Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Spell balance thread

Adept Sorcerer
    As much as I love using it, Strands of Power should probably be a tier 3 spell instead of tier 2. I believe the mana cost and upkeep are fair for what it does, but it can have a seriously grand effect on the early game. Just picture a city with 7 terrain types. That gives the player +7 power for a 2 mana upkeep only 10 turns into the game. If they have another city by then, 5 turns later they could get another +7 power. Late game, that is not a huge deal, but in early game it's very powerful.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortigan View Post
    As much as I love using it, Strands of Power should probably be a tier 3 spell instead of tier 2. I believe the mana cost and upkeep are fair for what it does, but it can have a seriously grand effect on the early game. Just picture a city with 7 terrain types. That gives the player +7 power for a 2 mana upkeep only 10 turns into the game. If they have another city by then, 5 turns later they could get another +7 power. Late game, that is not a huge deal, but in early game it's very powerful.
    I agree, but consider that if you want to avoid Wizards from starting out with this spell, it'd have to be Tier4 so that you actually need to research it first.

Adept Sorcerer
    I have less of a problem with a wizard starting out with it if it meant that they had to master that spell school and use up their starting tier 3 to get it. I would put that on par with the spell Heroism, which is also tier 3.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortigan View Post
    I have less of a problem with a wizard starting out with it if it meant that they had to master that spell school and use up their starting tier 3 to get it. I would put that on par with the spell Heroism, which is also tier 3.
    Yep, that's reasonable. +1

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Yco View Post
    Reflect Damage: Perhaps consider knocking this down to 3 rounds? You can add extra round via infusion. Four rounds just feels a touch too long for this T4 spell.
    This should have baseline duration of 2 rounds at most. More can be added by infusion. It's a ridiculously OP spell currently.

-Dispel Magic needs to be able to target my cities and units on the world map too.

-Could Lycanthropy be turned into a combat spell in addition to a strategic spell?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Adept Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    -Could Lycanthropy be turned into a combat spell in addition to a strategic spell?
    That would make Lycanthropy a VERY powerful spell. I'm not saying it would be a bad idea, but it should have a hefty mana cost for a combat cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    -Dispel Magic needs to be able to target my cities and units on the world map too.
    You have Disenchant Area for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    You have Disenchant Area for that.
    Ah, ok. Thank you. I wasn't sure which spell was the right one
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789