'm afraid that's going to read too close to things in Simbey's background - it's all centered on his misunderstood talent for death and fire magic.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast