Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Very first impression

Adept Sorcerer
    Thanks for replying and, sorry for my bluntness
    It's a byproduct of my previous attempts with another "spiritual successor", where most of the feedback we provided went basically ignored...

I do not expect this to be the case here!

About enemy attacks, I've also noticed that roaming "things" will beeline unmercifully for your weak stuff. Makes sense but it's a bit unforgiving, since it happens seemingly 100% of the time.
    Might be something that varies with the difficulty setting in the final game.

Oh, and I did notice there's a flag on the units, eventually.
    Last edited by mastroego; 10-13-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Mage’s Assistant
    You know i still dont know why this isnt getting more attention, is the saved game bug, which really should be a deal breaker for players untill its fixed. Instead im hearing some complaint about fonts as #1 concern.

Maybe none of you are getting any real time into this game and how can you real get the feel of the game. Because this bug triggers only usually at least 50 turns or so into the game. Where the game will not save or the game save is gliched. You obviously can not play the game in one sitting so I m amazed anyone can even make practical comments since you can not really get into the depth of the game.

Developer
    I've seen many 200-300+ turns saves. What do you mean by "not saving"? Can you open the save window? Or you can save but the save isn't overwritten?

Adept Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktop4158 View Post
    You know i still dont know why this isnt getting more attention, is the saved game bug, which really should be a deal breaker for players untill its fixed. Instead im hearing some complaint about fonts as #1 concern.
    Well the UI is kind of necessary to play so I really can't put many hours into this if it means I get headaches by the minute fonts (ok, maybe not just by those but they do help and the point is that's a completely unnecessary and avoidable issue), or I can't easily understand how the various stuff works.
    Of course you can learn the peculiarities of the UI, but I've played other games and it's usually a much easier process. To me this seems like a key issue if we want to invade the worldwide markets

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Beo View Post
    I've seen many 200-300+ turns saves. What do you mean by "not saving"? Can you open the save window? Or you can save but the save isn't overwritten?

Exactly....can open, doesnt write anything, also have game auto-save every turn, doesnt.

Yeah one of the patches seemed to fix it, I forget which one, then it was back.

Tanktop, what exactly happens when you try to save and load a game? (Sorry if I've overlooked a previous explanation. I've been rather busy the last few days.) Please be as descriptive as you can. Also, can you zip all your save games and send them to us. You can e-mail them (along with a description of the problem) to:

support[at]wastelands-interactive.com

Thanks!
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Adept Sorcerer
    Another attempt with the current Beta.

It lasted even less than the other one. Again, a really unforgiving stream of attacks makes it impossible to go on.
    I understand that those already knowledgeable with the game's mechanics may know how to optimize every working gear, but honestly ATM I can't play a very meaningful game.
    It takes a huge turns investment to reach the point where I'm able to train a few swordsmen and maybe a crossbowman, and by that time frankly unbeatable werewolves are wreaking havoc in my cities unopposed.
    I've tried to prioritize production buildings, but that isn't really feasible since pretty soon you'll be out of food and/or gold.
    In other words, it seems like the only way to go is following a slow, balanced progress to sustain your cities and expansion, but that means you can't be prepared for orcs, chieftains and werewolves soon enough. And when it starts, it's over, since there's no end to the stream of assaults.
    Maybe I'm doing something embarrassingly wrong but, well, it's not like I have never played this kind of games before. Anyway I've been playing as Merlin with Highmen.

So, well, I'm going to wait a while before playing again. Give it time for another 4 or 5 updates, possibly. Having more content in will also help of course
    Last edited by mastroego; 11-01-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    l2p?

Haha, sorry. In seriousness, have you tried some of the following?:
    1. increasing number of workmen in your city by reducing farmers
    2. using magic in combat (and out of it) - e.g. give units magic weapons so they can damage werewolves.

Adept Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by Yco View Post
    l2p?

Haha, sorry. In seriousness, have you tried some of the following?:
    1. increasing number of workmen in your city by reducing farmers
    I micromanage them all the time.

2. using magic in combat (and out of it)
    Of course

- e.g. give units magic weapons so they can damage werewolves.
    That one I missed. Still have to learn how to use the Forge. Still, the early raids are brutal.

Werewolves seems to be the common "bane" at the moment. We may need to tweak them a bit. *Makes a note of it for the next meeting*

Now, there are a number of ways to deal with werewolves. It all depends on how you want to approach it.

You can focus on direct damage spells and literally just cast them to death. (This can be difficult.)

You can build an Alchemists Guild in your first town ASAP and train some units that have magic weapons. (This can take a bit of time.)

You can summon powerful creatures to the battlefield that are able to bypass or beat through the werewolves damage resistance.

You can use the forge to make magical weapons for your heroes that bypass damage reduction.

You can "stack" Augmentation spells on a single unit. (Giving one unit Giant Strength, Bless Weapon, Acidic Weapon, and Fire Weapon, for instance.) That will make the unit a "glass cannon" that can beat it's way through the damage resistance.

Personally I've been favoring the stack method lately. I've been using a lot of Earth and Life. So I'll cast Giant Strength, Stone Skin, and Bless Weapon on some low tier units from the world map. It costs me mana per turn, but makes them much more deadly in the early game. Then in battles I use magic to keep them protected and healed.

Admittedly, that may not be enough to slaughter werewolves (I honestly don't seem to run into them as much as everyone else does). A much better anti-werewolf build might be Augmentation, Protection, and Life. The low tier augmentation spells stack nicely. They can be rather expensive and if the unit dies (or the spells are dispelled) you'll be out a lot of mana. However, they can keep werewolves at bay.

In any event, we need to take another look at werewolves. They're suppose to be a threat, but not a game killer.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast