Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amberclaw

Amberclaw

OK guys, we're basically down to what may be our last Champion slot (obviously, just for the moment). We've had some more suggestions on the Champions thread that we may want to take a look at. Amberclaw is one of them. As always, I'll tweak the story to fit into the world lore as I see it, but here's Lintking's pitch:

Amberclaw was but an infant when Orcs drove the Grey Elves out of their homes and away from the woods. She was overlooked by the Orcs, but found by a Unicorn. She has never known her parents or her people... but she knows the Forest.
    For three hundred years, now, she has roamed the forest, and in many ways, has succeeded alone in where her family failed. Though Orcs do not wholly avoid the wood, few hunt there, and those who seek wood find trees that have already fallen. For the Elf of the Forest hunts there, and their parents, and grandparents, and great-grandparents, tell stories about her. She guides the lost safely out, but slays without mercy those who threaten her home. She is the one they tell their children will come and find them if they don't finish their meat. She might be that bear, or a jaguar, or even that hawk flying above. Deadly and elusive, she has haunted the land all her life.

But now, strange ripples run through the wind. Her animals tell her of growing darkness. Even the Orcs are behaving strangely. A war comes that will engulf not only her small forest, but the whole world. Even the Unicorns are worried. Perhaps it is time to leave the comforts of her home. Perhaps it is time to ally herself with something greater.

Class: Druid
    Abilities: Caster, Fear, Forester, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Wild Shape
    Perks: Evasion, Far Shot

Amberclaw is basically “running against” Balkoth the Ill-Starred. I think Balkoth should be a male character. Amberclaw is a very solid female character.

So, thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    A pretty obvious +1 from me, both because I wrote her and, more, for the underlying reasons for which I did. But I do think she's a solid concept and significantly different from the other Champions we have.

I will note that I really do like Balkoth's concept -- if we do put Amberclaw in for the initial release, he's definitely one I'd hope to see in a later DLC. Possibly when we have time to do some more interesting programming around his concept, like actually tying his appearance to a Conjunction Random Event. If we shape a DLC around, perhaps, Dark Omens or some other demonic overtones, he'd be pretty awesome.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    If Balkoth doesn't make the base set, I am totally in support of an Evil Omens Expansion for the powers of darkness.
    The Wiki.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    i've let it percolate for a bit and i think she is perfect for the last champion.

Just the name "Evil Omens Expansion" is cool, lol.

We'll give this a day or so more to see how much support it gets.

I do plan to tweak the lore a little bit (as I always do), but in the main it's good

Anyone else want to weigh in here?

We've not gotten a lot of +1s and I'm trying to come to a decision. (Even -1s would help me here, lol.) Basically Amberclaw is running directly against Balkoth. I'd like to get a little more feedback before I make a call.

Does anyone have anything to add?

Which champion fills a hole? Is there something missing from the list of champions that one of these two could fill?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    balkoth's story is more interesting, however amberclaw is a fairly default elf champion story, which is lacking in the champions (at least the ones that have been presented). as for the female angle, generally they have fairly interesting backstories, or are about why that champion is female. so amberclaw presents a rather neutral backstory, without making her a woman a big deal, which is something we don't have yet.

I think either of them would be a good fit.

Things have gotten quiet here, so unless someone says something today I think I'll just run with Amberclaw tomorrow. For one thing, we may have one more slot "open" after the weekend. I plan to send out an e-mail to the backer tomorrow. If I don't hear anything by Monday we'll just go ahead with another champion. (Which is to say Balkoth.)

+1 for Amberclaw in that case.

While she is a painfully stereotype wood elf, Balkoth's story just doesn't mean anything in the game. Or is there a game mechanic attached to being ill-fated, cursed, whatever? If not then the story is an obvious fake and Amberclaw has a better one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast