Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality of life changes

You can actually start with 7 AIs already, just go Hotseat with one human player.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I'd really like the number of potential AI players to be uncapped, for the really big games. Large everything with all planes!
    The Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    You can actually start with 7 AIs already, just go Hotseat with one human player.
    That's interesting! I didn't know that, but I don't think the average player is going to choose a multiplayer option for an enhanced single player experience. If I didn't think of it after 130 hours of play, I'm sure there will be others who don't either.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower
    I vote for uncapped ai with the acknowledgement that I am fully aware it will likely bog down turn ends.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by forfor View Post
    I vote for uncapped ai with the acknowledgement that I am fully aware it will likely bog down turn ends.
    Perhaps if you choose > X AI opponents, a dialog will pop up by default warning the user of the potential implications of having that many AI (namely bogged down turn-ends). The dialog would let you check to not show it again, but at least it would prevent new players from saying "Yeah huge game!" then wonder why turns take so long.

Mage’s Assistant
    Another item I thought of: I know this is my fault, but I'd personally prefer if units do *not* automatically try to move as close as they can to a tile that I accidentally click. Sometimes the angle gets me and I click on the unit instead of the tile to use a ranged attack, and my unit will use its full movement points to try to move there, often ending its turn. It's a little thing, but I'd much prefer if my units did nothing when I gave them a command they could not fulfill that turn.

To further develop the drama idea, what about having certain sound effects associated with each sorcerer-lord on the diplomacy screen? Since I'm sure voice-overs are out, having some distinctive sound effects associated with each individual lord would add some personality to them. Consider the following:

Markus: Clash of Swords
    Merlin: Electric Wizardry
    R'jak: Serpent Hiss
    Ariel: Birds Chirping
    Eyegore: Animal Growl
    Neve: Wave Crashing
    Alhasrat: Brief Chanting
    Drakhis: Wings Beating
    Magog: Animal Grunt
    Rastiss: Evil Laugh
    Prithvi: Clicking Sound

You would hear these any time they opened up a dialogue in diplomacy or when you chose their name on the dropdown menu. This would give them some personality, and really evoke an emotional response from the player whenever they are heard. Plus, I think they'd be simple and cheap to implement.

Peace,

-Troy

-The center button on the main GUI should be highlighted and slowly blink when it needs attention. This would encourage new players to click on it. I've observed some just think it's a decoration.

-Could we separate autosaves in a separate screen or tab on both the saves page and the load page?

-It would be great if we could right click on an enemy sorcerer lord's icon in diplomacy and bring up his or her mirror like this image in MoM:

Screenshot 2015-01-26 20.24.16.jpg

-The cost for forging magic items needs to be more clear. It should say 350 (mana) or 350 with the mana symbol next to it. I've seen new players mistakenly believe it takes gold to create an item. It surprised me that they made that assumption, but I've observed it more than once.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

-The turn counter for buildings and units in the City screen needs a tooltip that shows the current production put into something out of how much production is needed total. For instance, if I'm building a High Man Armory, the tooltip for the turn counter should read, "Armory: 35/150" if I've put 35 production into it already. This is important information for a player to have when considering spells like Slaveworks where I have to judge whether sacrificing 300 population is worth 100 production or not.

This may be too much, but to further extend the idea I proposed earlier about tabs for buildings, it would be nice to have tabs for units as well. I would suggest there be 5: All, Melee, Ranged, Magic, Miscellaneous.

-The "All" tab would work just like the Hire Troops menu does now.

-The "Melee" tab would have units that could NOT make any ranged attacks AND could NOT cast spells.

-The "Ranged" tab would have units that could make any ranged attack INCLUDING magic using units that can cast their attack bolts.

-The "Magic" tab would have units that can cast spells.

-The "Misc." tab would have units that aren't really combat units like Settlers and Engineers and future non-combat units we might imagine like Spies, Explorers, or Sappers.

In all the tabs, except the All tab, any and all units that fit the tab would be shown with units that have not had their prerequisites met greyed out but still having tooltips that will inform the player what buildings are necessary to make them. I think this would help players make better decisions as they build their armies.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast