Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Split Thread: Thoughts on Systems, RPGs, and Play

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    I've finally found character sheets online, and I've started creating my Elven Sorcerer. I rolled very good stats: Co 90, Ag 75, Sd 91, Re 49/75, Me 46/83, St 47, Qu 86, Pr 46/72, Em 90/98, and In 90/94. For background options, I could get my Em up to 94/102, but I won't get a spell adder at start if I do that. (I only get two options due to being a Fair Elf.) It will make it harder in the short term, but easier in the long term.

Not bad!
    IMO, Having better potential stat is better in the long term. Very good stats make the diference between a good character and a very good character in Rolemaster. And a 102 is the best you can get...
    Except, of course, if magic items are very rare in your world

edit: I will try to find where I have hidden my blank character sheets to help you.
    Last edited by Trudd; 03-04-2015 at 03:23 PM.

I've been reading through Shadowrun 20A, and so far I like the system. I'm about halfway through the core rulebook. I've also bought a copy of the Earthdawn 3e Players Guide last month.

EDIT: If any of you want to suggest new systems, I'm still fine if you recommend more games, but I won't buy them for a few months at the earliest.
    Last edited by Endless Rain; 04-09-2015 at 11:51 PM.

I've finished reading the Shadowrun 4e corebook, and am now reading the GURPS 3e basic set. For Shadowrun, I like most of the mechanics in, even though it was tough to learn the system. It's a little more complex than I prefer, but it's definitely not too complicated for me to enjoy. Shadowrun is also my first exposure to dice pool systems, and I like it in theory, but I haven't been able to test it out. The only major thing I didn't like about Shadowrun, other than the setting, is the Edge attribute. I can't stand dissociated mechanics, especially luck points like Edge. Fortunately, Edge is easily removable.

I've also found a few more old RPG's to read from Half Price Books. I bought Warhammer FRP 1e, Harnmaster, and Swordbearer. The last one was made by FGU, who also made Chivalry & Sorcery and a few other RPGs.

I've played some Harnmaster. I felt it was kind of generic. The setting binder (they sold binders back then instead of books) was pretty interesting. They basically took the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and turned it into a fantasy setting. Half Price is an excellent place to go looking for old RPGs. I hope you enjoy them

Peace,

-Troy
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

My Harnmaster set came with both the game and setting books, so I do have the setting. I don't normally use published campaign settings, since one of my favorite things about GMing is creating my own worlds, but I enjoy reading them.

P.S. Before today I thought you were from Saskatchewan, Canada. (I can't remember why.) Since HPB doesn't operate outside the USA, that means you're an American, right?

I'm looking for a sci-fi RPG, and I'm planning on buying Spacemaster. I wanted to check with you, Troy, to see if you wanted to recommend anything else, before I bought it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345