Thread: New Player

Arcane Candidate

New Player

I just got Worlds of Magic and I have a few questions. How much do roads help exactly? Terrain costs were mentioned in the manual, but I didn't see roads mentioned anywhere.
    Also, is there something like the Civpedia, that I am missing? It would really help.

Hello, new player

Roads should reduce the movement cost for the tile with roads to 0.5 for "straight" moves, and to 1 for "diagonal" moves. It shouldn't matter what terrain type they're on; moving through a swamp with roads should be just as fast as moving through plains with roads.

There's not a really great wiki yet, and there are a few reasons for that, some of which are good reasons, some of which are not

Ask specific questions in this forum. There are a few active users who know a lot about the game, and though you may have to wait a day for someone to answer you, either one of the Wastelands folks or one of the active forum-goers should be able to help you out. Also, though this sounds like me being a wise-ass, it's really not - you could go look up the rules for the old game Master of Magic. Don't get caught up in the exact numbers and names, but if you understand how Master of Magic (aka MoM) plays, then you will have a very good understanding of how Worlds of Magic (aka WoM) plays. WoM is meant to be a modern take on the genre that MoM defined. MoM is a classic, and an excellent game to play, still; but it shows its age increasingly badly.

Arcane Candidate
    Thanks for the reply. I used to play MOM years ago. I even got the big guidebook for it, back when they still used to put those out. Now you make me want to reinstall it, but i suppose it won't work with Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by ranma100 View Post
    i suppose it won't work with Windows 10.
    It works just fine as long as you're using DOSBox. If you don't want to bother with downloading DOSBox, installing it, and figuring out how to make it work (which is super easy if you can remember the old DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.0 command-line syntax), you could always go to gog.com and buy a copy of Master of Magic for five bucks. They package it with a custom-configured copy of DOSBox so you should just be able to download the installer, double-click on it, and be playing MoM within a couple minutes.

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFiercePuppy View Post
    It works just fine as long as you're using DOSBox. If you don't want to bother with downloading DOSBox, installing it, and figuring out how to make it work (which is super easy if you can remember the old DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.0 command-line syntax), you could always go to gog.com and buy a copy of Master of Magic for five bucks. They package it with a custom-configured copy of DOSBox so you should just be able to download the installer, double-click on it, and be playing MoM within a couple minutes.
    I may have to give that a try.