Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [BUGS] 1.2.5 has some new old problems

Hybrid View

[BUGS] 1.2.5 has some new old problems

A little disappointing, since these are bugs that I haven't seen in patches and patches. Given how many of the bugs which have been reported here on the forums are still in the game, I'm beginning to think you guys aren't checking the posts anymore, so this might be the last time I waste your forum space with bug posts

- Spiky Rocks is crashing combat, again.

- The fog of war bug is back, again. (Still?)

- Illusion Immunity is broken again. Phantom warriors and beasts, as well as units with Ghost Touch or Ethereal, still ignore armor on units with Illusion Immunity.

- EDIT: My mistake, here. I thought Summon Champion was broken, but it looks like there's a set hero that it will summon. Since I was trying from the same cast, I was getting the same hero again and again, but that looks like the way the spell is meant to work. So, sort of like an Inn, if you don't like the hero you get, try again in a few turns.

- Actually, following on to the point above, I'm thinking that for some tasks, your RNG doesn't have any R to it. Is it possible that your RNG could have some sort of a seed value that gets stuck? I just got the same hero seven times in a row from conquering different world features over the course of two turns. I'm not one to discount confirmation bias but that's starting to stretch the bounds of credulity.

- EDIT: Thanks to nik_lin for testing a save of mine. This may be my hardware, not the game, so this one's removed.

- Units with spell resistance, upon failing to resist a spell, are not getting a chance to make a saving throw. EDIT: I feel like I didn't make this a big enough deal. Wastelands, you need to fix this most rikki-tik. You have effectively taken saving throws away from Dark Elves, as well as higher-tier units of most other races. Also, units with SR aura, like Unicorns, now cripple their entire army with a SR so low most spells penetrate it, while disabling saving throws for those units.

- EDIT: Thanks to nik_lin for testing a save of mine. This may be my hardware, not the game, so this one's removed.

- Ranged units, in melee range with a flying unit, will initiate melee attacks, failing to hit the flying target, and take hits in return. So now, ranged units can be killed for free by parking a flyer next to them; at least when retaliating they had a chance to hit, but now they just stupidly kill themselves off.

- drifting.jpg
    Units that take damage sometimes seem to lose track of where they're supposed to stand, especially if figures die and are brought back by healing. See how those Rangers are overlapping into an adjacent square? That's a fairly mild example; and when it gets extreme enough, it causes combat to hang with detached units doing the eternal march in place. EDIT: it happens most often, it seems, when the units have to turn in place a lot; in other words, when surrounded and being attacked by multiple opponents each turn.

- Sometimes on game load, units lose their movement points for the turn. This won't be that big a deal once the game is polished, but as broken as things are right now, it's not that uncommon to have to reload or restart several times in a single turn.

- Your autocombat system has a little problem. If you do part of the combat manually, and autoresolve the combat, the end result is that experience is only awarded for the units killed during autocombat. I'm sure that part-manual, part-automatic combat wasn't really a test case you bothered with because it's a strange thing to do, but in quite a few combats over the last few days I've gotten to a point where I can't actually end my turn - the hourglass icon isn't responsive, nor is the keyboard shortcut. Thus, manual combat until you can't, and autocomplete.

- The thing where no loot is shown for clearing a world feature is far, far more common than it used to be. It seems to happen most often right after loading a game, or right before the game calls time out and crashes, freezes, or hangs.

- Almost every bug in my thread about bugs in 1.2.4 is still in the game, along with the bugs that other users have posted in these forums. So, I suppose you guys probably had 1.2.5 locked down and in testing for a few weeks.

Overall, still better than version 1.0, but you've let some of the old gamebreaking bugs creep back in.
    Last edited by OneFiercePuppy; 09-09-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Mage’s Assistant
    Good heavens. I haven't even checked things like this yet, and judging by the myriad of issues you found I'm sure there are a lot more waiting to be discovered (or discovered anew). :/

Pretty sure that there needs to be at least one full pass of all the spells, units, abilities, stats, factions, etc. Which would surely be a 100+hour test plan. Since there are so many of everything! And since we are currently in the middle of some rebalancing/AI work, these sorts of things can add a tipping bias to results. Things like Dark Elves not getting saving throws anymore? AI with that faction is going down.

Thanks for finding those. I'd love to hear some WI feedback and see how much detail they need to repro our issues and whether they can confirm they've repro'd it on their side.
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    Things like Dark Elves not getting saving throws anymore?
    You know, I actually bolded that part because I figured you'd be interested to know that. All the screenshots I remember you posting are from games where you're playing them I myself have generally played Grey Elves + Draconians, or High Men + Dwarves, so the Dark Elves are just pick-ups from Inns, usually. I don't play them because in manual combat, with good use of tactical spells, they're just too powerful ^_^ Cutters? Vortex of doom. Weavers? Game over. Enforcers? Excellent archer/crossbowman hybrid. And just recently I've developed a real appreciation for Arachnomancers, as well. Of course, nothing can stand against a titan or well-equipped champion, but still. Dark Elves are badass.

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    Thanks for finding those. I'd love to hear some WI feedback and see how much detail they need to repro our issues and whether they can confirm they've repro'd it on their side.
    I wish the same. Even if Aaron just showed up and said, "Hey, OFP, stop posting bugs. You're dumb and your ideas are bad." I'd still be happy because at least I'd know they're paying attention and presumably have a plan of action that seems - to them, anyway - to work. Right now all I know (and if you know more, please tell me ^_^ ) is that they keep rolling out broken patches, and I like the potential of this game enough that I'd like to help somehow if I'm able

Does anyone know if the spellcraft setting (under "magic") is working properly?

I didnt bother to change the balance between spellcraft, mana and research before but now I wanted to try casting supress magic to stop the other lord from using the spell of domination. However, even when setting everything to 100% spellcraft (giving me a total of 684 (+342) in the circle), casting the spell seems to take exactly as long as before... 3 turns and showing 455/1200 which is the same value as what I have in the box next to the circle showing 684 (+342) in the magic screen. Shouldnt the casting use 455 + 342 = 792 mana per turn, allowing me to cast the spell in only 2 turns?

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    Right now all I know (and if you know more, please tell me ^_^ ) is that they keep rolling out broken patches, and I like the potential of this game enough that I'd like to help somehow if I'm able
    Likewise, but it seems like the last couple of months they have been completely ignoring the input here... Or at least havent bothered to give any kind of feedback or reply :S

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Also, does anyone know how supress magic is supposed to work? Or rather: does it show anything when you have managed to stop a spell from being cast? Do you need to have cast detect magic before that in order to know what to disrupt? Is there any other spell to use that is more effective? I have tried supress magic 10 times now and never managed to stop the spell of domination from being cast.

Perhaps time stop is the only way to prevent it from being cast?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Ok, so to answer my own question: spell blast seems to work a lot better. Tried it 2 times and seems to have worked both times.

That's not how the Spellcraft sphere works, nik_lin. It is working correctly.

When you cast a spell, you can only spend up to your spell skill in mana per turn - that's the same as the number of mana you can spend per turn on enchanting, and should be the value just to the left of the Spellcraft sphere. Now, when you put points towards increasing your spell skill, you fill up the Spellcraft sphere, but that doesn't do anything right away. What happens is that each turn, the value in the Spellcraft sphere goes toward increasing your spell skill. It takes three times the value of your spell skill to increase spell skill another point. So, as an example...

You have a spell skill of 455. You need to add 1365 Spellcraft to increase your spell skill to 456. With 684+342 in your Spellcraft sphere, you add 1026 points toward increasing spell skill, so one full turn passes and your skill does not increase. On the second turn, you have the 1026 from the first turn, plus 1026 more, totalling 2052. 1365 of that goes to increasing your spell skill to 456, and the remaining 687 stays in the pool for next turn. With your new spell skill of 456, you'll need 1368 Spellcraft to increase skill to 457. This is why if you intend to cast a bunch of spells, you'll want to make capturing libraries a very, very high priority in the earliest parts of the game (first ten turns or so you should be able to get one or two), and never put any power into mana or research. Spell skill is all ^_^

Hm, I'll go look, but it's possible you only need twice your spell skill in Spellcraft to increase. If so, though the numbers change a little, the overall system I used in the example is still correct.
    EDIT: It does indeed appear to be double, not triple.
    Last edited by OneFiercePuppy; 09-07-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks for the explanation As I said, never really bothered with that so I obviously didn't know how it was working, just kept it rolling in the background. Was it covered by one of the tutorials?

Quote Originally Posted by nik_lin View Post
    Thanks for the explanation As I said, never really bothered with that so I obviously didn't know how it was working, just kept it rolling in the background. Was it covered by one of the tutorials?
    You know, I've never actually played the tutorials. I just played so much Master of Magic that it's a little embarrassing, and Spellcraft worked the same way in that game. I usually only play a tutorial if the game has no manual, and though the WoM manual isn't perfect, it's good enough - and of course the game is close enough to MoM - that I just read the manual then started playing.

Haha, even better.. I played a lot of MoM, obviously didnt pay attention to it back then either Too busy moving my toy soldiers around and exploring the maps, I guess.

Talking of exploring and leveling, I think that one area where WoM really needs some work is the heros/champions. The MoM ones had a lot of personality somehow, while in WoM they feel more like a regular unit somehow. Ended up not bothering with heroes at all in WoM for now. A 3d model and a block of text just cant beat an old school pixeled portrait when it comes to showing off a hero

Back on topic:

- Game just stopped during tactical battle, AI turn of course... Nothing in the log. Sorry, wasnt paying attention to exactly what happened before that so not sure how to reproduce, just wanted to highlight there are still issues with tactical battle (as others have pointed out as well).

- Running the game in windowed mode, resolution 1600*900, the surveyor dialog text looks a bit choppy, like its not as wide as the font is supposed to be so some lines of pixels get chopped off.

+ Glad to see the issue with forgetting the animation speed has finally been solved Was a pain to start the game, load a save, start playing only to realize in battle that the speed was back to normal, then back to the main menu to fix it, etc.

- After taking over enemy sorcerer's city, the colour of the city is correct on the minimap but not the colour of the "square" around the city on the real map.

- Another tactical battle got stuck, log shows:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 65)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at BattleUnit+<RangedPhase>c__Iterator83.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast