Thread: Significant visible lag while scrolling map

Arcane Candidate

Significant visible lag while scrolling map

As requested on the Steam forums, I am reposting it here for tracking and visibility...

When scrolling the map, I get visible and significant lag. It is a stutter (not a microstutter), that occurs in very short intervals regularly while the map is in motion. It is significant enough to seriously detract from gameplay. It happens no matter which scrolling method (mouse/kb) I use.

My system specs:

• I7-930 @ 4ghz
    • 48gb of RAM @ 1600
    • 23gb L1 Disk cache (in RAM), 30gb L2 Disk cache (on fast SSD)
    • 2x ATI 6870's in Crossfire (tried disabling, no change)
    • 3x 27" Monitors in 3x1 Portrait Eyefinity, 2160x1280 or 3240x1920
    • Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
    • Everything watercooled

The only thing I haven't tried is physically disabling the crossfire link cable during a cold boot.

I did a CrystalDiskMark test, and made a screen capture of my Disk Cache software's primary screen so you could see where the performance and near-zero latency comes from. They are both on my Imgur WoM album.

I don't know where else the visible stutter would come from - possibly an incompatibility with Eyefinity and multiple monitors? Or just an unoptimized visual rendering of the map.

Developer
    It's connected to the map generation. We'll take a look at this, but no eta yet.

Arcane Candidate
    Do you mean "generation of new areas" Beo? I get it when scrolling even over the same areas under fog-of-war that I have already been over. I could scroll around for an hour, and it would continue the entire time. Would it be re-generating stuff over and over?

Glad to let you simply look at it, just hoping the diagnosis isn't misdirected.

Arcane Candidate
    A quick bit of feedback: Bug persists on build 2603:2604M.

Developer
    The next build should bring significant change in this matter, as well as faster map generation.

Arcane Candidate
    Build 2793: Better performance, less overall stutter, but still jittery when moving all over the map (and not quickly). It is a visible jitter, almost a microstutter. About half impact of what it was.

Resolution 2160x1280, Graphics Quality: Good, Vsync off, AA off, glow/bloom on, SSA off (both). Using Crossfire on two 6870's.

I think given the current overland map performance, I still would not choose to play the game. Testing for 30 seconds is painless, playing for hours on end would give a migraine the way it is.

Arcane Candidate
    Think I found root cause on this jittery performance for the map. Closing RadeonPro prior to launch returns smooth map scrolling. That indicates the game has issues with dynamic framerate control, perhaps. That was the primary function I was using it for during testing.

Don't have issues with RP in other games of this nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jᴧgᴧ View Post
    Think I found root cause on this jittery performance for the map. Closing RadeonPro prior to launch returns smooth map scrolling. That indicates the game has issues with dynamic framerate control, perhaps. That was the primary function I was using it for during testing.

Don't have issues with RP in other games of this nature.
    I am running on nVidia, any idea how to test this there? Mine is also lagging when scrolling (windowed mode)...