Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Future DLC

I'm going to let his brew for a few days before I jump in.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for everything Battledawn just said.
    The Wiki.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    not sure about land units operating underwater without magic of some sort. the reason i think underwater should be it's own DLC is because you'd need to implement some way for existing factions to be able to send forces there (even if it is less effective than above water) and threaten the underwater cities. generally this would probably be some sort of faction specific underwater unit, though having a building that gives units built the underwater capable ability would also work for appropriate factions (like say draconians). i also think that it would be nice to have some factions be able to dig a hole to get to the underground, or sink to get to the underwater areas instead of them always having to use a special portal.

i could see the dwarves get a deep sea diver unit that drops off a boat, but can't travel on the strategic map while underwater. having the myrodant's cities become an underground city that is also a gateway to the surface, settleable from the surface as well. elves getting the underwater capability trait, but have to find a way via a portal/shore. elves losing their ranged abilities, draconians losing their fire breath underwater, operating less capable but with their full unit lineup.

a new underwater faction might have a mechanic that works with migrating resources. something like having whales in your territory doesn't give the normal food bonus, but if you protect them from exploitation when they return through your territory you get a bigger nonfood bonus. you could have a building that allows the city to retain bonuses from migrating resources for some extra turns after it leaves your territory. underwater trenches, volcanoes, reefs, cold seeps, plateaus, seamounts, ridges, gaps, troughs would give quite a bit of diversity to deep water geography, while letting plenty of shallow water geography to exist for above water variation.

Dwarves could have rune powered submarines!
    The Wiki.

Underwater, could be tricky. I like the idea of all factions getting a building of some type to allow all their units to access underwater areas. Spells would not be a good option IMHO if they could be dispelled, as this would make it to easy to defeat opponents forces, with a one trick pony tactic. I think the "one" special diving unit, per faction, will not be effective when attacking the diverse underwater factions, armies/units.
    Last edited by zdsdead; 10-02-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Not a fan of the underwater idea atm. The idea of a merfolk or similar faction being able to attack land-based factions is jarring to say the least. The logistics of it from all the other factions border on the absurd- submarines? Really....? Draconian Submarines. Can't say I really like that idea. I also do not see what it would offer in terms of different game play. If the whole plane or whatever is under water, how is that effectively different from an entire plane that's on dry land? Other than the logistical acrobatics you have to go through to get a bunch of land or air based factions underwater that is? The idea sounds very gimmicky and definitely not MoM. I'm also dubious that this type of thing would appeal to a broad audience. The first few DLC's for the game should give the greatest amount of fans the greatest amount of what they want. I sincerely doubt an underwater expansion is high on the list of very many fans.
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 10-02-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Troy brings up some fair points. I must admit at this point Im not a fan the underwater plane, but will not rule it out altogether. IMHO I would be more comfortable with an underground plane, and think it offers a lot of different options to the game, while still allowing all the current factions to access it without the addition of difficult/silly game mechanics.

I could see the "merfolk" as a non playable, thorn in the side race though, occasionally rising from the depths and raiding close to shore towns, and god forbid, ships, full of all your best troops....... ;-)
    Last edited by zdsdead; 10-02-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Personally, I'd like to see it as an Elemental Plane Expansion Pack.

The Water Plane gets the underwater stuff, the Earth Plane gets a secondary underground layer, the Air Plane get's either a higher or lower layer in a different atmospheric band, and the Fire Plane gets... something or another, haven't thought of a good thing for them.
    The Wiki.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    yep, good points. i'd be against submarines, the deep sea diver was more of a diving bell thing (used prior to the roman empire). but you are right, logistical issues make undersea a tough nut. as for another layer to the different planes, ideas are generally more earth plane for the earth plane, more air plane for the air plane, etc. only the prime and those that mimic the prime gain a layer that is different than the existing layer, which isn't the best approach imo. maybe the underground earth plane is just dirt, and thus no caverns and such, just different types of dirt/rock so that you have to carve the whole area out how you want. this would mean that digger units could pop through a wall and surprise you. overall though i am unsure of such things.

As a note, I was joking about the dwarven rune submarine, which the smiley was supposed to indicate. (Since people seem to be treating it seriously as an idea.)
    The Wiki.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast