Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Difficulty Level

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudge View Post
    I always thought that a couple of sliders to adjust difficulty level would be nice. I play Civilizations with my wife. She does not like to compete against me because she is not a strategy person but she likes building cities helping me research, exploring etc. We usually play 2 vs 3 vs 3 against ai or 2vs2vs2vs2 giving ai bonuses, we even tried 2 against a whole bunch of ones on deity level but the game got too easy or just ridiculously unfair. (on deity they all start with 2 settlers two warriors 2 scouts advanced tech etc...) The reason i am talking about this is because I always thought a easy solution to difficulty levels could be some simple sliders so you could adjust things to make things a challenge but not ridiculous.

To do this all numbers would have to be decimal values and sliders have a very good granularity. The jump on most games from hard to god makes the game ridiculous and there is no in between. Either the game is too easy or too hard and you get bored. With an "infinite" granularity sliders on individual aspects you could adjust to your play style. The sliders idea, I thought, would translate well to this game. Example sliders

Income where you could increase their per population income
    Growth slider where you could increase their population growth rate.
    Tech slider where you could increase their study rate.
    Magic slider increasing magic generation from all sources.
    Production rate sliders increasing building and unit creation rates.
    And even though I don't like it hit point/stat sliders.

The idea is the user can up (or down) just one aspect of the game to give it the extra chalenge, or in the case of my wife and I (if you get multiplayer going and it allows cooperative) we could double everything so we could play as a team on equal footing against individual AIs. This could even be used to give 2 humans "equal footing" in the case of experienced players playing against newbies or 2 on 1s etc.
    I love this idea. Adding to the six sliders Nudge mentioned, I'd like to suggest an experience slider, a luck slider for random events, and a damage slider, even though I won't use the last one myself. I'd also like to have an advanced start option for when you want to play against an AI that starts stronger than you. (Or weaker than you, if you really want to.)
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Another good way is to make sure the AI relentlessly hammers a weakly defended city until it is taken. Multiple sorcerer - lord AI's should be able to work together on something like this.
    AIs being able to work together is a good thing, but I want to vote against anything like "The AIs are always allied against you, no matter what their claimed diplomatic statuses with each other are'. Two AIs at war against you or allied with each other should be able to work together, but they shouldn't preemptively ally just to kill you. They should treat each other as rivals too.
    The Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    AIs being able to work together is a good thing, but I want to vote against anything like "The AIs are always allied against you, no matter what their claimed diplomatic statuses with each other are'. Two AIs at war against you or allied with each other should be able to work together, but they shouldn't preemptively ally just to kill you. They should treat each other as rivals too.
    On Impossible setting, I think pretty much everything needs to be against you all the time.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower Morak's Avatar
    Along with some of the other suggestions what about giving the AI higher level starting units at higher difficulty settings?

Please, also consider the calculation time for a good AI.
    So far it already takes half a minute for AI ioponents to complete turn at turn 150, medium world, 2 oponents on a quad core i5 .

E.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    i think the AI should operate independently of each other, but have a tendency to ally with one another as you gain strength. so if you are doing poorly they will fight among themselves, but if you are doing well they will seek each other's assistance. one advantage of this is that if at some point the diplomacy gets beefed up it will create good ground work for the AI to handle such upgrades. another advantage is that the difficulty level will self adjust to a degree (which can be tweaked by adjusting the weighting of allying with each other) based on your own skill level and taking into account RNG setbacks from your play style/options.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower bloss's Avatar
    I assumed that on higher difficulty levels the AI would just have a head start and be a bit further along in development. But still not have any secret information.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    On Impossible setting, I think pretty much everything needs to be against you all the time.
    That's a fair belief. But if two AIs are at war with each other, they shouldn't drop everything just because you're score hit a certain point and team up with their worse enemies just to gank you.

It's that kind of thing that makes me barely bother with Diplomacy in Civ, because everyone ends up my enemies anyway no matter how much I bribe them or how long we've been allied beforehand.

Impossible should be hard, yes, but everyone else in existence shouldn't drop everything just to kill you, they still have their own interests to look after.
    The Wiki.

Adept Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by bloss View Post
    I assumed that on higher difficulty levels the AI would just have a head start and be a bit further along in development. But still not have any secret information.
    I don't like giving them beginning advancements. This leads to many reloads do to frustration and once you get a good spot the game is too easy. If you start off too close to an aggressive AI you have no chance and end up being overwhelmed. If you have enough buffer you quickly build up to where they are at and then, because everything else is equal, the game becomes trivial as you surpass their abilities. This was a problem I ran into with deity on CIV teaming up with my wife. Once we survived the initial "unfairness" of their starting advantages the outcome was an inevitable win. So we played 150 or so turns on the brink of disaster and then we knew we won and just went through the motions for the remainder of boring same old thing turns. If we were stuck too close to an AI at the start, the game was over. There was no happy medium for a challenge.

OK, I like the ideas here. I especially like the sliders.

I'm reading whether or not I really weigh in right now. So, please, keep posting away.

Happerry, the AI isn't always going to be out to destroy you, but the higher the difficulty the harder it should be to maintain a diplomatic peace.

ekrizan, we haven't streamlined the AI much yet. It should get faster and faster as we refine it
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast