Thread: Mystic X

Hybrid View

Mystic X

Recent conversations about the possibility of hero clones and the like made me think of something-

Will we have a completely random hero/champion a la MoM (and MOO2)'s Mystic X?

Backstory could be something like a reincarnated entity that takes a new form in each cycle, or something along those lines.

We might be able to do something like this if the idea is a popular one (which I expect it to be, lol).

What do you guys think?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We might be able to do something like this if the idea is a popular one (which I expect it to be, lol).

What do you guys think?
    It's popular with me!
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

This also started here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Clones with different names and the same backstory - yes, basically.

But each clone is slightly but noticeably different.
    In Balkoth's case, one Balkoth would be flying, another would be more Hellboy-ish and just a tough cookie, yet another might have fire breath.

Not every sorcerer needs to be able to get the exact same "super" heroes each time. Part of the strategy is playing with the cards you were dealt.
    I was thinking of clones of regular heroes / champions rather than genuinely random ones.

In case of Balkoth, the ability list might look like:

1. Random (4)
      • Banish
      • Banish
      • Banish
      • Disintegrate
    2. Caster
    3. Fire Immunity
    4. Random (3)
      • Flying
      • Breathe Fire
      • Immolation and hardened skin
    5. Improved Turning
    6. Purify
    7. Spell Resistance
    8. Random (4)
      • Nothing
      • Nothing
      • Healer
      • Regeneration

This is a simple way to add
    • rare abilities (see 1.)
    • bonus abilities (8.)
    • or simply multiple choices ones (4.)

A completely random hero is a grab bag. No telling if the stats / abilities will make any kind of sense.
    With limited or themed randomness you preserve the character of a hero while allowing some leeway on the actual abilities.
    Then you stick a random name on this "clone" and hey presto, procedurally generated hero. =)
    Last edited by Gazz; 06-09-2014 at 12:26 PM.

I like the idea of procedurally produced clones. But Mystic X was a classic part of MoM.

Oh, and I just thought of a name for our version: The Protean.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    But Mystic X was a classic part of MoM.
    Yes, but he (she, it?) was one oddity. What I propose is a far broader system that still allows for the creation of a Mystic X.

Simply build an ability list of all Random(5) choices and you have a very very random Mystic X. =)

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Yes, but he (she, it?) was one oddity. What I propose is a far broader system that still allows for the creation of a Mystic X.

Simply build an ability list of all Random(5) choices and you have a very very random Mystic X. =)
    actually mystic x had 5 random (14) and one caster(5) for abilities. pretty much anyone with random (x) would have random (7, 10, or 14).

your method of randomization would give each person a personalized random list weighted towards certain abilities, which is good, but would be a lot of work for little pay off, instead having certain random lists based on class (example: random (barbarian) ) would have a similar effect and take much less dev time (maybe simplify it with fighter, rogue, mage, cleric for the initial build, with more in DLC), and also have the option of using external files for easy modding of lists (and thus weighting like in your example).

so:

1. Caster
    2. Fire Immunity
    3. Purify
    4. Spell Resistance
    5. Flying
    6. Random (mage)
    7. Random (cleric)
    8. Random (cleric)

a little less custom tailored, but more random and hopefully easily modifiable via external files on champs and ability lists.
    mod example:
    1. Caster
    2. Fire Immunity
    3. Purify
    4. Spell Resistance
    5. Improved Turning
    6. Random (balkoth_1)
    7. Random (balkoth_2)
    8. Random (balkoth_3)

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    mom's heroes (and champs) had an amount of random abilities for each one, and thus the heroes were slightly different each playthrough (unless they had 0 random abilities, which a few had). random x had the most random abilities, and 0 fixed abilities.

i like the idea of mystic x and some random abilities for heroes, the question becomes dev time/effort.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    The Heroes on MoM had loose "classes" assigned to them and the ones with random skill slots were assigned skills from a pool appropriate for their class.

I would favor this simplistic random assignment method to the procedural one proposed above.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    To be precise, they had fighter skills and magic skills, and heroes either had a random fighter skill slot, a random magic skill slot, or a omni random skill slot that could take from both.
    The Wiki.