Thread: [B0004] - NOT A BUG - Dark Elves - Extremely Low Growth Rate

Mage’s Assistant

[B0004] - NOT A BUG - Dark Elves - Extremely Low Growth Rate

Howdy there,

Can someone confirm whether these numbers are intended, as they seem quite low.

A New city with Dark Elves has a meager +30 population per turn. Which is strangely the same as the Capital in early turns. It's hard to say if perhaps, once fixed, the housing bonus will be substantial. But at +30 Population per turn that would mean that a new city will take 33/34 turns before getting 2 units of population...

That's a little slow, has this been play tested internally? Does this make sense?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Wojciech; 05-07-2016 at 12:24 AM.
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW

Dark Elves have the slowest population growth of all Races, with Draconians being a possible tie.
    That said, pop growth also depends on the maximum population for the town.
    I just started two Darkelf testgames - I'm on iOS btw, with those results:
    - max pop 18 = pop growth +60
    - max pop 25 = pop growth +90

What's the max pop for your new town?

Dark Elves indeed have a very low population growth. They have a -30 growth penalty. This is intended as a counterweight to their population Power income and quite powerful troops.

Base population growth comes from the difference between the city's current population and its maximum population (based on the terrain, you can check it out using the surveyor). The formula is (Max size - Current size) * 5.

So, if a newly settled dark elven town only has +30 growth, it means that your new city has only 12 or 13 maximum population. Elves really need good terrain.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    Dark Elves indeed have a very low population growth. They have a -30 growth penalty. This is intended as a counterweight to their population Power income and quite powerful troops.

Base population growth comes from the difference between the city's current population and its maximum population (based on the terrain, you can check it out using the surveyor). The formula is (Max size - Current size) * 5.

So, if a newly settled dark elven town only has +30 growth, it means that your new city has only 12 or 13 maximum population. Elves really need good terrain.

Thanks for the indepth explanation.

Could you go over the math behind the housing building option?

Thank you!
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW