Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is my game?

Hybrid View

Acolyte

Angry Where is my game?

I backed and purchased a non-steam, digital download of Worlds of Magic on Kickstarter, (backer number 739).
    I have still not received any correspondence on this, OR THE GAME.

I have been a purchaser odf W.I. games, and graphics modder for Time of Fury, (was sent a W.I. t-shirt for my effort, thanks again Doom).

So please someone reply here that can resolve this.
    And check back in on Kickstarter, as there are others there in a similar situation.
    Thank you.
    (Agent Smith -@matrix games)

Apprentice
    Unfortunately, there is no DRM-free version, and WI is not currently working on one. They're porting the game to mobile and consoles first. I think we are supposed to be excited about that.

There are a few other threads in General Discussion about it, if you're interested, but WI doesn't say much.
    Last edited by Mentalepsy; 12-16-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Acolyte
    Thanks for the reply, but isn't this their official website?
    I will check the threads....

Quote Originally Posted by Agent S View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but isn't this their official website?
    I will check the threads....
    Yes this is the official website but no one official has posted here in months.

The latest official news I believe is the latest kickstarter update which talks about the mobile and console versions as Mentalepsy stated. According to that though they were supposed to release a DRM-free version on GOG.com just before switching focus to mobile and console and then come back for the "relaunch" next year. That didn't happen though and according to the game comments on Steam (again, no info was posted here) that was because GOG.com rejected the game in it's present state. Presumably the intent now is to launch the game on GoG.com after it's been fixed up more for the "relaunch" next year but that's AFTER the mobile and console versions (as it incorporates fixes created during the development of them).

If you're willing to accept a Steam version I believe they will be happy to give you a Steam key but then you are no longer eligible for the DRM-free version if/when it is ever released. At this point I'm pretty sure that's what they'd prefer everyone would do but I for one have no interest in a steam key. It's up to you if you do or not.

Also for the record I'm just a community volunteer so don't let the moderator tag fool you. I don't have any inside info beyond what anyone else can get. I'm just another person waiting for the DRM-free version I paid for. I just happen to have the ability to lock, unlock, sticky, unsticky, and delete posts largely because I was active here BEFORE the kickstarter even launched when this place was actually active.

I've been playing PC games, well...since there were commercial PCs, but I missed lots of things along the way...like Facebook, or these cell-phones that everyone's clicking away with, so I may have missed the point on why folks want the DRM-free version of this or other software.

What's the advantage of getting the game without DRM?

Thanks,

-Morloc

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Morloc View Post
    What's the advantage of getting the game without DRM?
    There are multiple ones - ideological/ethical ones, and practical ones.

Ethically DRM grants the publisher complete control over your game - they know when you play it, from which IP address, which OS, which hardware, they can kill the game as they please, they can run any software they want on your computer. That's not a power I want to grant to anyone.

Pratically, with DRM, you can't be sure to be able to run your game in 10 or 20 years. My complete collection of games from GOG in stored in a RAID array, even if GOG goes bankrupt tomorrow, I know that in 20 years I'll be able to play the games again. You've no such warranty with DRM-loaded games.

And then, there are many situations in which DRM actually cripples you - a few months ago, I only had a 1Mbp/s bandwidth, downloading games was very difficult for me - so I would download them at work, put them on USB stick, and run them home, or I would run wget (or lgogdownloader) through SSH on my home server/router at nights, but that's not something I could do with a Steam-like system. Many other people have different workarounds and solutions for their own specific needs, and being able to download games using a standard (ie, HTTP) protocol, and copy them by just copying files enables you to do it. Closed protocols and software limit your ability to find creative solutions for your actual situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    Ethically DRM grants the publisher complete control over your game - they know when you play it, from which IP address, which OS, which hardware,
    true

they can kill the game as they please,
    Not entirely true.
    They can fail to identify your game as legal (if it is a copy or whatever), and thus cause it to no longer work.
    But they cannot kill the application remotely.

they can run any software they want on your computer.
    Entirely false, unless you suspect them of infiltrating you with a worm.

Pratically, with DRM, you can't be sure to be able to run your game in 10 or 20 years. My complete collection of games from GOG in stored in a RAID array, even if GOG goes bankrupt tomorrow, I know that in 20 years I'll be able to play the games again. You've no such warranty with DRM-loaded games.
    true

And then, there are many situations in which DRM actually cripples you - a few months ago, I only had a 1Mbp/s bandwidth, downloading games was very difficult for me - so I would download them at work, put them on USB stick, and run them home, or I would run wget (or lgogdownloader) through SSH on my home server/router at nights, but that's not something I could do with a Steam-like system.
    You confuse downloading games from Steam and similar with verifying them via DRM
    DRM uses very little traffic

What is a real problem is that sometimes you have no internet connection and still want to play.

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by lescha View Post
    Not entirely true.
    They can fail to identify your game as legal (if it is a copy or whatever), and thus cause it to no longer work.
    But they cannot kill the application remotely.
    It depends entirely on how DRM system works. It could be not true with some of them and true for others. Nothing could prevent DRM from running all the way in background and killing application on command.

Entirely false, unless you suspect them of infiltrating you with a worm.
    DRM differ from a worm in one thing - you are usually aware that you are running DRM and have to press some button agreeing with that. With administrative privileges and closed code you can't say what exactly DRM will do. We can only trust it does exactly what we are said.

You confuse downloading games from Steam and similar with verifying them via DRM
    DRM uses very little traffic

What is a real problem is that sometimes you have no internet connection and still want to play.
    He means that specific protocols are used for downloading games, not only to check them after download. As example with steam you should install the application before downloading while with GoG you only need a browser.

P.S. BTW I did not recieved any answer from any of 3 e-mails for two weeks already if not counting holidays. Did not tried facebook yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Allian View Post
    P.S. BTW I did not recieved any answer from any of 3 e-mails for two weeks already if not counting holidays. Did not tried facebook yet.
    Maybe you could look into that?
    I must be one of the very few people on Planet Earth still free of the FB account, so...

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Allian View Post
    DRM differ from a worm in one thing - you are usually aware that you are running DRM and have to press some button agreeing with that. With administrative privileges and closed code you can't say what exactly DRM will do. We can only trust it does exactly what we are said.
    Hold on, hold on.
    Doesn't DRM simply mean getting a query and sending a reply every certain period of time, doesn't it? Verification stuff.

Thanks for those answers. Also, sorry for any derail.

-Morloc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast