Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Balkoth the Ill-Starred

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Oh! And the Titans -- we talked about it there, too, but wound up with 2 out of 14, compared to 8 males. (And four referred to as "it", which I'm graciously leaving out of the count.)

There's nothing "lol" about it, Happerry. There's a very deep bias in our culture, and maybe more importantly, sub-culture, that gets very noticeable if it isn't consciously addressed. Heck - we've *been* consciously addressing it, and it's still glaring, as noted. Jamoecw, I know the Champions, especially, were heavily constrained by the Backer Naming, but... for all that you're saying we're more aware of it here, we were given two "open slots" to work with after the Named Champions, and we're currently oh-for-two.

I will say that I disagree outright that egalitariasm is not, itself, a totally valid goal. However, unless somebody wants to make the case that including a few more female characters is going to somehow *hurt* the game... then you're just dismissing it for the sake of dismissing it. Excuse me - the sake of "lol dismissing it". Aleksey, I'm sure we're *all*, 100%, -1 on female characters without interesting backgrounds and traits. Or demon, zombie, plant, male, etc., characters without interesting backgrounds and traits. But there's nothing about the aspect of "female" that somehow negates having an interesting background. Most of the backgrounds that we've *used* could have applied just as easily to a female character; we just didn't. We had *lots* of interesting female options written up in the Sorcerer Lords; they just didn't get picked. The reason that I have had to bring it up in each, and every, single, stage, is because until I have, there haven't ever been more than two given any serious consideration. (Even in the SL's, where, as I say, quite a few were actually offered right from the start.)

And I'll point out that I'm hardly pressing for "gender equality" in any case. If we trade both Belkoth and Kelithengol for female Champions (whether we keep their backgrounds or scrap them and start over), we'd have one-third. That will be our *very best number* out of every category of character in the whole game. We're in NO danger of anybody looking at WoM and thinking, "Wow, these guys were trying too hard for gender equality!"

In this light, I vote -1 Balkoth. I'm posting an alternate Druid proposal in the Champions thread.

I like the idea of making Balkoth male. So, if/when the time comes for Balkoth I think we'll run with that unless we get a good counter-argument specific to the back story.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

I just e-dusted off the old ToDo list this morning. I plan to do some general work on the Wiki for the next few days. I'm probably going to take care of Balkoth tomorrow, but I may end up pushing it off until next week. I just thought I would let you guys know

Alright, we ended up with two druid champions before Balkoth and we were short of clerics. So, this is what I came up with:

Balkoth

Thoughts?

Excellent work, man

Will you be sad when all these are done? ;-D
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Not exactly sad, lol.

Nice!

Though I can't help thinking that he and our Valkyrie would make a badass battle couple...

Very much reminds me of Hellboy.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...in-d6i9x2d.jpg

He can't fly but is very tough and strong. Otherwise very similar. Except that he does his "turn undead" with large caliber weapons. Hey, if it works... =)

It did end up being very Hellboy. That was the first thing the pitch made me think of and it kinda shows, lol.

I'm having trouble with the "flying" part.
    Looks too much like a full demon.

I imagine a half demon to be a little less obviously demonic.

The look - sure.
    But how about something like fire breath and/or immolation instead of wings?
    Turn Undead... to ash. Other things too.

Maybe I'm thinking too subtle here and you want more in-yo-face diversity. *shrug*
    Last edited by Gazz; 06-06-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast