Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Unhallowed Things: Ascetic, Opulent and Tyrant

Cogbyrn, a Xenophobic Sorcerer Lord can never capture an enemy city. So, it makes playing any race like playing the Unhallowed in that respect. You'll have to beat the game with a single race rather than being able to mix and match.

Ampoliros, I'm actually undecided about Xenophobic as of yet (in spite of my rather strong previous comment, lol). I would much prefer that all the disciplines work with all the races. It's just that Xenophobic is a really difficult one with the undead.

The trick (in my mind) is that you are playing the Sorcerer Lord, not the race. So, I want the player to be able to mix any disciplines with any race. However, we have to maintain balance while we do that.

Of course, this discussion has given me some ideas for the two biggest problems:

We can use a previous precedent for merciless and require another discipline before you can take it. If we make tyrant a prerequisite to merciless (along with the tyrant fix I mentioned) I think that would handle the issue.

Xenophobic is a little trickier. I have an idea I want to discuss with the team before I mention it here. I'll try to let you guys know something soon.

What do we think of the idea of “Sacrificer”? The problem I have with that concept is that it seems like it would increase unrest as well. I would rather have a pitch that explained reduced population growth for any race without any unrest stigma. Of course, that's going to be tricky. Anyone have another idea?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Xenophobic could go above and beyond merely preventing the conquest of other races to actively destroying any other city that wasn't founded under your flag. The Xenophobe would actively hate not only those of other races, but anyone, of any race, not under his control (and therefore acceptable, or pure, or whatever). Then Unhallowed would not even be able to rely on conquering other Unhallowed cities for expansion and would have to rely on their own resources.

Ascetic putting a cap on NE seems harsh, but I haven't played enough of the Unhallowed to make a judgment. I'll try to do an Unhallowed run after my current Orc game, schedule permitting, unless Myrodants come out first. >.> Are we also talking Ascetic putting a cap on Mana, though? That wouldn't just give it teeth, that'd make the game almost as hard (maybe harder) as Mortal. As it is, Ascetic doesn't feel like it's worth three picks for any race, honestly, so what if the point return were lowered as a start. I don't have an idea for a bigger solution yet.

alternative to prude:-

Cursed : the sorcerer Lord has been cursed by the God,Wom the forgotten. He is the carrier of the dreaded "Woms rot". A plague, that affects, both the living and the dead though the sorcerer Lord suffers no ill effects, many of his subjects are not so lucky. Skin sloths from bones, and bones crumble.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

...but the non-corporeals grow stronger!....(and live happily ever after)

-Morloc

Cursed is pretty good zdsdead.

It would certainly explain the effect, lol. I would like more suggestions in the hat to consider, but that idea could certainly work.

What Battledawn said about Xenophobic above seems to make sense. It stacks with Unhallowed in that they're further penalized by not being able to capture even Unhallowed cities. Not as bad of a penalty as it would be for other races perhaps, but it would allow for having all the disciplines available to all the races.

-Morloc

Yes, what battledawn said made a lot of sense. As a matter of fact, I believe that's the direction we're going to go. So, if you pick Xenophobic and Unhallowed you will always raze a conquered city even though if you "captured" it the population would be transformed into undead anyway. It's a very clean fix imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yes, what battledawn said made a lot of sense. As a matter of fact, I believe that's the direction we're going to go. So, if you pick Xenophobic and Unhallowed you will always raze a conquered city even though if you "captured" it the population would be transformed into undead anyway. It's a very clean fix imo.
    Yeah, especially since this would count for your cities that you lose and then take back.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Mage’s Assistant
    Another thing I noticed:

When a Bad Moon hits that removes the benefit of religious buildings, it hits Unhallowed *hard*. I don't know if there's a "famine" event that removes the benefit of food-producing buildings, but I can imagine a scenario where you're already starved for negative energy in trying to maintain an army/tech, you get hit with a Bad Moon, and you start losing troops left and right.

I know the race is unique and therefore has unique disadvantages, but is this considered an acceptable amount of pain?

EDIT - On second thought, it might have a very similar effect to the rest of the races. If you lose the benefit of the unrest removal from your religious buildings, you have to compensate by losing Production most likely to increase food, or lowering taxes and miss out on Gold/turn. The NE loss may be roughly equivalent, but I suppose it feels like more (for me) because it already feels impossible to tech beyond Temple/Armory in the first 150 turns of the game if I want to live/have any sort of army.

Odds are this is fine, but NE balance made me feel like it was way prickly.
    Last edited by Cogbyrn; 02-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.

It's probably fine, but we do need to keep an eye on it. The random events are meant to make things a little easier or a little more difficult. They're not meant to be "You Win!" and "You Lose!" events.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast