Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Split Thread: Thoughts on Systems, RPGs, and Play

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    I've just gotten all of the Rolemaster core rulebooks from Amazon, I plan to start reading them once I finish my current book. Thanks again for recommending it.
    Awesome! Hope you like them
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Troy, could you move posts 12-32 into a thread on their own? This really should have been it's own thread. I'd like it to be called "Tabletop RPG recommendations".

EDIT: I'd like it to not be in the off-topic forums because many users don't know how to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    Troy, could you move posts 12-32 into a thread on their own? This really should have been it's own thread. I'd like it to be called "Tabletop RPG recommendations".

EDIT: I'd like it to not be in the off-topic forums because many users don't know how to find them.
    I'll try!

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Ha, what do you know? That worked!

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I just read this thread for the first time...

I had to go look up the terms you guys were throwing around.

If the intent of this thread is to be a discussion of pen-and-paper RPGs, then I gotta say I don't understand how gamism has a place in pen-and-paper. The entire purpose of role-playing is to create a narrative. Although, I suspect I tend towards simulation myself. I also suspect that my opinion of gamism in relation to pen-and-paper is what drove the early friction between myself and Asmodai and Happerry.

Gamism has every justification to be part of computer games and fixed setting board games, however.

As far as pen-and-paper systems I've played goes...
    My primary experience is with 1st & 2nd edition (and Basic) D&D. I've played a little 3rd. I've also played a little Rolemaster way back when. In college I read the source book for Merc 2000, but never played. I know about GURPS, but haven't had the opportunity to read or play it.

I gotta say I am more intrigued by classless systems than by the systems that use classes.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Gamism will be part of pen and paper RPGs as long as people are working off of rules and not just freeforming. The desire to level up, win in combat, find shinies, and generally be successful in any place where the rules hold dominance (IE, combat.) ensure it.

This isn't to say that I'm against Narrativism or Simulationism, but generally I'd say 3rd D&D as well as Pathfinder is more a Gamist system, just because the thing that (on average) tends to occupy the most party time is combat, and combat depends heavily on the rules. (Going by my own personal experience and what games I've witnessed. Though I might be biased as most of what I've been in are IRC games. PBPs tend to be slower and more chatty, at least from what I've seen.)

...And someday I will dig up the motivation to actually figure out how GURPs works after that disaster of a cyberspace game so I can give it fair judgement.
    The Wiki.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    See, to me, the rules are merely a framework to drive the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    See, to me, the rules are merely a framework to drive the narrative.
    I think people enjoy games, specifically adventure tabletop games, in different ways.

I'd say 'Yes' but that's too small for a post's character limit.
    The Wiki.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    I've bought Shadowrun 20th Anniversary edition today, and I'm going to start reading Rolemaster soon. I've also started a Thread on RPG.Net asking for recommendations, and I got Earthdawn and Fantasy Craft as reccomendations. Does anyone here have any experiences with them, and would I like them?

I've heard lots of good things about Earthdawn, but I've never gotten my greedy little hands on them...
    The Wiki.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast