Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WOM Gone from GOG Upcoming List?

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I'm still there, but we didn't see any feedback from WI since a long time, it does start to make me really worried.

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    Hello,
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me.
    Is there anyone at home?

Seriously, should we just forget about WOM and pretend it's dead? What gives?
    I'm still here, I try to check in about once a day or so during weekdays. Once again though I'm just a community moderator and not actually associated with Wastelands.
    As such I don't know anything official but there is activity on the facebook page, it's all related to the mobile version though (which has apparently been renamed Planar Conquest).
    Again my understanding, based on the last kickstarter update, is that the mobile version is going to get all the attention for the rest of the year and the start on next. Only once it launches are they going to come back and "relaunch" the Steam version (incorporating changes/fixes from the mobile version). Presumably we'll get the DRM-free version at the same time as the Steam relaunch or shortly thereafter (this part isn't clear because according to the kickstarter update we were supposed to get the DRM-free version before this shift in focus.) With that in mind I doubt we'll hear anything official in these forums until the mobile release next year.

Mage’s Assistant
    Ish, renaming the mobile version? That just makes this sound even more like a sunken ship. My thoughts was that they wanted to focus on mobile and try to generate some buzz with that release to re-invigorate the PC version. But for them to go for a different game title, gives the impression they are trying to distance themselves from WOM. (That and the dead silence that fell on the forums.)

So do I think they'll come back after the mobile version? Maybe, but that's one gargantuan 'maybe', more leaning towards unlikely.

I'm guessing that at this point, the sales and interest for WOM is too low to justify continuing support and funding. The amount of effort and money required to shift the game around versus the potential financial kickback is probably not in favor of finishing the project. Plus they already have a steam release, so if people try to sue/chase them for the non DRM version, I think they are hoping to say that they are offering a steam key instead, and this will be their scapegoat.

This sucks so bad, we were so close to getting a decent sequel to MOM. Now it's this broken piece of game that offers no challenge to even the brain dead.
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalNerd View Post
    I'm guessing that at this point, the sales and interest for WOM is too low to justify continuing support and funding. The amount of effort and money required to shift the game around versus the potential financial kickback is probably not in favor of finishing the project. Plus they already have a steam release, so if people try to sue/chase them for the non DRM version, I think they are hoping to say that they are offering a steam key instead, and this will be their scapegoat.
    Well they HAVE to release something to DRM-free backers, they can't just not finish the project. Either they have to release a DRM-free version or they have to refund the pledges of backers who didn't take the DRM Steam key offer. They can drag it out over time by saying they're still working on the DRM-free version (The Godus kickstarter is doing the same) but they can't just quit and walk away, they have a legal obligation to the backers. The worst thing that can happen is the company could just say they're financially unable to finish the game or offer refunds and file for bankruptcy, bankruptcy can void their legal obligation. I don't think that's going to happen because Wastelands isn't a single game company and while this project isn't doing well I don't think the whole company is going belly up (though I really have no idea of Wasteland's financials). The next worst thing they could do would be to say the Steam version IS the DRM-free one and give all backers a steam key. This means the game will actually have to function without steam running and such and be DRM free but they could say they just choose to distribute the DRM-free version via Steam. They haven't done that yet though and last I heard the Steam version wasn't DRM free and does require Steam to be up and running to function (I haven't verified this personally as I don't have the steam version to test.) Again though they'd have to tell us backers that and issue everyone keys which they haven't done, so far they keep saying the DRM free version is coming and will be distributed by GoG.com (eventually).

Call me crazy but I'm still hopeful we DRM-free backers will get SOMETHING next year. I'm confident they'll release the same version of the game on gog.com that they put out for the steam "relaunch". Now I'm not sure that game will be much better than what is on Steam today but they'll at least have given all the backers the same game in the end (even if it took YEARS for the DRM-free backers).

Mage’s Assistant
    So apparently things might not be so dire after all...

Just wish someone would come here and say it... /nudge nudge...
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW

Arcane Candidate
    i got bought steam version then it was pre-alpha to support somehow. was a years ago
    I am looking on this project already like 2-3 years. And i really hope thet developing will continue, game was too
    early to release ! Its total fail of great game.
    Currently i am playing big game 3 planes. max oponent skill. turn 120 - enemy asking me to join defence aliance and giving me spell of domination of course i got settled 1\20 part of map and want to continue.
    There no wizards screen so i dont know witch spell books have enemy, detect magic won't show currently casting enemy spells. Even mom feature (i think its not implemented) - if some1 starting to cast spell of mastery there was big animation or you could see if some1 cast it on wizards screen. Here we go only - next turn - you have been defeated, return to main screen.
    No rewards points or any game statistic...
    All right i reload and killed wizard i suspect on 1 turn. On the next he already casted spell of return and game finish moved 1 turn...
    I am dont speaking of bunch of bugs and glitches.
    Some unstopable moving, while split army in city, gui stacking, berserk spell bug, undispeleds spell effects if runing from battle and starting again.
    It's not release its still early beta.
    Can you please explain me 1 thing will this game will be done someday or its already dropped ?

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by maravan View Post
    i got bought steam version then it was pre-alpha to support somehow. was a years ago
    I am looking on this project already like 2-3 years. And i really hope thet developing will continue, game was too
    early to release ! Its total fail of great game.
    Currently i am playing big game 3 planes. max oponent skill. turn 120 - enemy asking me to join defence aliance and giving me spell of domination of course i got settled 1\20 part of map and want to continue.
    There no wizards screen so i dont know witch spell books have enemy, detect magic won't show currently casting enemy spells. Even mom feature (i think its not implemented) - if some1 starting to cast spell of mastery there was big animation or you could see if some1 cast it on wizards screen. Here we go only - next turn - you have been defeated, return to main screen.
    No rewards points or any game statistic...
    All right i reload and killed wizard i suspect on 1 turn. On the next he already casted spell of return and game finish moved 1 turn...
    I am dont speaking of bunch of bugs and glitches.
    Some unstopable moving, while split army in city, gui stacking, berserk spell bug, undispeleds spell effects if runing from battle and starting again.
    It's not release its still early beta.
    Can you please explain me 1 thing will this game will be done someday or its already dropped ?
    The AI is definitely not up to par in it's current state. From what I understand it's not abandoned, just shelved for a short time? They are working on the mobile and console versions.

The game is pretty solid, a few UI/UX tweaks, and tons of AI revamp and we'll have a really interesting gem on our hands. The finishing line isn't even that far, it's just maddening it's taking so long.

Apprentice
    It looks like Fallen Enchantress and Sorcerer King will probably arrive on GOG before Worlds of Magic. Now that's funny.

I never liked Stardock much, actually, but after Wastelands making original backers literally their absolute bottom priority, Stardock looks like a plush velvet teddy bear.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentalepsy View Post
    It looks like Fallen Enchantress and Sorcerer King will probably arrive on GOG before Worlds of Magic. Now that's funny.

I never liked Stardock much, actually, but after Wastelands making original backers literally their absolute bottom priority, Stardock looks like a plush velvet teddy bear.
    Interesting that you mentioned Stardock, if I remember right they are the one who told us that even the DLC with the worst sale numbers did better then any mobile games they sold.
    Added in the info from other sides that only very few mobil games have good sale numbers and many mobile gamers are actual core gamers on other platforms let me think the idea to do a mobil port while having bad critics on the PC game is a real bad move.
    Last edited by Adauli; 11-24-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentalepsy View Post
    It looks like Fallen Enchantress and Sorcerer King will probably arrive on GOG before Worlds of Magic. Now that's funny. I never liked Stardock much, actually, but after Wastelands making original backers literally their absolute bottom priority, Stardock looks like a plush velvet teddy bear.
    Without linux support they are in same level of usefulness as WoM is now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast