Thread: End Game Income & Potential Abuse

Mage’s Assistant

End Game Income & Potential Abuse

Howdy there,

As some might have guessed from my past posts, I played MOM to death and managed to destroy the AI at impossible many times. My favorite combination was using life magic and the stream of life spell combined with Alchemy skill. That way you could put your tax rate to max, get tons of population and use your gold to quickly grow your cities and get mana into your stockpile.

With WOM, you can do something similar with Mentalism a combination of Transcendence, Golden Age and Aspirations. I'm currently doing 6500+ per turn, and can basically built a whole city or raise a huge army in a single turn.

This brings me to questioning whether or not a rushed construction should have a mandatory 'next turn' until it' built mechanic. Because seriously, I could colonize an entire plane in a matter of turns at this stage. Not to mention raise cities fully built and shifted to housing for a few turns before they turn into gold mines and shifted to trade goods.

Also, the game doesn't like it when you have a four figure income, with the decimals it'll run off on the food icon. :'(

Couple that with city spam and the tier 9 Life spell Life Tap, and you can add another 2,000 or so in mana per turn. Plus, of course, by end game you have all the spells. I think that, like MoM, the end-game isn't meant to be balanced. You could have cast the Spell of Domination at any time. You could have destroyed all the AI Sorcerer Lords. If you didn't, it was because you wanted to see "how big can this get?" and, well, that's how big.

Honestly, any time spent after about turn 200 or so is an intentional choice to prolong the game. The game absolutely shouldn't be balanced around that. So, specifically, I'd hate to see the rushed construction of armies have a delay, though I wouldn't mind seeing rushed unit construction have a population cost - because I'm all about soft caps, not hard.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Another way too curtail all of these late game shenanigans would be to put soft limits on the number of cities you can have. The way a lot of games do that is by increasing unrest after a certain number of cities, and this can be variable depending on the size game you are playing and such.

Also, your "200 turns" statement is also contingent on world size too. I'm approaching turn 400 in my current game, and haven't gone to war with anybody yet. About to, though.
    Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how great your achievements, or how miserable your failures, there will always be one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tad Wesley View Post
    Also, your "200 turns" statement is also contingent on world size too. I'm approaching turn 400 in my current game, and haven't gone to war with anybody yet.
    I've got to disagree. It's the same game I referred to in another post - 7 planes, Gigantic. I wasn't even in full-on HK mode, but by turn 180 or so I had been to every plane and found all the AI Sorcerer Lords. Just finished up turn 210, and the only reason the game isn't over is that I was dragging it out to see how much "stuff" one Sorcerer Lord could acquire. Efficient expansion should see you outgrow your home plane in 50-60 turns or so. Maybe 75 on Colossal.

Though you did say you're playing Dark Elves. They're probably the slowest race to get going, I think. But once you can produce Weavers, the game's over - nothing can survive an opening volley of a full army-worth of Doom Bolts

LATE EDIT: I'd like to take that back. I'm so used to Master of Magic that I obviously, of course, made my own Sorcerer Lord, but I tried playing a couple maps with a pregen Sorclord and Dark Elves. The pregenned options are so staggeringly bad that expansion in the first 20 turns is downright hard. So, apologies for that. If you are using a pregenerated Sorcerer Lord, I can absolutely see how in 200 turns one might only barely make it out of their home plane.
    Last edited by OneFiercePuppy; 04-12-2015 at 04:06 AM. Reason: turn 180, not 150; had to check ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    Also, the game doesn't like it when you have a four figure income, with the decimals it'll run off on the food icon. :'(
    Ugh, I know. The decimals thing.... I really wish they would just round.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it up!!
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Arcane Candidate
    I agree with MedievalNerd's assessment about the endgame instant building of cities, and agree there should be a limit to the number of constructions allowed per city per turn. It doesn't necessarily have to be just 1, but something reasonable to allow for expansion in multi realm campaigns without making it feel like a cheat. Say 3 to 5 per turn max? and even that would allow fast expansion with enough cash.
    I don't know if I like the 'soft cap' on city numbers as it wouldn't address this problem directly.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tad Wesley View Post
    Another way too curtail all of these late game shenanigans would be to put soft limits on the number of cities you can have. The way a lot of games do that is by increasing unrest after a certain number of cities, and this can be variable depending on the size game you are playing and such.
    I am totally against this.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Ugh, I know. The decimals thing.... I really wish they would just round.
    On the other hand, I am totally in agreement with this.
    The Wiki.