Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mana Shield

Mana Shield

Mana Shield
    Circles: Life, Protection
    Description: Any enemy Sorcerer Lord casting a spell that targets your Sorcerer Lord (including cities and units under his control) must pay 1.5X the normal mana cost of the spell.

I'm trying to get this moved to the spell list. We need to pick a tier. However, this one may have to wait a while. At the moment we don't know just how many spells will actually target a Sorcerer Lord (or their cities) so it may be hard to select a good tier.

Thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Also units ? Will it affect tactical spells it too ? If it does, then it must be tier 8 or 9.

That's a good point? Should it apply to spells on the Battle Board?

I think it probably should from a lore point of view. That being the case we could make it tier 9 Protection. Or we could try tier 8 Life, Protection.

Thoughts?

Tier 8 for Life, Protection sounds good to me.

Battlemage
    Eh I'm not sure how this is so powerful? I don't see myself casting this spell as it doesn't actually prevent any spells from being cast. A few more rounds to casting time hardly seems good tradeoff considering you yourself have to first pay the casting cost & then upkeep of this spell. This would be useful only on a tactical map where casting skill is more of a limiting factor.

According to Aaron, it does apply to the tactical map, which makes it very powerful. And "a few more rounds to casting time" means actually less spells cast. If your ennemy neads +50% time to cast each spell, it means it'll cast 33% less spells at the end. In 10 turns he could normally cast 5 spells requiring 2 turns (like, summons), but he'll just be able to cast 3 spells (at 3 turns each) now. Which is really a major difference.

If it applies to the tactical map, then yep tier 8 or 9. If just strategic, I could see a range of 5-7.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

kilobug, is right. This is a VERY powerful spell. You can only cast a Casting Skill's worth of spells per tactical combat. So, upping the cost by 1.5 actually reduces the number of spells you can cast in a combat against a shielded Sorcerer Lord by 50%. On top of that any time time they cast against you it's going to eat up mana and casting time. I think you'll see it very easily once we get it into play testing

For now we'll make it 8 Life, Protection.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    +1 to tier 9 Protection.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Battlemage
    Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    According to Aaron, it does apply to the tactical map, which makes it very powerful. And "a few more rounds to casting time" means actually less spells cast. If your ennemy neads +50% time to cast each spell, it means it'll cast 33% less spells at the end. In 10 turns he could normally cast 5 spells requiring 2 turns (like, summons), but he'll just be able to cast 3 spells (at 3 turns each) now. Which is really a major difference.
    It means they will be casting disjunction or equivalent and depending on which one costs more either you paid more mana or they did.

However as said it's indeed powerful if it affects tactical map. I suspect I'll be casting mana leak (which has been proposed) on tactical more often than this. Then again you actually have to cast mana leak which means you lose one turn and its costs' worth of mana unlike with this spell which is a global constant once cast.

Time will tell I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast