Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Matter of Pacing

Well, you can do more than that, lol. It does, however, take some know-how. Sadly, it's not the kind of know-how our current in-game documentation will give you...

Tweaking the starting city is another possible solution. Again, I want to wait until the world feature generator is in place. But it is a suggestion worth taking note of.

Crowmire, I see where you're coming from. Honestly though, it's even a little too slow for my taste, lol.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Arcane Candidate
    I do think that cost of buildings could be subject to more tweaking along the beta. That said, yes, the main issue no matter what is that while you wait for buildings, there isn't much to do. Well, I play Tiny maps and Grey Elves, so I use my first turns to search for the nearest Neutral city and conquer it.

I think that it was Sid Meier who said something like that players should have things to do every turn. Exploration is a valid option. Be it for terrain information, enemy/node location... it's important but it clashes with early "wildlife". Having some easier/beatable locations would help. Having some easy wildlife would help (it can provide some early exp/loot while becoming a threat if unchecked) but nothing like The Coalition of Neutral Cities invading your yard. The Coalition must wait their turn, when the early wildlife is obsolete as "fun thing".

Neophyte Sorcerer
    I started up a new game last night. I don't know if you've already toyed with the lair generation or I simply had that extra level of personal experience under my belt, but things were a lot smoother through this second play. There were a few empty lairs nearby with minor cash awards or population boosts, some fair battle lairs for my starting units to fight against while I garrisoned my cities, and the attacks from neutral cities have started coming in manageable and infrequent waves starting during the 80ish turns. Maybe I was just playing better in determining where to start my few starting cities and pushing myself to have a new one every 20ish turns (so far, so good), but there was more sense of accomplishment in the first 80 turns my second playthrough than through the first, and I think the fact that there were Things To Do helped with that a lot.

I'm still struggling with spell research early on when assigning researchers and building libraries just isn't an option due to a focus on gold and food production to establish a working infrastructure. I also haven't yet had much opportunity to feel useful as a wizard; spells either do too little damage to matter or are saved against. I did get a Charm to work, though, and that had a very positive impact on the battlefield. It's my hope that meatier spells will come in due time and that, more importantly, I'll be able to free up some power to boost casting skill enough to make use of them. (On that note, are Shrines doing anything power-wise?)

Can't wait for the next update. Doubly can't wait to be able to sit down and play more than an hour and a half at a time.

OK, here's my feedback on your feedback so far:

We are going to have a low-cost summon-able scout (much like magic spirit).

If we implement an auto-end-turn (which we probably will) it will, of course, be optional.

Although I don't feel it's a pacing issue, I agree that “named” roaming creatures with superior loot could be fun.

Tweaking the building costs is very easy. They may change several times before release.

Shrines should add one power (not that it's a pacing issue, lol).

One other thought is that we could expand the area of influence around your capital city by one. (We already have a spell that does this to a city.) It would give the capital a good starting bonus that wouldn't effect future cities. (Unless you moved your capital of course.)

I'm not sure about the last one. It's just something I'm mulling over.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

All good. The capital expansion sounds interesting. Would allow you to turtle up more.

As for named roaming creatures, that would be pretty cool but I'd want to see that they didn't just make a beeline straight for your city. Some roaming could perhaps stay roaming instead of attacking towns?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    One other thought is that we could expand the area of influence around your capital city by one. (We already have a spell that does this to a city.) It would give the capital a good starting bonus that wouldn't effect future cities. (Unless you moved your capital of course.)
    If you tie the extra radius to the Wizard Tower/Fortress, that solves the issue of moving it.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We are going to have a low-cost summon-able scout (much like magic spirit).
    Ohhh interesting. Will it be a ubiquitous 'magic spirit' or specific to each faction? e.g Woodland Spirit for elves, Grim Spectre for Unhallowed etc.

Quote Originally Posted by War Troll View Post
    Ohhh interesting. Will it be a ubiquitous 'magic spirit' or specific to each faction? e.g Woodland Spirit for elves, Grim Spectre for Unhallowed etc.
    Outstanding idea.

Mage’s Assistant
    I dunno, the people complaining of slow build, honestly just dont understand Civ empire building type games

Look Rome wasnt built in a day...and neither should an O/P WoM empire of cities IMO

Not to brag, with playing a race properly, I can have a thriving empire in just 50 turns...a minimum of 3 to 4 cities.

By turn 100 im settled in and it would take hordes of dragon (wandering monsters) to boot my @ss out, my cities are parked and no on is getting them without a fight

I had my own little nich tricks in MoM I....and Im busy discovering new ones in this early release version....true im missing parts of the hopefully soon available puzzle now (heroes for one), but clearly seeing what works and doesnt work with the material on-hand

You know nothing in these empire building games should be that easy to build your unstoppable empire, it should take a lot of ingenuity :/...at least IMO
    Last edited by tanktop4158; 09-17-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Arcane Candidate
    What about adding a hero to the starting units?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast