Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Feedback

Arcane Candidate

Early Feedback

I've played the game for a while, and something quickly jumped out at me:

Problem: Early game is slow and boring. It takes too long to explore, build, research, or otherwise accomplish anything.

Armies move too slow - base move of 4 would allow faster exploration and allow larger maps. Base move 2 only works on maps with large hexes / squares, like Civ V.

Building / researching should take a base of 4-8 turns in early game, not 10-20. Something should happen every few turns to keep people interested, especially for new players. Reduce times of early actions, increase later, such as every spell increasing cost of researching the next one. Build + research + craft + cast should have something popping every 2 turns, if early game base speed is 8 turns for something to happen in each.

I usually play Civ V in Epic mode, so I am used to slower than normal games. As it was, I found this game as boring as Fallen Enchantress.

I had other issues, but most of those were due to a lack of in game feedback (how big is a city's radius?) and will likely become clear as the game is polished.

Thanks for the feedback! Tweaking the production costs could be a good idea, especially on the lower tier buildings. It would help speed up the early game a bit. The same may be true of research costs. It's something we need to keep in mind as testing continues.

We plan to address the city radius issue soon. We would also appreciate it if any of you have more ideas on in-game feedback.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    I have no problems with the pace, I prefer to start small and have a long build-up. Goodie-huts (like abandoned carts containing materials for prod boost or Arms cache increasing the finders AC/Attack) might make exploration more fun. It's a little late to add units but a starter Scout unit with higher move and LOS might be good as well. In stacks they could help with world feature intel as well to reduce their redundancy.

As for City radius I would really like the workable tiles represented in the city GUI a la MoM.

I'm happy with the current building pace. 10-20 turns was right at about what MoM had. Speeding it up a little might appeal to more modern gaming tastes, but I wouldn't go too much faster IMHO.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I don't want a too fast initial building rate or unit movement, but then I'm used to early civs et MoM-style pacing. Could we have a civ4/civ5-like "speed" option ? That affects research/building speed (but not unit speed), like in those. It seems relatively easy to implement, but maybe it has some implications on the AI that I don't realize.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    We will implement "fast movement" feature that will double the speed of all units at the world map. This will be an option to be chose when starting new game.

Also we are working on a world features density to balance it much more properly.

Arcane Candidate
    Going to try the fast movement now. A +50% / -50% time to build / research option might be useful to experiment with as well.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    early civ used goodie huts and roving bands of fodder (they were roughly as strong to 50% as strong as the most basic unit) to break up monotony, and with only one city that couldn't do anything 20 turns went by in about a minute or two. at 2 cities things were a lot more interesting and a bit slower (the fun ramped up until micromanagement became an issue).

but ya, tweaking options are an excellent idea.

How fast do the AI turns go for other people? For me, they've been going by quite quickly. I maybe wait 3-5 seconds for the most part. I'm pretty happy with that. Anyone else experience this differently?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

I like the slow pace too. If a fast movent is going to be an option, that sounds like a good compromise
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast