Thread: MedievalNerd Spell Codex - V0.9c

Mage’s Assistant

Post MedievalNerd Spell Codex - V0.9c

Greetings fellow adventurers!

Although a tremendous amount of work was put into the wiki, I still wanted something where I could sort spells and see their effects at a glance. So I create an excel sheet in which all the spells are listed. I've put in various columns to help sort/identify the spells. Took some liberties with renaming some spell types, it's not perfect and i'm open to suggestions.

I was too lazy to implement sorting tables and they can annoy me at times. But anyone who has excel can easily select the entire list and columns, select custom sort and then reorganize the spells by whatever way you like. They are currently in order of elemental schools & tiers. Feel free to play with it.

Why I made this?

I'm currently working on a review for Worlds Of Magic, and instead of just glancing at the spells I wanted to get a full and complete image of how the difference schools stack up against each other.

What can I do with this?

You can see spells sorted in any of the categories/columns I've created. You can see which schools have more buffs, more damage or whichever spell type is more suitable to your playstyle. Take note that all spell names cells are linked to the wiki. So you can go there for more information if you like.

Where can I get it?

Right here, I'm hosting it on my dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lerj0rj94q...0.9c.xlsx?dl=0

I would have preferred XYZ instead of ABC...

You have a suggestion or feel like something is off, feel free to post/comment or pm me and I'll update it when time is available.

Hope this is useful for some until the official spellbook is out!
    Last edited by MedievalNerd; 04-05-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Apprentice
    Great job!
    I would just like to see separate columns for DC, damage/healing range. (Infusion probably too, but that one mostly is informative enough just when "Infusion : Y/N" the details are in most cases uniform from spell to spell)

Awesome job!
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts View Post
    Great job!
    I would just like to see separate columns for DC, damage/healing range. (Infusion probably too, but that one mostly is informative enough just when "Infusion : Y/N" the details are in most cases uniform from spell to spell)
    Why, thank you! Took a good 10 hours or so to make, lol.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I would include damage values since they may be tweaked. But I do intend going over the list and adding the description (effects in wiki) to all the spells. You'll notice only the later tiered spells have the full description.

Just a random FYI, I used term 'sacrifice' for any "buff" that would also have a negative side effect. Things like sacrifice population for production, or a unit takes a malus in something but gains a bonus in something else. Not sure if it's super clear, but in the end I think it can give a bit of a clearer image that it's not just a straight forward buff.

Some global enchantments that would reveal tiles, armies or allow to view a city screen, I called them 'divination'. That way you know it's something that will reveal information and not provide a bonus to your cities or armies.

I also only realized about halfway through the codex that I didn't have an infusion column, and I think that since it's a bit rare and quite powerful, it'd be nice to know which spells had the possibility of infusion.

In some cases you'll see damage spells that affect the entire battlefield and that it also target friendlies, I'm not sure if it's a typo but in those cases the wiki doesn't state that it only affects enemy units.

Anyway I welcome the feedback, I'll try to make it more useful if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Awesome job!
    Praises from the makers! I feel special! Thank you!

Cheers,
    Last edited by MedievalNerd; 03-30-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Adept Sorcerer
    I say sticky this and let people update it as changes are made to the game.
    No reason not to use the external help you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by mastroego View Post
    I say sticky this and let people update it as changes are made to the game.
    No reason not to use the external help you can get.
    Not a bad idea
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/