Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things I Can't Do & Can't Find in the Manual:

Arcane Candidate

Question Things I Can't Do & Can't Find in the Manual:

1. Outside of battle, how do I tell which spells my magic-using heroes and troops know?

2. When a hero reaches a new level that unlocks a new skill or spell, how to I view his whole info panel and not just the stat increases listed above the skills? See also #1: how do I see the already-known spells here?

3. When a magic-using hero reaches a new level that unlocks a new spell, how do I see the full stats on that spell like if reading it in the spellbook? I would not have chosen a hero to learn Call Lightning, for instance, had I known it also strikes friendly units.

4. When looking at a summon spell in the spellbook, both on the Cast and the Research pages, and both on the overworld map and in combat, how do I see the creature's stats and combat abilities? Otherwise I just see its name and costs, but not at all how effective it will be, like its AC, movement points, type of attack, etc. Don't make me play along with a wiki or other materials.

5. How do I equip two different rings onto one hero? Selecting a second ring to equip replaces the first with it.

6. One hero is dual wielding. How do I get him to equip two weapon? Using the little arrows always seems to select the ring instead of the slot currently filled with a shield.

7. Similarly, how do I get melee-class heroes to hold a new shield? I have Klickwick and Justicar. Klickwich seems to want to hold both mirror and large shields instead of a weapon, while Justicar already has a +2 large shield but attempting to give him a +5 large shield puts that one in his weapon hand too, so he's holding two shields! Do the three different shield sizes perform differently at all?

8. So wizards have a slot for a shield but they can't put anything in them? (Why not grey or red out the slot?)

9. How do I select multiple engineers simultaneously so the road is built quicker? I have to individually select each engineer in a stack and individually designate them to build in order to see the timer decrease. Is doing so necessary or will other engineers pitch in automatically if I only tell the first one to build?

10. Once I press Build on a building in a city and it appears in the build queue, how I do see the name and flavor text for that building? When I review the town again several turns later, I forgot what it was I queued and can't remember the details from seeing the icon in the build queue.

11. When I see an army that doesn't belong to me, and I tap on it, the unit cards appear, but how do I see the unit information (melee, hp, etc.) without getting an army of mine close enough for battle?

12. On the mirror screen, sometimes I have forgotten which spell circles I found in various dungeons. Holding my finger down on them doesn't seem to work. How do I find the names of the listed spell circles without resorting to the manual? Must I try to compare the symbols in the Mirror to those on the spellbook tabs?

13. On the global enchantments screen, it says under target "friendly city" and other similarly broad categories. How do I identify which copy among many cast is enchanting a particular city or unit so I can disable it alone without having to click through item by item in the game world? Couldn't it say under the target column the particular city, hero, or unit name? There is a "zoom to" button for each army on the armies window but not a zoom to button for each applicable target here?

14. How do I disable a particular unit enchantment? Both tapping and long pressing the enchantment name on the unit card doesn't seem to work. So I can't disable unit enchantments and they remain until the unit is killed or dismissed?

15. On my second game (1x-speed), around turn 500 or 600, the tiles on the normal plane began to corrupt first slowly and then after I had gotten little groups of clerics in the habit of cleansing around each city, the tiles began corrupting instantaneously? Am I doing something wrong?

16. Is there any way to see an overlay of what the surveyor shows without tapping square by square? I would really like to be able to, for instance, highlight or color code all the tiles that may support a population of 20+ so I can shrink my search space for a location for a new town. Something as simple as what was done in Railroad Tycoon 1 (1993) would be fantastic: one hot key turned on the elevation overlay which posted that number on every grid square on the map, allowing you to immediately see where the flattest routes would be.
    Last edited by Keithustus; 04-29-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Hi Keithustus! I'm gonna look for someone who can answer your questions properly but you'll probably need to wait a little longer since it's holidays in Poland untill the 4th of May

Arcane Candidate
    Thanks, I appreciate it. These sorts of issues may make sense once you've played the game for dozens of hours but they really strain users to find them since they're not in the manual, tutorial, or tooltips.

Through too many minutes of trial and error I was able to figure out the hero-inventory issues, Questions 5 through 8. So for those I have this feedback rather than a request for help:

Inventory management for heroes as implemented is awful. I am playing on an iPad. iPads are designed for drag and drop. The current system by which you tap a slot, then tap an item, then have to tap blue arrows to select alternate slots, and hope that when you tap the equip button on new equipment, is abysmal UI. Not only is it counterintuitive from other iOS experiences, it doesn't even work well for rings, weapons, and shields:

- adding/removing/replacing the second slot's rings is far more finicky than the first slot's rings
    - trying to place certain weapons and shields into certain hands is as frustrating

These functions shouldn't take the 2-5 minutes they currently do. Diablo 1 from the 1990s had a perfect drag-and drop inventory system so it's the height of worry that Planar Conquest uses a '80s/early-'90s dungeon crawler system instead.

- - - - -

Case in point, because of the UI, consider how long it takes a new user to discover....

Are wands two handed? Why? Am I living in an alternate world where most fantasy fiction wands require just one hand?

I spent a huge amount of time trying to get Draylik to hold a wand and a shield before finally seeing somewhere that they normally work like they're two handed. Testing Draylik:
    - he can hold a shield and a melee weapon
    - he can hold two shields
    - he CAN'T hold a wand and a shield
    - he CAN hold a wand and a melee weapon -- shouldn't be possible?

I know you guys don't want wizards to hold shields. But Druids and Clerics shouldn't be prevented from holding a wand and a shield because of that.

- - - - -

I would like to reinforce some other concerns I've seen discussed on the TouchArcade thread. But first, I have two other questions:

17. Defending a city with city walls or palisade, how do you open the gate to let your melee troops out? I see the AI do it but I can't seem to tap or hold on anything to open it or to direct my defenders to go through.

18. Is this a bug? When Dran (Wizard) reached level 10, no spell or ability was offered. All my other heroes were getting them at even-numbered levels. He got his next one at 11. Isnt that supposed to happen at the same set of levels for all heroes?

- - - - -

Now for some material previously mentioned on Touch Arcade that I think really needs to be looked at:

A. Implement inertial scrolling!

Scrolling the unit and building lists in cities and the spell lists in the spell book is infuriorating because the lists move far more slowly than the distance covered by my finger. If I move my finger slowly, the list should move at that speed. If I move it quickly, it should move at least at that speed. If I flick my finger, the list should continue to scroll and eventually slow to a stop, just like it does in every popular app on iOS. If you can't implement that, at least increase the scrolling speed quite a bit.

B. City names and zoom-to.

With more than a few cities, remembering where a particular city is when you receive an event or need to find it on the map is manipulate units outside is is annoying. Yes, you can visit the city details through the city menu, but when you exit those interfaces, you're still looking on the map where you were before. Every city's management page should, like the army screen has, have a zoom-to button. This problem would be less pronounced if the city names were present on the map by default like they are in every other 4X of the last many years. I can't decide if seeing the names when you toggle the resource labels is a good solution or just an adequate one. It would also be somewhat solved if we could name our cities, because if I name a city after my wife or friend I'll far more easily remember whether it's the one in the forest, the one by the ocean, etc.

C. Multi-unit figures.

Seeing only one figure instead of up to four not only is disappointing visually and doesn't follow MoM standards, it has real gameplay implications as well. For instance, if I damage a 4-figure unit so it shows it is at about 40% life, does that mean I've killed two figures and it will have half the attack power, or does it mean all four figures will be about half dead, and so the unit will attack with full force?

D. "Endless marching sounds"

I have this. From what I've seen from only playing two games, it looks like it only happens in late game (turn 400+ or 500+). I play on iPad Air 2, iOS 8.3, not jailbroken.

E. Hero spellbook copies to infinity.

For all of the spellcasting heroes I have used, once you give them a new spell at level up, that spell is repeated either a few times or infinitely in their spellbook.

F. Alchemists' Guild text.

"makes use of any resources the city has access to" is very confusing. Aren't those deer and gold mines already being used by my city? The text should instead be something like "allows use of resources that apply bonuses to units" or explicitly list the four or so resources that require the building before used.

G. Magic Spirits & Chests

They should skip XP chests but highly target Lost Tribes. Great idea from TA forums: "I actually want different colored chests more (material in chest is a different color). I'm thinking gold chest - gold color, mana chest - light blue color, XP chest - purple color.

- - - - -

Great work, otherwise. I can't believe after 20+ years we have a great Master of Magic again.
    Last edited by Keithustus; 05-03-2016 at 01:00 AM.

Mage’s Assistant
    Hi Keithustus,

If any of this is deemed a bug make sure to go and post them in the bug report section!

Cheers,
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW

Quote Originally Posted by Keithustus View Post
    1. Outside of battle, how do I tell which spells my magic-using heroes and troops know?

2. When a hero reaches a new level that unlocks a new skill or spell, how to I view his whole info panel and not just the stat increases listed above the skills? See also #1: how do I see the already-known spells here?

3. When a magic-using hero reaches a new level that unlocks a new spell, how do I see the full stats on that spell like if reading it in the spellbook? I would not have chosen a hero to learn Call Lightning, for instance, had I known it also strikes friendly units.

4. When looking at a summon spell in the spellbook, both on the Cast and the Research pages, and both on the overworld map and in combat, how do I see the creature's stats and combat abilities? Otherwise I just see its name and costs, but not at all how effective it will be, like its AC, movement points, type of attack, etc. Don't make me play along with a wiki or other materials.
    These are good points, and we'll take them under consideration when trying to improve our GUI.

5. How do I equip two different rings onto one hero? Selecting a second ring to equip replaces the first with it.

6. One hero is dual wielding. How do I get him to equip two weapon? Using the little arrows always seems to select the ring instead of the slot currently filled with a shield.

7. Similarly, how do I get melee-class heroes to hold a new shield? I have Klickwick and Justicar. Klickwich seems to want to hold both mirror and large shields instead of a weapon, while Justicar already has a +2 large shield but attempting to give him a +5 large shield puts that one in his weapon hand too, so he's holding two shields! Do the three different shield sizes perform differently at all?
    Use the bright blue arrows on the sides of the equipped item panel to change the currently used hand. Works with both rings and dual-wielding/shields.

8. So wizards have a slot for a shield but they can't put anything in them? (Why not grey or red out the slot?)
    they can't wield shields, but theoretically they can use two-handed weapons (staves) or dual wield.

9. How do I select multiple engineers simultaneously so the road is built quicker? I have to individually select each engineer in a stack and individually designate them to build in order to see the timer decrease. Is doing so necessary or will other engineers pitch in automatically if I only tell the first one to build?
    yeah, unfortunately it's necessary.

10. Once I press Build on a building in a city and it appears in the build queue, how I do see the name and flavor text for that building? When I review the town again several turns later, I forgot what it was I queued and can't remember the details from seeing the icon in the build queue.
    nice catch!

11. When I see an army that doesn't belong to me, and I tap on it, the unit cards appear, but how do I see the unit information (melee, hp, etc.) without getting an army of mine close enough for battle?
    it's a mystery!

12. On the mirror screen, sometimes I have forgotten which spell circles I found in various dungeons. Holding my finger down on them doesn't seem to work. How do I find the names of the listed spell circles without resorting to the manual? Must I try to compare the symbols in the Mirror to those on the spellbook tabs?
    we'll try to add to add tooltips here (it won't be a problem in the PC version).

14. How do I disable a particular unit enchantment? Both tapping and long pressing the enchantment name on the unit card doesn't seem to work. So I can't disable unit enchantments and they remain until the unit is killed or dismissed?
    You can disable them from the enchantments tab too. We'll try to add a possibility to remove them from the unit panel too.

15. On my second game (1x-speed), around turn 500 or 600, the tiles on the normal plane began to corrupt first slowly and then after I had gotten little groups of clerics in the habit of cleansing around each city, the tiles began corrupting instantaneously? Am I doing something wrong?
    Was there any enchantment cast on that plane?

16. Is there any way to see an overlay of what the surveyor shows without tapping square by square? I would really like to be able to, for instance, highlight or color code all the tiles that may support a population of 20+ so I can shrink my search space for a location for a new town. Something as simple as what was done in Railroad Tycoon 1 (1993) would be fantastic: one hot key turned on the elevation overlay which posted that number on every grid square on the map, allowing you to immediately see where the flattest routes would be.
    Unfortunately, this isn't possible right now.

Seeing only one figure instead of up to four not only is disappointing visually and doesn't follow MoM standards, it has real gameplay implications as well. For instance, if I damage a 4-figure unit so it shows it is at about 40% life, does that mean I've killed two figures and it will have half the attack power, or does it mean all four figures will be about half dead, and so the unit will attack with full force?
    the reason for single figure display is simply the lack of power on mobiles. PC/Console Planar Conquest will feature multi-figure units normally.

Arcane Candidate
    19A. The AI is proposing a trade: some gold and an item for a spell of mine. How do I examine the item to decide if the trade is fair? The item is "sword of doom" or similar. How do I tell if it means a +1 weapon or maybe something more exotic?

19B. Likewise if they propose a trade of one spell for another, how do I look at the spells' stats? Most people don't have the entire game's spellbook memorized and are offended we'd have to look this stuff up online somewhere.
    Last edited by Keithustus; 05-09-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: mistakenly wrote "good" instead of "gold"

Quote Originally Posted by Keithustus View Post
    19A. The AI is proposing a trade: some good and an item for a spell of mine. How do I examine the item to decide if the trade is fair? The item is "sword of doom" or similar. How do I tell if it means a +1 weapon or maybe something more exotic?

19B. Likewise if they propose a trade of one spell for another, how do I look at the spells' stats? Most people don't have the entire game's spellbook memorized and are offended we'd have to look this stuff up online somewhere.
    Great point. We should be able to long press or right click on that to pull up the info card on whatever it is.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

That's a valid point. We'll surely include that in future mobile builds and PC version.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech View Post
    That's a valid point. We'll surely include that in future mobile builds and PC version.
    That was probably one of my most favorite features of Master Of Magic. You could right click on almost anything and it would bring up an information planel on that 'thing'. (Building, spells, units, etc.)
    If you like hardware, games, design and discuss anything video game related. Please come join me on my facebook page. I also showcase my existing, and upcoming Computer Build Logs! https://goo.gl/V2JEJW

Arcane Candidate
    Any response to my question 18 about city walls? Very annoying not being able to send my defenders through them.

Also I would appreciate a complete answer to C. multi-figure units: are they killed simultaneously or sequentially? The answer should have battle-stat repercussions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast