Thread: exploring sea wrecks and garrisoning troops

Apprentice

exploring sea wrecks and garrisoning troops

Hi. As a fan of Master of magic and other similar games I am enjoying this game. I just got it a day or two ago and am still getting used to all the intricacies of it. That said I have two questions.

First, how do you go about exploring the multitude of sea wrecks in the game. I dont have any flying units yet so I haven't tried that. However, I have embarked my army from land into a boat and sailed to several wrecks. When I interact with them, I am given 3 options. Autofight, fight, or flee. Sadly, while i have the option to autofight, the "fight" option is greyed out and i am unable to select it. Is there some other method of performing the manual fight that I am not doing correctly?

Second, in games like this, I typically like to build some additional troops that remain in the city to help bolster the garrison in order to help protect it from wandering troops and other lords. In other games, you can tell those units to garrison and remain and then they are removed from the "action" que unless you un-garrison them. Is there a way to do this with these troops in this game. Right now, I have to manually tell the game to skip these troops each and every turn. I have tried the other options as well, like to heal or fortify, however, every turn I am forced to tell the game again (usually several times per troop) to ignore these troops before I can move on. Am I handling this incorrectly? Is this something that will be fixed in the future?

Also, I would like to second a previous poster that had a qustion about engineers. I will be trying the individually selecting and ordering them now, but it would be nice if you have a stack of these if there was a way to tell the whole stack to build together all at once.

Thanks, and I am looking forward to experiencing more of this game and will probably be back with more questions and suggestions in the future.

Apprentice
    Well, I don't know about the wrecks, but I'll try out later with some flying units and report back.

As for how to garrison troops, it should be the fortify button you mentioned.
    For me, once I select fortify any unit is removed form the "ACTIVE" que. Normally you have to move all units to be able to end your turn. If you don't want to move an unit you can tell it to:
    - skip the turn (in that case the game will complian next turn again (on the below righthand corner) that you still have units that did not move and will select the unit for you to give new orders).
    - wait until healed (in this case the game will only complain that you sill have not moved an / the unit again after the unit is fully healed (which may take 1 turn or a few turns).
    - fortify! This should be the option you are looking for. (Once this opption is selected the game should never again complain at the end of your turn that you still have to move this unit.)
    The game should - after you moved all other units that are not fortified, healing etc. and have no idle cities - simply let you end your turn without complaining or mentioning said unit(s).

YET, you are still able to "cklick through" all units - including the fortified ones - with the arrows on the left bottom of the display. You just don't have to give the said units an order and simply ignore them while "clicking trough".

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

UPDATE on sea battles
    Once all your units in the concerned army have waterwalking or flight you are able to fight the enamies on wrecks normally. (Or rather if all your units are able to fly, the enemies there won't hold a candle to you as almost None seem to have ranged ATT.)

Apprentice
    Ok, first I probably should have mentioned I am playing this on the PC.

Second, thanks. I have tried a flying unit (a scout) and was able to get the fight option for sea wrecks. Even though, I am still a bit confused why I am able to do an automatic fight but not a full fight when I don't have all flying / water walking units. Also, it doesn't make sense to me that I can sail up to a wreck in a boat but not for instance do ship to ship combat.

As for the fortify, it still forces me to look at every unit every round even when using fortify. I would agree with you and think that marking a unit fortify would remove it from being looked at until I take that off. However, I found a work around. In the options menu you can uncheck "unit notify" at which point it completely ignores all units when you hit the end turn button. While NOT a good solution, it is a solution that has at least for now removed that headache.

One additional question though has arisen. I just liberated a ruin. Said ruin is essentially right next to one of my cities (the hex outside its influence). It just so happens that if I were to raze my city and rebuild on the ruin I would be better off resource wise and my city is not that big as doing so would be an issue (it was an independent city I captured and I didn't realize that ruins work they way they do or I might have just razed it when I captured it). However, I am unable to find any way in the game where I could raze said city now that I own it. Is there a way to do this? and if not, why not? and will it be added? Because lets face it, being able to raze/move cities to a better spot is a feature that pretty much all games of this nature usually have.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tyrus; 06-04-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Apprentice
    New question... how do you build a siphon... I have an engineer but it doesnt show up as an option and none of the other units that I have seem to be able to either?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus View Post
    New question... how do you build a siphon... I have an engineer but it doesnt show up as an option and none of the other units that I have seem to be able to either?
    Siphons aren't built by engineers. They're built by certain units, most of which are spellcasting units. Clerics, Druids, Grey Mages, Spellswords, Elementalists, Skalds, Rune Casters, Runepriests, Arachnomancers, Weavers, that sort of troop*. Also Magic Spirits, which you can always summon since everyone starts the game knowing how to cast that spell, no matter what spell picks you took.

*Actually, one or two of those might only be "purify tile" troops. If I'm wrong about a couple of those, beg your pardon ^_^

Apprentice
    Cool thanks. Clerics and Druid don't I think, but the Magic Spirits do...so problem solved!

Any idea if its possible to change the name of a hero. I just got one named Keen Master... which is lame. :-(
    Last edited by Tyrus; 06-05-2016 at 02:10 AM.

You know, I specifically came to the forum to complain about the greyed out "fight" option in ship to ship combat, as I've run into the same thing and thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Hopefully there is an answer or a patch that addresses this.

Also can you take over another sorcerer lords siphon?? You can't interact with it to take it....?!?! How would you do it?

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

IF you are flying or walking on water, then you can fight. If it is transport ships, then it is only available as an autofight. Not sure why, except that units can't fight normally when in transit stuck together under decks in a ship!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus View Post
    Cool thanks. Clerics and Druid don't I think, but the Magic Spirits do...so problem solved!
    Any idea if its possible to change the name of a hero. I just got one named Keen Master... which is lame. :-(
    Actually, Druids I know for a fact can, since I'm early in a Grey Elf game and haven't gotten the chance to make more advanced units - I only have Druids and one Rune Caster(from an Inn) :P And since Clerics are the only magic-using troops for High Men, I betcha they can build siphons, too. They could in WoM, at least. Make sure that you're standing on a captured node, and the "build siphon" button should color in.
    I don't believe you can change hero names, sadly. Well...you CAN. But you would need to edit the XML for that, and I have no idea what all that would break. Maybe in a week or two I'll have played enough to go breaking things, but not quite yet

Quote Originally Posted by Stahl33 View Post
    Also can you take over another sorcerer lords siphon?? You can't interact with it to take it....?!?! How would you do it?
    Move one of your own siphon-building units onto the siphon and start building a new siphon. When you're done, you'll take control of the node. I think that's the only way - only way I know about, at least ^_^

Thanks for that... I didn't know you could re-tap a siphon, and I have been playing for some time.

Yes I think that what would be good if the units that can perform certain abilities like road building or siphon tapping, that their little icons should be circled with a dotted line or colour or something to say that they potentially can do this job.

It would be a great addition to make it easier for us quickly to identify those units that can perform this action.