Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Empires & UI Limitations

Mage’s Assistant

Large Empires & UI Limitations

Howdy there,

As I'm working on my finishing my 'first' full game, I've run into a few issues that make large empire management quite a pain.

The city list although aesthetically pleasing, it's not conducive to large empire management. With no sorting options once you get 20+ cities, it's really a scrolling party that no one wants to attend.

There should at least be some options to sort cities by population, production or at least plane. I only have 1 full plane (on small map!) and started moving into a second plane, and I already have too many cities to manage properly with the current city list.

Anyone else played games with very large empires? How do you mange it, do you use the city screen list? Or do you just cycle through all your cities each turn?

Another thing that is a bit problematic with very large empires, is that as you build up, you can get 10+ production complete pop ups. And if you start dismissing them in a frenzy, it can cause you to mistakenly dismiss a finished spell. Or if you don't dismiss them, you might just miss it because it's buried in the sea of production complete pop ups.

Could spell casting be more emphasized? IE, not a small icon pop up but a center screen pop up. Small spells like Transcendence aren't so bad, but once you are casting 500+ mana spells it's a bit sad to miss the casting because of a UI mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    Anyone else played games with very large empires? How do you mange it, do you use the city screen list?

if you start dismissing them in a frenzy, it can cause you to mistakenly dismiss a finished spell.
    To the first - I'm finishing up a game on 7 planes, Gigantic. I have maybe 300 cities or so (as you've noticed, it's hard to keep track after a while) across the planes. My preferred city management technique is just to garrison a unit or two per city, then queue up the buildings all the way to "housing" or "trade goods" and never go back to the city (except for the first 100 turns or so, when I make settlers every time population gets above 4,000). You just can't micromanage that much. The city list is no use at all - every now and then, go into a city and just scroll through using the "next city" arrow to make sure you have the number of farmers/laborers/researchers you want in each city.

As to the second, when you finish casting a spell, even if you dismiss the icon, the spell is still waiting to be cast. Go to your spellbook, and look at the bottom for a tab with an exclamation mark on it. There are all your spells that are stored - which is to say, charged up and waiting for you to cast. I just check that whenever I expect a spell might be ready, since with so many cities, there may be upwards of 100 population growth + building complete notifications per turn.

None of this would be necessary except that I wanted to try one game with massive city spam and see how it worked. 209 turns in, I've got about 75% of the planes explored, nearly full in every spell circle, and several thousand gold and mana per turn. The game has a hard time crunching that much info on my not-so-new-anymore desktop, so I'll probably just SoD and end it rather than try to purify the entire Shadow plane, which my clerics, runepriests, skalds, and druids are busily doing

Neophyte Sorcerer
    I have about 75 cities, all on one plane (haven't actually worked out planar travel yet), and have run into the same problems. I am a micromanager by nature though, so I go through every city with some frequency, verify that there are no rebels and work to fix it if there are, and so on. I wouldn't dream of letting a cast spell go un-"released", and I put Tranquility on a lot of cities because I play Dark Elves, and it's pretty much required because of their unrest penalties.

I've made the same suggestions about being able to sort the city listing, and fully agree. It needs to be sortable by size, by plane, by production of food, mana, and actual production, and so on. I'm sure it's on their to-do list.
    Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how great your achievements, or how miserable your failures, there will always be one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

We do need to add some features to make city management easier. Just keep making suggestions and we'll keep improving.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Arcane Candidate
    Can't you make it possible to appoint nobles (governors) to rule in your name on geographical areas. Could be that you need to promote a unit or hero to be the new noble. You could have a hierarchy of nobles on each plane.

How much you can control your nobles and how faithful they are can be another interesting part of the game.

We've talked about something like this in the past. And there's a good chance we'll be able to add some kind of "Viziers" to handle city management in the long run.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Adept Sorcerer
    How about you make lists of buildings that players can choose in cities window?

it is just a queue list.

another thing, if a city could be in a group of cities that have similar ratios of worker,farmers and scholars that would be neat and would help a lot in dealing with micromanagement issues, while allowing you control of your cities.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Regarding notification popups on the right-hand side of the GUI: multiple instances of the same notification should stack. The stack should display a number that shows how many of the same type of notification appear in the stack.

E.g. you get three 'population increase' notifcations:
    1. A single 'exclamation mark' icon appears with a '3' in it
    2. You can left click through each of the three notifications, which will move the POV window to the respective cities that have grown
    3. You can right-click the icon once to dismiss all three notifications.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Yco View Post
    Regarding notification popups on the right-hand side of the GUI: multiple instances of the same notification should stack. The stack should display a number that shows how many of the same type of notification appear in the stack.

E.g. you get three 'population increase' notifcations:
    1. A single 'exclamation mark' icon appears with a '3' in it
    2. You can left click through each of the three notifications, which will move the POV window to the respective cities that have grown
    3. You can right-click the icon once to dismiss all three notifications.

Regarding city management screen. We should be able to:
    1. Sort by city name
    2. Sort by production, population, gold income, mana income
    3. Click between tabs, where each tab is a plane of existence (there should be an 'All' tab as well)
    4. We should be able to select an opponent SorcLord and view the list of cities they have so that we can compare them to our own
    Genius! Wasteland, DO EET!

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Regarding city management screen. We should be able to:
    1. Sort by city name
    2. Sort by production, population, gold income, mana income
    3. Click between tabs, where each tab is a plane of existence (there should be an 'All' tab as well)
    4. We should be able to select an opponent SorcLord and view the list of cities they have so that we can compare them to our own (city data thus displayed should depend on the latest information we have; i.e. the last time we scouted the city - unless we have an information-sharing diplomacy agreement with the opponent, in which case all data should be current)
    Last edited by Yco; 04-13-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast