Thread: More Negative Traits For Sorcerer Lords & Game Pacing Options

Mage’s Assistant

More Negative Traits For Sorcerer Lords & Game Pacing Options

Howdy there,

Extra Negative Traits

I was curious if there were any plans to add negative traits?

I was thinking one that could impact your casting skill would be nice. Like costing 50% or twice as much to raise your casting skill?

Similar to Alchemy, a trait that would prevent transferring mana to gold and vice versa.

Just two that come to mind.

Game Pacing Options

It would be great to see additional world generation options to help pace the game to fit with large world games and/or those who enable all the planes. As it stands it seems that the game is well paced for a single plane. Options to increase research, construction and training costs. That would be great. That way you could stretch out game sessions.

Judging by the number of cities people said they had in the thread about end game income, researching the spell of mastery with 200 cities probably doesn't take long!

Cheers,

We certainly can add more negative disciplines to the lineup in time.

And we're probably going to add options that allow you to modify the income values to suite the pace you want to play at. (And, of course, players will be able to mod very specific changes.)

Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming!!
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    Judging by the number of cities people said they had in the thread about end game income, researching the spell of mastery with 200 cities probably doesn't take long!
    The real hack for it right now is when you start researching a spell with a high casting cost, immediately hit up one or even two Old Libraries. They give you not a flat amount of research, but a percentage of the spell you're currently researching - so those Tier 8 and 9 spells will often get over 1,000 research per Old Library - and Old Library research bonuses stack. If you keep three Old Libraries uncaptured, then when the spell of mastery comes up you should be able to research it in a single turn >.>

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    Options to increase research, construction and training costs.
    I would love this. I actually broke out a little spreadsheet and started trying to balance out a complete overhaul of unit costs and abilities with the purpose of making huge games make more sense (and some balancing to make up for the lack of aggression and efficiency the AI shows). But, I suck at it, and if the Wasteland guys do it it'll be much better than some dumb fan mod which I don't even yet know if I can code in
    Last edited by OneFiercePuppy; 04-11-2015 at 06:17 PM.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    The real hack for it right now is when you start researching a spell with a high casting cost, immediately hit up one or even two Old Libraries. They give you not a flat amount of research, but a percentage of the spell you're currently researching - so those Tier 8 and 9 spells will often get over 1,000 research per Old Library - and Old Library research bonuses stack. If you keep three Old Libraries uncaptured, then when the spell of mastery comes up you should be able to research it in a single turn >.>

I would love this. I actually broke out a little spreadsheet and started trying to balance out a complete overhaul of unit costs and abilities with the purpose of making huge games make more sense (and some balancing to make up for the lack of aggression and efficiency the AI shows). But, I suck at it, and if the Wasteland guys do it it'll be much better than some dumb fan mod which I don't even yet know if I can code in
    Ohh! I didn't even know the values were exposed... silly me.

Well if you want to experiment, try a flat rate by %. Try at first 20%, and see how it feels. But I have to say updating alllll the units and all the buildings would be insane. Perhaps just the buildings and the spell research costs would be feasible. But spells alone you are looking at 300 or so? Making the spell codex took me forever, but I have to say this would be much easier in a way.

EDIT: And you made me confirm my suspicions, the Fishery has absolutely no income or food bonus. Boo! :P

Code:
        <type>FISHERY</type>    <requiredBuildings>
          <WFCityBuildingType>SHIPYARD</WFCityBuildingType>
        </requiredBuildings>
        <productionCost>150</productionCost>
        <goldCost>2</goldCost>
        <manaCost>0</manaCost>
        <foodCost>0</foodCost>
        <neCost>0</neCost>
        <goldIncome>0</goldIncome>
        <foodIncome>0</foodIncome>
        <powerIncome>0</powerIncome>
        <researchIncome>0</researchIncome>
        <neIncome>0</neIncome>
        <goldBonus>0</goldBonus>
        <foodBonus>0</foodBonus>
        <powerBonus>0</powerBonus>
        <productionBonus>0</productionBonus>
        <researchBonus>0</researchBonus>
        <neBonus>0</neBonus>
        <scrapValue>45</scrapValue>

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Some of the things you could do on top of boosting spell research and construction costs, you could lightly, and I do mean lightly, tweak the gold and food bonuses from buildings. That way it could give the AI a bigger pool of money and food to build armies with. I'm assuming the AI builds up to x% of food production or it's at least a factor, that and obviously income.
    Last edited by MedievalNerd; 04-12-2015 at 12:03 AM.