Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential Future DLC Item: Negative Resources

I think we might be able to "split the difference" and have spells (or a single spell) that can handle all the negative resources, but also have it where certain races can fix certain issues themselves (via a unit or building). That way you could take care of some of them early in game with labor (or units using a "build ability") and mop them up in mid-to-late game with magic.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    first off i'd avoid non fantasy resources for the negative resources (lead, radium, etc.) as it creates an expectation on how it works, and thus bias.

second i'd take the negative resources and give them an advantage to units, or spells. pretty much make them bad for cities, but good for other things. that way you avoid directly bad stuff (kinda like how gas giants in MoO2, or trinary star systems in SE4 are).

third i don't have a problem with labour terraforming, as long as magic still feels special. for example when i saw AoW3 class system with 'magicless' classes i thought that one would have to give up magic to do things differently and thus gain certain advantages at the cost of others. one could i guess pick a perk called terraformer, that would allow engineers to terraform at a slow rate. or maybe to get a labour drop down menu to terraform within a city's limits over a some time. but the idea is that if you can terraform without magic, that it should inhibit your magical ability in some way (a starting perk seems simplest).

locusts might feed all units in a stack as long as they are in that tile.
    soggy ground might slow ground units (making ranged units better during tactical).
    null stones might boost the resistance scores of units in that tile while they are in the tile.
    mosquito swarm might inhibit ranged attack during tactical.
    pyrite might cut the cost of friendly buffs.

mixed negatives might get their penalties removed, and their buffs doubled when terraformed properly.

Arcane Candidate
    Actually negative resource could hinder your A.I Enemy Sorcerer Lords it might do more harm then good as a human player will know how to better navigate around it vs say the A.I I would focus more towards improving the A.I in General maybe give them more heroes,resources etc.

I mean eventually thats what players will do for increased difficulty if that is the aim anyways

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

Also a better idea is maybe have one world that is like a waste world and u alone live in there where things are 2 to 3 times hardier to produce or do much while others live in bigger better worlds have time to build up before u break through your waste world. Maybe have bad roaming mobs go in waste world some way to punish u while other Sorcerer Lords are building up. This can help I think more then having everybody effected by negative resources.... Also the waste world can be a lot smaller meaning less ruins less everything lol and maybe make it so u don't get spells u gotta go find em ways to cripple the player so he has to work harder sounds a good way to go while enemies build up a mighty tribe.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Endless Rain, could you share a couple of specific examples from Endless Space?
    I'm quite busy with college, but here's a link to the wiki. http://endlessspace.wikia.com/wiki/Anomaly
    The food, industry, dust (which is the games money), and science are per population unit, not a flat penalty or bonus. It's one of the things I liked best about what they did.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I found Endless Space a pretty drab game myself.
    The Wiki.

Thanks for the link Endless Rain!
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    I found Endless Space a pretty drab game myself.
    Endless Space has done some things badly, like the combat, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the things it did well. I quite enjoyed how they did the empire management, the UI, and the tech tree. Though they still had bad AI, combat, and factions, I'd still recommend that the developers of WoM play a game or two of it in order to see what they did right.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    endless rain i tried to think of other games that had other 4x games that did something similar that stood out in my mind. i came up with the fungus from alpha centauri. it starts out bad, but get better with research, and in addition (which would have been nice in ES) how you run your empire. it was a long and more epic game than ES so there were multiple researches that improved it, but you are right that stuff like this gives a bit more flair to negative resources.

how about something like:

ethereal siv - (anywhere) -1 power if in city radius, -1 power per pop if city built on top of it, dispels enchantments/summons for units that pass through tile, units immune to magic while on tile, +1 power for having all circles of a tier per tier if in city radius, +1 power per pop for having all circles of a tier per tier if city built on top of it, produces roaming magic spirits if not in city radius.

dark energy font - (any land) -1 power per religious building per life tier known if in city radius, free upkeep for any death enchantment in city radius, produces roaming skeletons if not in city radius.

wondrous spring - (any land) -1 power per religious building per death tier known if in city radius, free upkeep for any life enchantment in city radius, produces roaming guardian lights if not in city radius.

lodestone - (any land) double upkeep of air spells in city radius, +.25 power per pop per earth tier known if in city radius, converts nearby roaming creatures to appropriate earth type roaming creatures if not in city radius.

bottomless pit - (any land) double upkeep of earth spells in city radius, +.25 power per pop per air tier known if in city radius, converts nearby roaming creatures to appropriate air type roaming creatures if not in city radius.

geyser - (any land) -.25 power per pop per fire tier known if in city radius, +1 power per religious building per water tier known if in city radius, creates water roaming creatures of appropriate type and level for each unit that dies nearby (including those produced from the geyser itself).

magma ant hive - (any land) -.25 power per pop per water tier known if in city radius, +1 power per religious building per fire tier known if in city radius, creates fire roaming creatures of appropriate type and level for each unit that dies nearby (including those produced from the hive itself).

charged obsidian - (any land) -1 power per pop per religious building if in city radius, dispels/prevents casting of magic on tile, dispels/prevents casting of magic in city radius if city built on top of.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    I really like the ones that interact with the kinds of magic the Sorcerer Lord has. Features that could be negative for some Factions and positive for others might be interesting, too. ("Catacombs", giving +10% population growth for Myrodants, but +1 Unrest for everyone else, say.)

Since we're looking at a Future DLC, which gives more time, we might also think about having them interact with Random Events -- have an event that might create one near a random city, like a Meteor might drop a Lodestone somewhere. Or have Events that might remove one, like a magical font mysteriously `drying up'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12