Thread: 1.0.3 - Locked Power Spheres still receive newly acquire mana income

Mage’s Assistant

1.0.3 - Locked Power Spheres still receive newly acquire mana income

Howdy there,

Locked Power Spheres values can still be increased when you gain additional mana income.

Let's say you have 100 power, assign 20 to your Mana Pool and lock the sphere. If you get a shrine, temple, or your population increases (for races that pop generate mana), there is a chance that the increase income will be added to that sphere.

I'd assume that if I lock a sphere, if new mana comes in it would be distributed among the unlocked spheres. (With the exception being that all spheres are locked. )

Cheers,

It's not spelled out anywhere that I saw, but I'm almost certain that locking the spheres locks their ratio, not their value. So say your 20 mana was 10% of your power pool at the time you locked it. If your power pool went up from 200 to 300, your mana pool should go from 20 to 30.

It's consistent with what I see. I always keep my mana sphere at 0 and it stays put; but the research and spellcraft spheres do change values, even when I have one of them locked, as well.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    It's not spelled out anywhere that I saw, but I'm almost certain that locking the spheres locks their ratio, not their value. So say your 20 mana was 10% of your power pool at the time you locked it. If your power pool went up from 200 to 300, your mana pool should go from 20 to 30.

It's consistent with what I see. I always keep my mana sphere at 0 and it stays put; but the research and spellcraft spheres do change values, even when I have one of them locked, as well.
    Fair enough,

But for those who want to maintain X mana for their upkeep, and invest all in Spellcraft and research, it's quite annoying. I play with Dark Elves, so after you have 12+ towns, you get new buildings and population quite frequently, so I have to adjust my Mana allocation constantly, as it goes from 26, to 27, 28, etc. I have alchemy, I don't want to waste mana in reserve apart from spell upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    I have alchemy, I don't want to waste mana in reserve apart from spell upkeep.
    I was waiting to reply to see if this would change, but it hasn't - if you have Alchemy, I really think the most efficient use of your power is to lock mana income to 0 and balance your finances through gold, which you should get a lot of if you aggressively knock over world features (even on scarce, you should still get enough to get by). Alchemy is so overpowered because it reduces gold and mana to a single resource that you can fill two ways - but the *only* way to get more Spellcraft is through use of Power*, and at least until you get to about 200 or so Spellcraft, that's a pretty important thing to be generating. Merchant will give you mana; Trade Goods will give you mana; devoting a city to research will give you research. But only Power gives Spellcraft, and I do lurves me some Spellcraft.

*Yeah, I know I'm wrong. There are at least two enchantments off the top of my head that increase Spellcraft. I meant base Spellcraft. :/