Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WOM Gone from GOG Upcoming List?

Acolyte

WOM Gone from GOG Upcoming List?

Worlds of Magic has been in the GOG.com "Upcoming" games list for months. I just noticed that WOM is no longer on that list. I then did a search on GOG to check their Worlds of Magic page. That page is gone too.

Perhaps I am missing something but I can only think of two options for what that means:

1. GOG has the latest version of WOM from Wastelands and has taken the page down to re-do it for the DRM free launch.

or

2. There is no prospect in the near term for a DRM free release on GOG and so GOG did not want to continue to imply that a launch was coming.

i hope the answer is 1. above or perhaps something else that I am missing. However, I am concerned that those of us backers of the two WOM Kickstarters who counted on the promised DRM free version have just been disappointed again.

That's a bit worrying, mods any chance of an official reply from one of the Wastelands team on this development. ?

Mage’s Assistant
    1.2.5 was way too buggy to be a release candidate. If they really want to do a second launch to offset the bad state of the game in the first launch, this wouldn't help at all.

As I said in another post, we barely get any actual feedback from WI on the forums anymore. I'm assuming the moderators posting are volunteers and aren't part of WI officially.
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW

It's not that we're not still reading the forums so much as we're not checking them as often as we were. Things are very busy for the team and the boards are slow. I don't have official word on the GoG situation, but I hope to be able to give you guys some information soon.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

ok thanks.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It's not that we're not still reading the forums so much as we're not checking them as often as we were. Things are very busy for the team and the boards are slow. I don't have official word on the GoG situation, but I hope to be able to give you guys some information soon.
    I was specifically targeting you Aaron. :P You are probably one of the last one that pops up to say hello, and don't worry.

But one can't deny the way WI has been seemingly, abandoning the forums. The tech forums are dead, the general discussion is hanging on by 1 or 2 subjects, and they aren't very pleasant ones at that.

We keep hearing the team is busy, but with absolutely no insight on what is actually happening. With the GOG release being pulled, it would be logical to assume that all horse power is now on the mobile/console version?

With the base game still needing tons of love, it feels that pushing for another platform release is the worse thing to do right now. The last thing you want is a release on another platform with still boggling issues and lackluster AI. But hey, it's not like production has been heading towards the best pratice for a while now. So might as well botch it up proper and release on mobile and ruin what little reputation WOM has left.

This is so depressing.
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    I'm assuming the moderators posting are volunteers and aren't part of WI officially.
    I'm just a volunteer so I don't really know much more than a non-moderator and I believe the same is true for Aldaron, Krakizbad, WyldeRhide, and Troy_Costisick. I don't believe any of them have posted here since July, some even longer. Troy was kind of the go-to volunteer for a while in part because he took the steam option and so was able to play the game through early access and since launch. He's probably got the most inside information of all the volunteers. I'm firmly DRM-free camp so I haven't touched the game since playing around with the Alpha battle board when they were offering that as a direct download instead of via Steam. So in many ways a non-backer who bought the game on steam knows more about it now than I do despite me being a moderator.

As I understand it:
    Aaron is the actual (lead?) developer and is by far the most active in these forums. I'm not sure he's WI technically as he used to have his own company but maybe they hired him on since then.
    Doomtrader is WI who is at least the publisher, again I'm not sure if they've hired on Aaron or if WI is the publisher while Aaron's company is the developer. He rarely pops in here.

I don't know if they come into General Discussion specifically but...
    Wojciech is the concept artist, he originally worked on Master of Magic as well. I don't know if WI hired him on or just contracted him for the game or what.
    Marcin3D is the 3D artist again I'm not sure if WI hired him or just contracted him for the game.
    Both of them primarily post in the design forums though and neither of them have posted since July either.

From comments it sounds like WI has hired on additional developers at this point which I assume come in under Aaron as lead but I'm not sure. Also none of them show up here that I'm aware of (but again it's not like they'd send me a notice if they did.)

Edit: Looking through the Tech Support forum (something I don't usually do since I have no access to the game) it seems that Beo is an actual developer as well. I assume under Aaron as lead but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Asmodai; 09-21-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I'm just a volunteer so I don't really know much more than a non-moderator and I believe the same is true for Aldaron, Krakizbad, WyldeRhide, and Troy_Costisick. I don't believe any of them have posted here since July, some even longer. Troy was kind of the go-to volunteer for a while in part because he took the steam option and so was able to play the game through early access and since launch. He's probably got the most inside information of all the volunteers. I'm firmly DRM-free camp so I haven't touched the game since playing around with the Alpha battle board when they were offering that as a direct download instead of via Steam. So in many ways a non-backer who bought the game on steam knows more about it now than I do despite me being a moderator.

As I understand it:
    Aaron is the actual (lead?) developer and is by far the most active in these forums. I'm not sure he's WI technically as he used to have his own company but maybe they hired him on since then.
    Doomtrader is WI who is at least the publisher, again I'm not sure if they've hired on Aaron or if WI is the publisher while Aaron's company is the developer. He rarely pops in here.

I don't know if they come into General Discussion specifically but...
    Wojciech is the concept artist, he originally worked on Master of Magic as well. I don't know if WI hired him on or just contracted him for the game or what.
    Marcin3D is the 3D artist again I'm not sure if WI hired him or just contracted him for the game.
    Both of them primarily post in the design forums though and neither of them have posted since July either.

From comments it sounds like WI has hired on additional developers at this point which I assume come in under Aaron as lead but I'm not sure. Also none of them show up here that I'm aware of (but again it's not like they'd send me a notice if they did.)

Edit: Looking through the Tech Support forum (something I don't usually do since I have no access to the game) it seems that Beo is an actual developer as well. I assume under Aaron as lead but I'm not sure.

Thanks for sharing what you do know.

Beo did reply to one of two of my bug report, but that was a while ago. Now it's pretty much dead.

What I find funny is that over 1 week after the game has been pulled from GOG, there is still no official statement? Have they updated the kickstarter, a sticky somewhere on the forums? Seems odd for something like this to happen so 'close' to release, and no official word in all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    What I find funny is that over 1 week after the game has been pulled from GOG, there is still no official statement? Have they updated the kickstarter, a sticky somewhere on the forums? Seems odd for something like this to happen so 'close' to release, and no official word in all this time.
    With the HUGE disclaimer that I don't have any more info available to me than you do...
    My reading of the most recent Kickstarter post was that 1.2.5 was going to be the last minor patch release prior to the "Relaunch". It was supposed to be the GoG.com release but they found more bugs than they expected I guess and decided not to release it on gog.com (again). If they aren't going to make any more patch releases before the "Relaunch" though and the PC relaunch isn't until next year then my GUESS is that means there will be no gog.com release until the relaunch next year. If that is the case then it stands to reason that they'd pull the "coming soon" listing from gog.com.

I totally agree though that their communication is horrible. Also I can't check the Steam website right now because it's blocked at work but there is a 1.2.6 post already in the Tech Support forum here so if they have indeed launched a 1.2.6 build then that already conflicts with my understanding of the kickstarter message. As such perhaps I just misunderstood what they were saying in that message. (I gave my interpretation of it in another thread and asked for clarification/confirmation but didn't get any).

Acolyte
    I have to second MedievalNerd's comment - its funny that over a week after WOM was pulled from the GOG upcoming games list that we have not heard any explanation from Wastelands. I also am afraid that Asmodai is correct - there very well may not be a DRM free version until the "Re-launch" whenever that might be.

1. Wastelands, despite promoting WOM as a DRM free game during the Kickstarters, have by their actions shown that a DRM free version is at the bottom of their list below the Steam version, the tablet versions, and the console version.

2. Based on point 1. those of us who backed one or both Kickstarters because we wanted that DRM free version might well want to consider our money lost at this point.

3. Wastelands, despite all the "nice" words in their Kickstarter updates, does not appear to value those of us who invested in WOM or they would communicate the facts to us promptly when changes occur.

4. It might be well to remember this experience the next time Wastelands starts promoting a new game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast