Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Guys Think So Far?

Thanks for the feedback guys! It makes me feel good to know we're on the right track
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Arcane Candidate
    Hi everybody, I have a few specific remarks. I will not repeat what was already said, so here is what I have to say:

It should be possible to further zoom out the main map.
    I got stucked in the middle of opponents turn with no other way but to quit the game (turn 13).
    Relatively (for my taste) small number of enemies and cities on the map.
    Before combat I prefer to get informed of the strongest opponent unit (decission whether start combat or not).
    Automatic (computer) combat sometimes shows no casaulties, but entire troop i gone.
    Battle is still somewhat unplayable, slow (6GB RAM), grafic is sometimes blurry, on the desert almost everything is too yellow.

All the best for the next work, you are going fine!

Elfkam111, thanks for the feedback

You'll be happy to hear that:

The number of World Features (and therefor enemies) is due to be increased soon. In the long run we may offer players a setting to turn the frequency up or down.

We are planning to give the player some idea of what they're about to fight. The exact mechanics just haven't been worked out yet.

The automatic resolution system is still in its infancy. It will be a lot more robust when it's finished.

We're working on the battleboards. In the long run they should be much improved.

Hmm, I just thought of an issue that I noticed about the city militia. I still haven't gotten very far because I have to do it all in one go, but in their current state there's too many militia units/they are too strong. I usually opt for making pure buildings in early game until I notice threats or something that I want to capture (making a few units as necessary). Currently, I'm not really punished for doing so. Any roaming units are easily thwarted by my militia, making it so I don't need to keep units close to home. I should be punished for not making any units to counter the roaming creatures, but currently they do nothing (unless they attack and kill my scouting units). Though I don't think the militia should be removed entirely, as I wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep on enough units to have even one scout and still defend my capitol then. Though, I suppose that with magic I might barely be able to do it. Keep in mind that all of this is for the early game, I cannot say how they are with the mid to late game.
    Last edited by Curtis6566; 08-04-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Arcane Candidate
    Noticed some more stuff: I need more right-click info. When I right-click on a thing, it would be nice to get a pop-up box that tells me about that thing like the original MoM.

I was also able to get a unit to stand on top of an enemy unit when what I wanted was to attack.

The city enchantments are non-intuitive as well. I cast a city enchant multiple times before I figured out how to cast it on a city by clicking the red book mark. When I click the news item about the spell, it should automatically "ready" it. Also, the standard UI form of Verb > Noun would make things easier as well (Select spell, select city). The current mode is Noun > Verb (I select a city and then select the spell).

Acolyte
    My biggest problems, and the only things that really keep me from wanting to play, are as follows:

the enemies just stream endlessly to my town. I say town, because it takes like 60 turns just to build 2 buildings, nevermind a settler. And I don't need to build new units because I don't have the money to support them, and the 'militia' are pretty much undefeatable against the trickle of 1-unit invaders.

My starting units that I take out to explore are equally as useless, as they do not seem to be able to 'heal' through fortify, which means they last 2, maybe 3 battles before they die. So basically the game thus-far is me sitting in my city, pressing the 'end turn' button, and waiting for stuff to build as I click the auto-battle button nonstop against the fodder that comes along.

Also, my units do not gain experience past the first battle. They get 50 points, and then nothing else no matter what the results say, so I can't even level them to make them more durable.

However I'm not discouraged. I can be as patient and understanding as necessary if you can deliver me a MoM successor.

The city militia is likely to go in the long run. It certainly won't work like it does right now either way. At the moment they're basically free units to keep your city safe. As soon as we've got things a bit more balanced out I think we'll drop them (at least temporarily). If we put them back they will have more robust mechanics.

One of the issues here actually has to do with taxes. You can raise or lower your empire's taxes with the +/- keys. Higher taxes generate more gold, but increase unrest. Religious buildings reduce unrest and garrisoned military units suppress rebels. So, you have to strike a balance to get the income you want without making your citizens rebel. You can certainly afford to have a garrison and units in the field. You just have to get the balance right. We're going to build a better interface for changing taxes soon. It's also something I need to mention in the getting started guide.

Verjigorm, what kind of things would you like to right click?

If you have that issue with your army standing on top of an enemy army please post it in the bug reports post:

Bug Reports

We are going to change the way casting strategic spells works. You're not the only one it's confused. It definitely needs some tweaking.

Maniacal1, we're working on balancing the roaming creatures making them more entertaining to deal with. (It's not a great deal of fun to face one insignificant unit time and time again.)

We're also looking at tweaking the production costs on buildings. One question: Have you reassigned any of your farmers to be workers? (I only ask because it would be an easy thing to overlook if you hadn't played MoM in a while.)

The healing mechanics got bugged in the last build. They're fixed internally, so that won't be a problem once we push out the new build.

The not gaining experience issue is probably a bug. Could you post more details in the bug reports post?

We're working hard to make WoM something special, something worthy of being called a successor to MoM. We're not there yet, but we're on the road

Maniacal1, if it's taking so long to build buildings in your game, have you tried adjusting the number of farmers and workers in your cities?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Acolyte
    Greetings!So about the Late Alpha,first impressions!
    A very beautiful game creator with nice art and stuff (choose world,wizard,magic race etc). As for the game i think you are at the right way..considering cities,map,spells & combat you are almost there... i agree with other players about info,,space to end turn etc.We of course need many races,different units,atmospheric global events (i mean with animated art and music) and generally anything that could help to create proper atmosphere ...haven't seen any heroes yet.

Question: Music has been added to game? (i get some only when i click arena not in the menu or during the game play)?Cause i am wondering if i have a problem with my sound configuration...
    Keep up the good work!

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Verjigorm, what kind of things would you like to right click?
    Units - show current/total HP, defense, attack, special abilities, experience, etc.

Terrain Squares (or the survey command cursor like in MoM) so that I can see the roll-up totals on the benefits of building a city in a particular location

Scouting information (like unit estimates in a location) when a scout is within range of the location--in the original MoM you could do this with enemy units and cities you could see and you could also scout lairs by entering them (you would get the option to retreat).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    If you have that issue with your army standing on top of an enemy army please post it in the bug reports post:
    Bug Reports
    Posted my current bug log. I stopped recording "missing text" cosmetics because there were too many and I figured you guys are probably already aware of them.

I would also note that I'm having fun messing with the game! It's quite cool so far and I'm excited to see it evolve.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast