Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle for Battleboards

Battle for Battleboards

Meanwile, at the headquarters...

Currently we've been working on our battleboards. We decided that we should get a better quality scenes. Below you can see some WIP screenshots from the new Prime Plane battleboard. This should be more or less the quality of the final battleboards for Worlds of Magic.

What do you think?

BTW: The Elves won this fight. Sorry, undead fanboys... :]

And the Fire Plane:

Last edited by Marcin3D; 08-06-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Looks nice, are the obstacles simply that or do you get cover/blocked LOS for ranged etc?

For now we don't have any cover mechanics for obstacles. I'm not sure if we want to make one. So far the obstacles are there just to make the movements harder, and to make the player think about his/her strategy on the battleboard. They are randomized.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Ah cool thanks for the response. Is the grid 16x16? Was there any reason for this (I love that it's nice and big, I hate small battleboards)

Visually it looks great!
    I'd really like the obstacles to provide cover, I'm glad to hear they are random though.
    Can obstacles be created and destroyed such as via spells? For example can the log/stump in the screen be burned via fire attacks, is there earth magic maybe that will raise up a rock in a spot, etc.

Again though it looks fantastic.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    i like it, as it will help break up the monotony of battles. as for cover, the more i think about it the more i realize how much such a decision would impact other aspects of the game, adding a new layer of complexity to balancing the game. at this point in development i would be weary of such a decision.

That looks really nice.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    The obstacles are only going to block the movement.

We never intended to block LOS, as this would really impact the balance and would require a lot of AI coding changes. I would really prefer to spend this on mastering the already implemented mechanics.

sounds interesting, perhaps could make the obstacles impede ranged attacks or lower the to hit chance for the squares right behind them?
    I understand it could be a problem for the AI, but some tactical options in the board would be interesting.

A question will the obstacles represent the surrounding terrain? I mean, if I am fighting in plains will it be mostly clear? or in forest will it be knee deep in trees? will there be roads in the board if I am fighting close to one and that kind of things?

Acolyte
    Looks great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast