Thread: Lost Army: Game lacks polish

Lost Army: Game lacks polish

So I had a full army, 4 heroes I was leveling up (two of them even undead!) a titan, then a few dark lancers, death knights, and casters. Then I loaded a save game from one of my auto saves (bad auto-combat result) and my army was gone. No problem, loaded the Autosave(old) and my army is gone from THAT save too. So something about my army made it vanish from two auto saves.

On the input tab you can bind a key for "Jump." It doesn't matter how many times I press B to jump, my units will not jump. Default is space bar.

Did you know you can click and drag your loading bar? It doesn't make it load faster.

Why does the unhallowed start you with a Hecuva? It does negative energy damage. I don't want to heal enemy undead creatures.

Why can't you zoom in/out after you cast a spell? I have to store the spell, then find my town, then cast the spell out of storage so it doesn't awkwardly zoom me in and expect me to find my target zoomed in.

It's neat that the undead are harmed by positive energy and healed by negative energy. You know what I can't do? Cast negative energy spells on my undead. Or cast heal on enemy undead.

Armor has max dex bonuses, but I've yet to find a way to see the dex bonus on my heroes.

Also, without an actual class, weapons and armor are kind of a guessing game. A lot of the rules and tooltips are missing for 1-handed vs 2/handed, light/medium/heavy armor.

Why doesn't the death plane have any taverns to recruit heroes?

There really isn't a whole lot of content between "can't fight any of the structures" to "all the structures are easy." Once i get a line of death knights casting fireball it's kind of a cake-walk. I can see that getting nerfed sometime in the near future.

If I cast a spell with my naga the game thinks I've cast a spell out of my spell book.

The auto-switching in combat screws up my spell aiming. I've already clicked the next unit, click cast and have a target before the previous spell animation ends, then it switches me to something that can't even cast spells and breaks my "cast" button.

Sometimes, the "Cast" button doesn't show up. I have to close out my spell book and reopen it to get it back.

Why can I auto-fight ship to ship but I can't fight ship to ship?

Why can't you switch from left click action to right click action? You know, the Starcraft/Total Annihilation mouse interface? I want to be able to left click to select things and right click to do contextually appropriate things. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to select a unit and instead have now auto-pathed my army clean across the current dimension. I can appreciate that you need the "left click action" for tablets and touch screens, FAIR, but how hard is it to add an option to change it?

I want to bind "Tab" to my minimap.

There should be more randomization of battle music. The current music is ok, but it is monotonous.

It takes FOREVER to terraform the tiles around my cities changing 1 tile per turn.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Also, I should be able to save a game setup. Once I have all my planes the way I want them, I don't want to set them again for each and every game.

I should be able to save heroes.

I should be able to set the formation of my army and have it stay that way for every battle, or the formation should be tied to how my units are laid out in the army view. I shouldn't have to place units each and every battle.

I should be able to drag and drop army stacks in army view to change their order.

I maybe know a couple answers. If your questions were rhetorical, ignore this =)

Hecuvas can cast Dark Energies, iirc, so they are your healer unit as undead. Also, they can build siphons. It's a handy support unit to have, and if you get a node nearby with relatively weak guards, you should be able to clear it before you can build a hecuva of your own.

Hero stats used to be more visible, but you can always take your armor off for a moment. Whatever the difference between ten and your armorless AC is, that's your Dex bonus.

You shouldn't really have any point in the game where you can't fight any of the content. If you have a decent selection of spells, you should be able to pick away at the nearer, easier features to get a couple levels. A 2 plane, Medium sized world usually takes me about 40-50 turns to win with double movement, and there's no way to get through a world that quickly if you wait to build an army of higher-level troops. Of course, if you prefer to turtle up and build an unstoppable swarm, well, best to do as you prefer

The ship combats are still a work in progress. It's not a failure on your part; you need to either attack ships with exclusively flying units, or autocombat.

Terraforming tiles does take a good while, but tile purifiers/corruptors are usually relatively inexpensive so you can make a bunch. Also, there are spells which will purify or corrupt tiles without having to send a unit there, so that might help, also. Once you have converted the tiles with resource bonuses, you've done the important part, at least.

I like most of your suggestions. Here's hoping. ^_^

Nah, not rhetorical. Just a core dump of tiny little annoying things. I'll check out the Hecuvas, thank you for that. (I don't even know what "create siphon" is.)

I'm playing a medium world with all the planes. I ended up making a small world with all the planes. I kind of feel like all the planes should be there at some point, which is probably not what the devs intended. 300 turns in and I never made it off the death plane.

I'm going to break out all the non-rhetorical gripes into individual threads. Hopefully they don't get mad and think I'm spamming them. (or...get mad and think I'm dumping on them with this one, lol).

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

I was so excited...but "build siphon" is greyed out entirely.

Also, none of my units seem to be able to build a road.

None of my units seems to have the "build siphon" or "build road" ability. Of course, none of my units have the "found city" ability either so...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercestes View Post
    None of my units seems to have the "build siphon" or "build road" ability. Of course, none of my units have the "found city" ability either so...
    Ah. Well, lemme try to explain how it ought to work. If you didn't read the game manual, the UI might not be clear.

Siphons can only be built on nodes that you have cleared of guardians. So let's say that near your starting city on Death, you see a prime node luckily guarded by some spearmen, crossbowmen, and pikemen (lucky because that's all piercing damage and you can cast Bone Aura for cheap and make that fight a cakewalk). You fight them, win, and get your loot. Then, finally, you can move a unit with Build Siphon (like, iirc, Hecuvas) onto the node. If there are more units in the army with the Hecuva, make sure that only the Hecuva is selected. Then you can click build siphon, and over the course of a few turns, it will build the siphon and you'll get power from the node.

Found city is an ability that only your settlers have (I suddenly forget what they're called, but they should be the topmost unit in your unit training list in your capital city). You have to be at least 5 tiles away from any other city to be able to build. Since you can only have so many cities before you start to take bad efficiency penalties, you should try to only found cities in places where you get a bunch of resources.

Build road is utterly worthless, as roads are utterly worthless. You won't be running back and forth on difficult territory very often with just random units, and your armies will end up, fairly quickly, being either high movement units, floating units, flying units, or led by a Pathfinder.
    EDIT: typos, of course

I kind of feel like all the planes should be there at some point, which is probably not what the devs intended.
    That's how I played WoM - 7 plane, Colossal. Games took about 200 turns with fast movement checked (I can't stand slow overland movement, personally, and am very glad they gave the option to double the overland speed). If you really want to settle in and get huge armies of powerful units and maxed out champions and titans, you need that space to explore and capture stuff. Good fun =) I'm not sure how it'll go with the aggressive city limits in the game, now. Maybe it's important to place cities at distant intervals; you can only put four cities per plane with seven planes. At maximum map size, that's very sparse, indeed.
    Last edited by OneFiercePuppy; 06-05-2016 at 07:29 PM.

So, I have found the "build city" with the Heretics. They just don't have an "ability" listed as "build city." I just know they can do it.

None of my units seem to be able to build a road. Period.

I'll try to clear a nodeway and see if I can place a node siphon on them. I was hoping to build them on Yrm crystals. That obviously didn't work.

Thank you again. We'll see how that goes.

Good point about the armor... hopefully we will be able to see which armor or weapon can be used by which heroes at some point.

I personally think the stats should be removed from the game... You can't see them or know what they are.... Just make a blanket bonus to natural AC, or damage or hit, or health per level.... ??maybe?

This is great feedback by the way! Nice job!

Actually I agree with the terraforming point. Would be good if it gave you the option when you cast it to target 3 tiles... OR if it reduced the cost of the spell from like 60 (I think) to say 30?!... That would make it more possible to terraform more tiles quicker!

So I created a node siphon on an air node, hooray!!!

I found a prime node like 4 spaces away, and my "build node siphon" option is greyed out, and it won't give me a tool tip as to why I can't build a node siphon. Maybe they are like cities and can't be within five spaces?

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

The prime node is also on top of a mountain so it may refuse to let me build on a mountain.

I found a prime node like 4 spaces away, and my "build node siphon" option is greyed out, and it won't give me a tool tip as to why I can't build a node siphon. Maybe they are like cities and can't be within five spaces?

The prime node is also on top of a mountain so it may refuse to let me build on a mountain.
    They are not like cities - you can build a siphon on any node, no matter the distance to other nodes. Being on a mountain should have no effect, either. Is there any chance that you just didn't have the right unit selected? Say you had a Hecuva and a Skeleton; if the Skeleton was the active unit, you might not be able to build the siphon, since the Skeleton cannot.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stahl33 View Post
    I personally think the stats should be removed from the game... You can't see them or know what they are.... Just make a blanket bonus to natural AC, or damage or hit, or health per level.... ??maybe?

Actually I agree with the terraforming point. Would be good if it gave you the option when you cast it to target 3 tiles... OR if it reduced the cost of the spell from like 60 (I think) to say 30?!... That would make it more possible to terraform more tiles quicker!
    Well, Planar Conquest is based on the d20 rules. It's essentially impossible to get rid of the stats, without changing the core game mechanics. However, in WoM, the stats were on the unit screen so you could see them. Bringing that back would make it a lot easier for people to know what their bonuses were.

I think terraforming is meant to be slow. If you have a well-placed city, you might have five or even six tiles with bonus resources on them - as long as you convert those tiles, the rest aren't really very important. Given how importnat spell casting is, you might find it worthwhile to really, really focus on increasing your spell skill. Keep your mana slider locked at 0 and try to keep your mana stores full by either converting gold when you need to, or disenchanting all the items you aren't likely to need or use. That will help you use your power to build up your spell casting skill, which - as you noticed - is really important for getting things done in the game

Mercestes, are you aware that you need to select a Settler in your army panel for his "build city" order to activate etc.? It's just a wild guess on my part but maybe you were just expecting your whole army containing a Settler to activate the skill? So when at random you had an army led by an appropriate unit, you found "build Siphon" to work and other times not?

Also, please post bug reports in the Tech Support subforum. Thanks!

Thanks Wojciech. I'm not familiar enough with this ability to cry "bug," but based on your response, I will definitely do so!

The first time I built a node siphon I had zero problems. My Hecuva happened to be selected (since I just added him) and build siphon popped right up.

Then I went to the prime node and I was unable to build a siphon. I even separated out my Hecuva into a stand alone army and still could not build a siphon. Also waited a turn for full movement, no dice.

I also found an earth node that I also could not build a siphon on, same process. So, I'll move this to the bug forum, thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Possibly related: http://forum.wastelands-interactive....her-save-games