Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battleboard Pacing

Those are some good ideas. Any of you who want to post "starting layouts" can feel free. As I said, starting positions are easy to change, so we may end up testing a few of them
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lintking View Post
    If it's tied to a Hero perk, then people who don't want to use it would find whatever Heroes had it too annoying to use.
    I don't see how if it's just 1 mouse click to accept default positions.

Actually, I can see it - but I doubt that I see the same thing. =)

Variable starting positions:

• Imagine that your starting positions are not on the map but on a free-floating overlay. (a layer on top of the map)

• The computer auto-allocates your units on the overlay.
      Melee towards enemy, ranged troops toward the rear.

• You enter the tac battle and you have the whole "formation" attached to your mouse pointer.

• You can move the whole formation around until you see a starting position you like.
      • Play defensively and move the whole gang further back or to a place where your melee troops can use some natural obstacles to close a choke point.
      • You want to close quickly and move everyone as far ahead as possible.
      • Place your troops so that the swampy area is covering your left flank.

• Initiative values can determine how far you get to move your starting positions.
      If your army was ambushed, you don't get to move very far at all.

• This system scales perfectly because the effort of picking starting positions is the same for 1 unit as for 20.
      No micromanagement necessary. (or possible =)

• Since the placement inside your formation is computer-controlled, the player doesn't get to "cheat" by using setups that are too advantageous.
      It also creates the opportunity to make ambush and surprise matter.
      Imagine your troops start in a column "traveling" formation with random unit placement, not spread out and deployed for battle... while the enemy attacks from both sides of the "road" so there is no safe rear area to deploy your crunchy ranged units.
      An ambush could matter a great deal - beyond just who gets to move first.
    Last edited by Gazz; 06-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    Definitely big +1 to controlled animation speed.

Something which could be nice to speed up combat is having simulatneous movement, that while a unit is playing it's move/attack animation, you can start moving another unit and so on. It may be tricky to implement due to AoO and similar effects, but in most cases it should work fine.

Group movement is also something that could be useful, selecting several units and moving them all towards a direction (keeping their relative positions).
    +1
    I can't believe everyone missed this - SIMULTANEOUS MOVEMENT - Obviously the actions will still be sequential but the animations will start as soon as you click them. This will take care of 90% of battlefield monotany. It will also make the battles way more stylistic and fun to play. You can even add an option to allow the AI's animations to be somewhat simultaneous (like a 1-2 second delay between the start of each induvidual animation). Please implement this

(is it just me or what this possible in the original battleboard... before it was "fixed" lol)

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torin View Post
    (is it just me or what this possible in the original battleboard... before it was "fixed" lol)
    No, it's not just you. The animations would stack in the early battleboard.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torin View Post
    +1
    I can't believe everyone missed this - SIMULTANEOUS MOVEMENT - Obviously the actions will still be sequential but the animations will start as soon as you click them. This will take care of 90% of battlefield monotany. It will also make the battles way more stylistic and fun to play. You can even add an option to allow the AI's animations to be somewhat simultaneous (like a 1-2 second delay between the start of each induvidual animation). Please implement this

it has been talked about before. most turn based games fail at this, maybe for good reason, i don't know (it seems simple enough, but what it seems isn't always what it is). there was another kickstarter game called battleworld kronos that emphasized that they had this. being able to do perform actions while the rest of your units are still running animations is nice, as it gets the advantages of turning off animations while keeping the advantages of having animations. if it is low hanging fruit i'd want this for sure, but i wouldn't want them to sacrifice much for it.

We can certainly give it a think. It shouldn't be difficult to implement. Either way, there are a lot of tweaks we need to look at. This may be one of them.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Apprentice
    The Merciless Deserts of the American Southwest
    I played Mechwarrior Tactics for a while; hex-and-turn tactical game. Both players made their orders in the first part of the turn, blind, then everything was resolved together in the second part. I'd be jump-jetting my catapult onto a ridge while shooting at your madcat while your mad cat pulverizes my jenner, which is trying to zig-zag between light and heavy cover. Fun system but it might be too complicated to implement at this stage, in fact my gut tells me it's too late to do a complete battle-system change at this stage in development.

I've got maybe 150 turns in this beta and only fought druids and gremlins in my games (the little guys... idk if that's their real name lol) and I've also played some arena matches. I don't think the battle-board has anything majorly bad with it... the distances some people complain about I don't think are a big deal. Just means there's more time for my crossbows to eviscerate those pansy druids. I'm actually kinda happy with the pacing as-is, it feels like MoM and gives plenty of space to make some small maneuvers.
    "It matters not, how straight the gate, how charged with punishment the scroll. I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." -Invictus.

I was one felt the battleboard pacing was too slow. In the most recent version of the game, it seems perfect. The team has done a great job of improving it.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    ya, i wouldn't want that for this game (too much happens in one turn for you not to be able to react). the idea is that instead of having the option to disable the animations, it figures out the result immediately before it does the animation. then lets you move someone else while one of your guys is hitting someone else with their axe (or sword or what ever), which it then calculates what the result of that would be taking into account the result of things you have already ordered (in order as well mind you), and simply figures out if it should play the animation now or wait until another animation has finished (like if you told someone to move onto a square occupied by an enemy that is currently being killed).

it is like artificial neural network AIs, the concept isn't too hard, and all the components are in use already, yet somehow it is so difficult that it is a selling point when you achieve such.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast