Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Back to the game - comments

  1. #1
    Adept Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    50

    Back to the game - comments

    Hi guys, thanks for the work done so far.
    I'm back now that the game is "unofficially completed", so to speak.

    First the negatives:
    After all these months, I'm quite surprised to see the UI is still "difficult", but I'll force myself to learn "how the UI thinks".
    Roamers are still out-of-hand and are killing my enjoyment of the game. I'm baffled that there's been NO tuning down whatsoever of this issue, or at least a game-creation option to do so.
    It's a chore to have to deal with them ALL the time.
    Seriously, did MoM handle roamers this way?
    I honestly don't remember anything of the sort.
    Third let-down is the map, which is improved, but still sports those ugly mountains...

    Anyway, having said all of that.
    The game is fun and very, very MoM-ish, I hope the journey will continue.
    And please tell me how to kill/edit/tone down/cheat away those roamers!

  2. #2
    Unless you're going for Silence Will Fall, just keep two low-upkeep units in each city and when you see the roamers, go out to get them if they're weak, and let them attack you if they're not as weak. If they're absolutely strong, summon something Your spells will win the fights for you, and your units will gain experience.

    The benefits of a level-up are still quite large, so if you can get even one low-upkeep unit per city at base+5, you'll stomp the roaming armies handily. If you're having a hard time with them, play as Grey Elves; the Archers are just ridiculously powerful units for their upkeep, making the entire early game much, much easier. If you don't want to play Grey Elves, then make sure to grab at least one pick of Fire/Destruction; Walking Bomb will manage any roaming army. Even better if you pick up a summoning spell, or Spiky Rocks.

    EDIT: I would actually recommend something like in the attached images, if you're having trouble with the roamers. Strategic spell picks were Raise Militia, Slaveworks, and Tranquility. With a setup like this, you have all the options you'll ever need to handle roaming armies of any type. Flyers? Vacuum them down and stab them. Groups of weak enemies? Summon a slime, cast walking bomb on it, let the enemy group around it and die in the explosion. Slightly harder enemies? Pick one unit as a sacrifice, cast False Life on it, let it go into melee. If the fight looks like it might take a while, summon a slime, then Unholy Sacrifice it for 80 healing on your sacrifical unit. End with walking bomb, again, then clean up whatever is left. If it were my choice, I'd add Heretic for 2 picks and use them on Mentor - even a crappy hero makes a huge difference in the first ten turns of a map.

    Selections.jpgspell selections.jpg

    SECOND EDIT: If you're just bothered by the frequency of the roamers (which, on second reading, it looks like you are) then I'd just recommend you expand like a plague of locusts and devour everything in your passing. Roamers need to spawn *from* something, so capture all the cities, plunder all the lairs, and you'll see very, very quickly that the roamers go from hordes to rare stragglers.
    Last edited by OneFiercePuppy; 07-27-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: details.

  3. #3
    Adept Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for the suggestions, OneFiercePuppy.
    I found out a few "tricks" myself, too, like, well, ignoring roamers under some conditions!
    Anyway, I'm getting a little better with the game, so, time for a few additional comments:



    Info/Feedback

    - UI still isn't very informative: it's hard to understand how bonuses and multipliers are applied, what's affected and such

    - Many spells have rather foggy statistics/descriptions They target an "unit", say. How long do they last? It's not always indicated, so what does it mean when there's no upkeep either? And does the unit need to be a hero? Etc, etc.

    - Holy Weapons *heals* living enemies... ok, I can get behind this (hmm, not really, just avoid the Extra Damage....), but a note somewhere about this would have been nice...

    - Still placeholder texts! Seriously guys, this is unacceptable! It's months and months past the initial release! Two abilities of my first hero have NO descriptions. Guys, it boggles the mind!



    Graphical Glitches

    - Units sometimes "disappear" (happened often in the Shadow Plane) THIS MAKES THEM ENTIRELY UNSELECTABLE IF YOU HAVE THEM FORTIFY!!!!!

    - There's an undead Titan whose model takes literally the WHOLE screen

    - Equipment like armors is sometimes misplaced in the model



    Ease of Use

    - Feature: "Build Road To" NECESSARY

    - An in-game Wiki, or AT LEAST an out_of_game one, is NECESSARY. Seriously, there is NO game without information about spells and such. I know you know that. How can you expect people NOT to complain?



    That's all for now.
    I guess I'll add more as I keep playing (because yes, I'm having fun with the game. That's why it's frustrating to see the Devs doing their level best to keep players away from this game)
    Last edited by mastroego; 08-01-2015 at 02:42 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mastroego View Post
    - UI still isn't very informative: it's hard to understand how bonuses and multipliers are applied, what's affected and such
    The game uses the open D20 ruleset, which you can find sourcebooks for with just a quick Google search. If you're having a hard time understanding the mechanics, for now I'd say go look up how d20 works. For old grognards like myself, it's a super-simple ruleset, but I get that if you didn't grow up on painfully inscrutable gaming systems it may still be a little unclear, sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by mastroego View Post
    - Many spells have rather foggy statistics/descriptions They target an "unit", say. How long do they last? It's not always indicated, so what does it mean when there's no upkeep either? And does the unit need to be a hero? Etc, etc.
    Can you give a more detailed example of this? If a spell has an upkeep, the duration is "as long as you pay the upkeep". If it does not have an upkeep, and has no duration listed, the duration is "instant" if overland, "instant" if tactical direct damage, or "until combat ends" for tactical other. And if the target is "unit" then it should be an arbitrary unit, ie your choice. Off the top of my head (cue eleventyone examples of me being wrong) I can't think of any spells that can only target heroes instead of normal army units. EDIT: Raise Hero. Right. There's one. But it should be obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by mastroego View Post
    An in-game Wiki, or AT LEAST an out_of_game one, is NECESSARY. Seriously, there is NO game without information about spells and such. I know you know that. How can you expect people NOT to complain?
    Did you take a look at the game manual? It's actually a pretty good start, and assuming you're playing on Steam, your copy should have come with one. This part actually applies to the first part, about the d20 ruleset, in general. EDIT: unlike most steam games, I can't just right-click and choose "view player manual." But the manual is by default in steamapps/common/WorldsofMagic/Docs


    Not trying to take away from your points. Just offering workarounds.

    ---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

    EDITED AWAY: Nope, nope, nope. Can't select armies from the army screen, so this part was all wrong.

    ---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mastroego View Post
    - Holy Weapons *heals* living enemies... ok, I can get behind this (hmm, not really, just avoid the Extra Damage....), but a note somewhere about this would have been nice...
    Positive Energy heals the living; Negative Energy heals the undead. Just in case you were about to go invade the Shadow Plane with a bunch of +1d6 Negative Energy weapons
    Last edited by OneFiercePuppy; 08-01-2015 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added manual location

  5. #5
    Adept Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    The game uses the open D20 ruleset, which you can find sourcebooks for with just a quick Google search.
    Yes, thanks, I used to be a D&D player... old editions, but D20 doesn't seem too different.


    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    Can you give a more detailed example of this? If a spell has an upkeep, the duration is "as long as you pay the upkeep". If it does not have an upkeep, and has no duration listed, the duration is "instant" if overland, "instant" if tactical direct damage, or "until combat ends" for tactical other.
    Well, I figured something similar, but it's not made clear at all, at least not in-game.
    Also there's very little consistency.
    For instance, the spell that summons an Angel says "this spell costs 7 mana per turn" in its description, instead of having the Upkeep line in the spell stats. Why is that?
    Also consider a spell like Regeneration. It says: "The unit gains Regeneration".
    Well, wow!
    And what does Regeneration do? Does it resurrect a unit after a battle, as in many similar games? Or does it heal points per turn? If so, how many? Does it work during tactical as well? Heck the description says NOTHING.


    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    Did you take a look at the game manual? It's actually a pretty good start, and assuming you're playing on Steam, your copy should have come with one. This part actually applies to the first part, about the d20 ruleset, in general. EDIT: unlike most steam games, I can't just right-click and choose "view player manual." But the manual is by default in steamapps/common/WorldsofMagic/Docs
    Indeed I have to do that. I admit I'm lazy. Still I think the game should give easier access to at least some basic informations.


    And, how could I forget?
    FONTS!
    My God this is truly unbelievable.
    How did those pass the Beta Testing phase? Or the Alpha one, for that matter.
    People complained about them months ago, and they're still there.
    It's not "small fonts", it's LEGAL FINE PRINT you don't want people to read.
    Units and Hero stats, Level-Up screens.... I have to literally get up from the chair and glue my face to the monitor to read. Not to mention, when you select a skill, it gets "highlighted" with the same color as the background, so you can never tell what's selected!
    It's insane, what was passing through the devs' minds?
    Really, I'm sorry to sound so negative about these aspects of the game, but choices like these defy reason and comprehension.
    Last edited by mastroego; 08-03-2015 at 07:56 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mastroego View Post
    For instance, the spell that summons an Angel says "this spell costs 7 mana per turn" in its description, instead of having the Upkeep line in the spell stats. Why is that?
    Well, because the spell itself has no duration and thus no upkeep; it's instant. The 7 mana per turn is unit upkeep, and should not actually be listed in spell upkeep, since, again, once you cast the spell it's done. You can't "dispel" the Angel. It's a magical unit, and has mana upkeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by mastroego View Post
    Also consider a spell like Regeneration. It says: "The unit gains Regeneration".
    Well, wow!
    And what does Regeneration do? Does it resurrect a unit after a battle, as in many similar games? Or does it heal points per turn? If so, how many? Does it work during tactical as well? Heck the description says NOTHING.
    I would really like for anything referenced in spell descriptions to be hyperlinked, so I'm with you on that. But somewhere (maybe a tooltip for Regeneration? I delete all my old saved games and don't have anything with regeneration currently, so I can't easily go look it up) in the game it describes what Regeneration does - unit gains 10% of the max HP of a single figure, per combat turn. I think it might also say that after combat the unit returns to full health, but that may be me just remembering the MoM spell

    What resolution are you playing the game at, by the way? I don't have a problem with the fonts at 3840x2160, but that's a rather high resolution.

  7. #7
    Adept Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    Well, because the spell itself has no duration and thus no upkeep; it's instant. The 7 mana per turn is unit upkeep, and should not actually be listed in spell upkeep, since, again, once you cast the spell it's done. You can't "dispel" the Angel. It's a magical unit, and has mana upkeep.
    Ok, touché on this one.
    Still, a standardized format would have removed any ambiguity.
    The simple description line "Duration: Instant" would emphasize that the spell ends with the summoning.


    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    But somewhere ... in the game it describes what Regeneration does - unit gains 10% of the max HP of a single figure, per combat turn. I think it might also say that after combat the unit returns to full health, but that may be me just remembering the MoM spell
    If it was specified, like, in its description, one wouldn't have to imagine similarities with other games...

    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    What resolution are you playing the game at, by the way? I don't have a problem with the fonts at 3840x2160, but that's a rather high resolution.
    I have a rather standard (I guess) 1920x1080 Resolution. I mean the native one of most monitors nowadays.
    A good portion of the text is barely readable, another good portion is extremely hard to read, and another good part is pretty darn close to impossible to read even when I'm sticking my face to the monitor.
    Again, it really boggles the mind, can't tell what the devs were after here...

  8. #8
    Adept Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    50
    So I've just read you guys plan a "relaunch".
    I didn't think you'd have it in you but it's great. Best wishes with it, I certainly think WoM deserves the new chance done properly.

    Well, you know what the issues with the game are by now.
    I just want to remind you about those cosmetic and flavor additions marking events, spells researched, and so on.
    Even little things like static drawings.
    You NEED them.
    Give those new (and old?) reviewers the feeling that they're playing a completed game.

    Again, good work and good luck!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
footer