Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality of life changes

You can do this already in the Key Binding options. In fact, this is exactly how I have it set up, and it's dynamite.
    -Then these are things that need to be set up as defaults rather than left up to the player to figure out. I shouldn't have to go through hoops to set up keyboard commands that are conventions of the genre.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Add diverse, responsive and fluid animations to my list.

Also diverse sound effects in and out of battle

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    -Then these are things that need to be set up as defaults rather than left up to the player to figure out. I shouldn't have to go through hoops to set up keyboard commands that are conventions of the genre.
    That's a good point. I actually have used WASD for camera control in MOBAs as well since Bloodline Champions, which definitely is not the convention. I always end up going straight into key bindings first thing I do when I load up the game, so it wasn't too big of a deal to me. I'm definitely an advocate to defaulting to conventions, though (even though I don't know what they are for 4X games).

To add on to my list:

* I would like the "building list" button in the city to instead show a full tech tree, highlighting the buildings that are complete so you still know what you've made and what you haven't. I think this would help people explore the potential buildings of a race and plan their course before having to spend a lot of additional time exploring and manually plotting the different paths the faction buildings can take.

* I would personally prefer if the gold/food counters on the world map did not have any decimal places, even if they are still implemented on the back-end and I'm just seeing a rounded number. It might cause some confusion around "why did I convert 1 farmer but lose 3 food instead of 2" or "why do I have +10 gold but my gold went up 11?", so maybe it could be an option that you have to toggle. I just hate trying to see the decimal, since I'm 6 feet away from my screen.
    Last edited by Cogbyrn; 01-22-2015 at 01:26 AM.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogbyrn View Post
    * I would like the "building list" button in the city to instead show a full tech tree, highlighting the buildings that are complete so you still know what you've made and what you haven't. I think this would help people explore the potential buildings of a race and plan their course before having to spend a lot of additional time exploring and manually plotting the different paths the faction buildings can take.
    +1 to this, preferably with descriptive text about the buildings added, perhaps as tooltips or right-click help windows.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

for the spellbook, I'd perhaps rather see just the spell name, Circle and cost, than have its actual effect info printed there by default. I might prefer to right-click the spell to see its details. This would reduce clutter on the spellbook pages. A brief summary of what the spell does would also be nice, perhaps in the form of a brief or flavor text.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    They are supposed to be bound by defaults. It might be that your bindings were reset at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    They are supposed to be bound by defaults. It might be that your bindings were reset at one point.
    That could be. When I checked my Inputs, they were all set to "None." I didn't think there were any defaults.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Another QoL request: Lore! Flavor, etc. Game is a little bit dry at the moment in that respect.

Yes there's a lot of lore in the universe - it comes through just fine in the art style. But the text in the game is technical (e.g. technical details of how spells work as opposed to in-universe flavor). Would be nice to have the game well-padded with fluffly lore text.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

I would also love four-way arena modes, where up to four players can duke it out.

In addition, I'd like you guys to consider giving SorcLords a health pool in arena modes so that the matches play out like a combination of Magic the Gathering and chess.

-Give us both a 45 degree and 60 degree angle on the world map and use Ctrl C to toggle between them.

-When another sorcerer-lord wants to contact a player, a mirror of that lord should appear with either of the following texts: “ <name> requests an audience” or “ <name> demands an audience” depending on how happy or upset the lord is with the player. The player should then have the option to Accept or Decline the request. This will add a little flavor to the game and also put an end to nuisance diplomacy spam.

-Ctrl F should toggle on/off a frame rate counter.

-Ctrl M should toggle on/off the music.

-Ctrl G should toggle on/off the grid.

-Ctrl A should toggle on/off the environmental animations on the world map.

-Sometimes in 4x games, I send armies in to fight an enemy to soften that enemy up. I don’t care if my army lives, I just want to inflict max damage. In those times, I almost always just auto-resolve. Again, the object is to hurt, not win. In WoM, this is really difficult to do. My units will almost always retreat when facing impossible odds. Retreating is contrary to my intentions. So, I’d like to see a circle that I can check just above the Auto Deploy circle on the battle screen just before entering combat called “No Retreat.” If I select that and choose auto resolve, then my units will fight until the death. This would include if I choose auto-resolve in the middle of a battle. However, if I am doing a manual battle, and I change my mind or I forget to unclick the No Retreat, I should still be able to retreat manually. That make any sense?

-When doing diplomacy, if an offer is rejected, the items offered should stay in the offer box. This way it is easy for me to tweak my offer to hopefully get a better response. Having to start over from scratch every time is frustrating.

-Let us right click on siphons to know how mana we're getting from them.
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 01-23-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower
    How about a customizable gui like in everquest? Where you can scale boxes up and down to meet your needs and open and close tabs as needed so you can see the information you want to keep track of. Imagine being able to open a small window that monitors a certain city production as you turn skip. Waiting on several city productions? Make several tabs and reduce the size of them so they fit. Want to micromanage power distribution per turn or monitor skill/research progress? Open relevant tabs. The possibilities are numerous and they would ease micromanagement significantly since you wouldn't have to go back and forth between menus. And with the number of cities you could end up with in this game there's plenty of micromanaging to do.

also a better strategic map mode. One that is properly rotated and contains full functionality. I remember I always played civ v in strategic map mode to reduce processor load and make the visuals less cluttered. I think if that was implemented my computer could handle more than 1 medium sized plane per game.
    Last edited by forfor; 01-23-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    I would likely be against multi-windows and free-form windows as described by forfor, as I feel it increases clutter. However I would like to see more context-sensitive / right-click help.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Oh, a nice graphical QoL thing would be to add residual flames on terrain after a fire spell is cast there. Also frost if an ice spell, etc. Would add to the impression that your spells are affecting the world. So, lets say an army gets hit with fire. The tile they're on would blaze for a couple seconds.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast