Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Split Thread: Thoughts on Systems, RPGs, and Play

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar

Split Thread: Thoughts on Systems, RPGs, and Play

Quote Originally Posted by Morloc View Post
    Merry Christmas to all!

That's a lotta' wood pulp I just recently went through my old D&D stuff, which is mostly 1st edition with a tiny bit of 2nd, including modules and found that I had a stack of material almost 4 ft. high. When I looked at the prices I paid for everything I got depressed....then I found the old S1 module and smiled instead

-Morloc
    That's nothing, I have exactly 100 RPG books now! I have: All 7 OD&D books, 3 Basic books, 6 first edition books, 16 second edition books, 37 third edition books, 13 fourth edition books, 3 fifth edition books, 12 Pathfinder books, two GURPS books, and one Traveller book. If I stacked it all together, it would be taller than I am.

I just wish my friends were less busy so we could play more than once a week. I haven't gotten to try out anything except third edition and Pathfinder, since I'm running two long campaigns. I find RPG systems really interesting to read, so I'm glad I bought them, even if I can't play them now. (I started collecting them around five or six years ago, when my uncle gave me his old first edition rulebooks, and I joined a 3.5 group shortly after that. I started my own D&D group as the DM about a year and a half ago.)

P.S. Does anyone have any recommendations for interesting non-D&D RPG systems to read? I prefer ones with high complexity for character creation, but mid-low complexity for combat, similar to Pathfinder or 3.5 D&D. I'd also prefer systems that don't make it too hard to run in a homebrew world, since I like to create my own worlds. I like the fantasy genre best, because I really like spellcasters and magic. (Technology level doesn't matter as long as it has enough magic, so I'm counting things like Shadowrun.) I don't care too much about game balance.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    P.S. Does anyone have any recommendations for interesting non-D&D RPG systems to read? I prefer ones with high complexity for character creation, but mid-low complexity for combat, similar to Pathfinder or 3.5 D&D. I'd also prefer systems that don't make it too hard to run in a homebrew world, since I like to create my own worlds. I like the fantasy genre best, because I really like spellcasters and magic. (Technology level doesn't matter as long as it has enough magic, so I'm counting things like Shadowrun.) I don't care too much about game balance.
    If you like high level of rules without premade world, you can go with Rolemaster
    I played it for years. Even if combat can be quite long if many opponent, it is the most flexible and complete system I ever played with. And if you like collecting books, there is lot of stuff!

And of course, Happy new year to anyone! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Trudd View Post
    If you like high level of rules without premade world, you can go with Rolemaster
    I played it for years. Even if combat can be quite long if many opponent, it is the most flexible and complete system I ever played with. And if you like collecting books, there is lot of stuff!

And of course, Happy new year to anyone! :-)
    Rolemaster I classic- my first RPG system.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Thanks a lot, it looks really interesting. Which edition would you recommend? I'm currently leaning towards Rolemaster Classic/Second Edition because it seems to have more optional rules to customize the game. (Something I was hoping the D&D 5e DMG would have a lot of, but only had around twelve pages about.)

I used to play with the first/second edition. There are many stuff and an incredible list of optionnal skills.
    I never played RMFRP, but as far as i read, ths skills are more gathered into groups and spells are skills too.
    I think the two are very customizable but the second edition is older, eventually with more stuff.

And moreover, those rules can be translated into SF. So you can melt anything you want

Do you have any other suggestions for interesting systems? Also, I forgot to mention something earlier. If you are familiar with the threefold model or GNS theory, my playstyle is roughly a gamist/simulationist hybrid. I'm pretty sure this fits Rolemaster, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm planning to get Rolemaster second edition after I finish reading the several books I got for Christmas and Winter Solstice (My family celebrates both) and the books I was reading before that.

EDIT: Shadowrun, Warhammer FRP, and Runequest also seem interesting to me, would you recommend any of them? The main thing I'm worried about with them is how hard they will be to run outside their default settings. I also need to make sure that there isn't much mature content in the games I buy, since I and my group are not comfortable with anything above PG-13 level stuff.
    Last edited by Endless Rain; 02-04-2015 at 02:53 AM. Reason: I now know enough about Star Wars EotE/AoR, 13th Age and Eclipse Phase to know I wouldn't like them.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I don't have much experience with most of the systems listed here... the systems I've some experience with (apart from AD&D2 and D20) are :

1. "World of Darkness" (Vampire/Werewolf) system: I like the settings, but not really the system (especially because, for hard tasks, how good you hard don't matter much).

2. GURPS: it doesn't have any fixed settings (it's a generic system). The system is interesting, very detailed, lots of rules and options, and somewhat realistic (which implies it's somewhat lethal...). It's a good system for people who like taking hours to make characters, it offers lots of options for minimaxing, so either you need a relatively strict GM able to say "no" or you need to like minimaxing.

And then there is the Cypher System (used by Numenera and the Strange)... which I got and read the books from Kickstarter, but didn't actually play the games yet. So far I love the two settings, but I'm unsure about the system. There are parts of the system which I really like, like "effort" (characters can spend "effort" to increase their chance of success in tasks that really matters for them) and GM intrusion/creative use of XP. But there are others which I'm a bit skeptical about, but then I would have to actually play the game to tell for sure and suggest home rules to "fix" them if needed. It's a very light-weigt system that focus more on story-telling than on numbers, so it may not be what you're looking for.

I primarily want interesting systems, not settings. I already own the core GURPS books, but I haven't read them yet. The Cypher System doesn't look interesting to me, but World of Darkness looks a little interesting, especially Mage: the Awakening/Ascension.

GURPS always impressed me. I have a lot of source material which inspired me to come up with a crazy-simple magic system to replace the limiting D&D memorization system.

You have as many magic points as your level naturally. Spells costs as many points as their level (i.e. Magic Missile = 1 pt) there were a few exceptions (i.e. Create Magic Item etc.). The mage supplements his magic point pool with the use of powerstones...which I ~think~ GURPS had explanation of...though it's been a long time. Essentially they were batteries which recharged each day, and their maximum total points were based on the carats of the gem used to create the stone. 3 carat stone could potentially provide 3 extra points of magic to cast with.

The two limitation on the stones were that only one would charge if they were left within 10 ft of one-another (preventing someone from hording many small, cheap stones to become OP). The other limitation was that when they were being made, there was a good chance of a flaw being introduced as they needed to be enchanted again for each level (carat) they had. A 10 carat stone sounds good, but might have two flaws...such as making the wielder ill while recharging or requiring the user to stand in water. Highly skilled/intelligence mages could reduce the chances of flaws.

Simple system, but so much more fun and flexible than...."I'd like to memorize spider climb to do something cool, but magic missile...I'm gonna' NEED that for certain....".

OK...I talk too much.

-Morloc

I've just ordered the core Rolemaster books off Amazon with my gift card, along with some Dragonlance novels. I should be getting them sometime this month. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast