Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A More Tactical Battleboard

We may want to give javelins more damage. However, depending on the strength bonus we give the units with javelins it may not be an issue. I'll take 1d6+4 against 1d10 any day, lol.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Mage’s Assistant
    Hey guys....2 suggestions i REALLY think you need.

!, A auto-target next closest unit...the enter key would be really good to use. Having to manually target next unit is kinda klunky.

2. a space bar command to select next unit and cycle through your battle units.

Oh yea javelin units are seriously under-powered. I have almost given up on Draconians because of it, they rarely hit and dont hit for enough.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    For reference, in DnD a javelin does 1d6 damage per attack.
    1D6? Really? That seems really low considering it's mass compared to an arrow or bolt (though their velocity is admittedly higher). Raise it sez I, and take the fact that Draconians are physically strong and have an elevated position as well.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by War Troll View Post
    1D6? Really? That seems really low considering it's mass compared to an arrow or bolt (though their velocity is admittedly higher).
    also slings using lead bullets are 1D4+strength bonuses, which is odd given that when they did use lead bullets slings were considered just as deadly as short bows, but with better penetration at range as well as range itself. not to mention their versatility in using different sizes/types of ammunition without the need for an extra launcher (not to mention that quality launchers were dirt cheap compared to bows). sling thrown rocks are 1D3+strength with a -1 to attack rating.

DnD is based on medieval romanticism, javelins and slings were the place of peasants and barbarians, bows were the noble art and crossbows worked in a pinch, but all other ranged weapons were for the ignorant. that being said javelins are compared to shortbows in pre medieval times, so matching the damage value plus strength isn't bad (though it was almost always considered to have better armor penetration), however javelins were considered superior at close range for a number of reasons that are not reflected in DnD (keep in mind people with bows still used shields back then).

this whole topic is pretty lengthy (which i haven't even begun to get into), but it all boils down to romanticism vs. realism.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by jamoecw View Post
    this whole topic is pretty lengthy (which i haven't even begun to get into), but it all boils down to romanticism vs. realism.
    Well they did give us 'Studded Leather Armour' that made no sense at all. Apparently it may have come about when they saw a picture of a Brigantine or Jack inside-out with the stud fasteners shown. I like the D20 system for WoM it's nice and complex with plenty of foundation to build on and be flexible with, but I never warmed to AD&D; it always seemed really overdone and silly.

AD&D was a total trainwreck. Please let's not derail this thread with it. It does sound like a fun thread of Off Topic, though!
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Neophyte Sorcerer
    just my two cents in terms of ranged combat. why can't we give them different ranges? a javelin might be deadlier than a bow but only from closer range. arrows should be lower damage than crossbows but have higher range, crossbows are higer damage but bows but lower range. this could be translated to hit-chances.

so if the ranged unit stays way in the back it would have a pretty low to-hit chance, moving in more towards the target to increase those hit chance but on the same time increase its chance to get engaged would sound interesting i think.

i personally would decrease the to-hit chance of every new ranged unit, give it a archery skill and when this unit levels up then it gets more accuracy. this would make ranged units early on less of a powerhouse and if they are leveled-up enough to a good sniping unit while still giving it some max rank depending on the weapon (javelin = short range, crossbow = mid range and bow = long range).

i am also a big fan of zone of control and attack of opportunities, if you teach the AI enough to make use of those then the battles become even more interesting. i think in that regard AoW3 can be seen as the current tactical combat model which feels to be the best fleshed out in the moment.

fyi, AoW3 hasn't randomgly generated maps, the maps they have a just quite large and offer several cover, height advantages and choking points which you should also consider to implement.

i honestly loved the way flyers were designed in AoW:SM, they only could be damaged by spells, archers or pikeman units. now this seems a bit overpowered considering that every draconian has the flying ability, but i would at least at the ability for flyers to have higher melee damage resistance and to balance it maybe a slight ranged damage weakness.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerberus86 View Post
    just my two cents in terms of ranged combat. why can't we give them different ranges? a javelin might be deadlier than a bow but only from closer range. arrows should be lower damage than crossbows but have higher range, crossbows are higer damage but bows but lower range. this could be translated to hit-chances.

so if the ranged unit stays way in the back it would have a pretty low to-hit chance, moving in more towards the target to increase those hit chance but on the same time increase its chance to get engaged would sound interesting i think.

i personally would decrease the to-hit chance of every new ranged unit, give it a archery skill and when this unit levels up then it gets more accuracy. this would make ranged units early on less of a powerhouse and if they are leveled-up enough to a good sniping unit while still giving it some max rank depending on the weapon (javelin = short range, crossbow = mid range and bow = long range).

i am also a big fan of zone of control and attack of opportunities, if you teach the AI enough to make use of those then the battles become even more interesting. i think in that regard AoW3 can be seen as the current tactical combat model which feels to be the best fleshed out in the moment.

fyi, AoW3 hasn't randomgly generated maps, the maps they have a just quite large and offer several cover, height advantages and choking points which you should also consider to implement.

i honestly loved the way flyers were designed in AoW:SM, they only could be damaged by spells, archers or pikeman units. now this seems a bit overpowered considering that every draconian has the flying ability, but i would at least at the ability for flyers to have higher melee damage resistance and to balance it maybe a slight ranged damage weakness.
    in MoM there were only 2 range increments on the battle map, i think the plan in WoM is to have several based on the weapon.
    http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/...ange_Penalties
    that way a high damage weapon will have a low probability to hit at long range, which means that one can adjust things so that the probable damage amount would be less at range (average damage * chance to hit = probable damage), but higher at close range. personally that is what i would have done with javelins and such vs. light crossbows in DnD (same amount of shots per round, unlike bows which have up to 5 times more without feats, or heavy crossbows at 1/2 without a feat).

flying in MoM preventing melee units from initiating combat against it, much like the AoW games. i think tey are going to try and keep that aspect.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567