Thread: Plans for the future?

Arcane Candidate

Plans for the future?

OK! So.... I give up ... :mrgreen: to which game are you planning a sequel? To me there are several possibilities:

1) A ToW2 ?- incorporating the Naval system and other improvements of SoP for example?

2) A sequel to "Air Aces of the Pacific" along the lines of something like "Air Aces of Europe" - the corresponding other theater game like SoP was for ToW?

3) OR maybe something like a BG2 (as hinted at elsewhere) by deciding what features will be going to go into Bitter Glory and which will be deferred to a BG2? After all every complex program system has to be developed in consecutivly more sophisticated versions. You can't do it all at once so to speak....

4) Or maybe something else I'm not thinking of? :roll:

So which is it? :-P

Romdanzer

Arcane Candidate
    I'd like to suggest an RPG FPS with a WWII flavour. Rise to the rank of sergeant (the backbone of any army) and control your platoon in battle.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Arcane Candidate
    Tomokatu - ever heard of WWIIonline Battleground Europe? - I played that for 8 years - quite near to what you are asking for.... a RPG FPS with WWII flavor:

www.battlegroundeurope.com/

To be exact it's one of the few MMPOG-FPS WW2 flavor games with a half-way realistic Front-wide size simulation AT ALL. Quite unique in the gaming buisness with the world it simulates. HOWEVER the one Main humongous problem with this game and this game idea in general is the difficulty of simulating the amounts of foot-soldiers present in WW2. The thousends of soldiers on each side in the brigades fighting over one town for example. Only if you can simulate that will you get an accurate WW2 Battle simulation. Even with the current extremely highly developed PC's and Internet that still cannot be accurately simulated as:

1) You never have enough players online to have players "play" each individual soldier of an entire battle over a town let alone an entire Frontline like the 1940 BOF with over 1 million soldiers on each side

2) Up to this day we still have no really good program system which can have the computer play all these soldiers... i.e. have "AI-soldiers" fill up the ranks to have thousends of soldiers if you only have 40 players online available to fight over a town.

This fundamental problem is addressed with all kinds of compromises in the gaming industry, starting with small "maps" of 2km x 2km size & visible limits of "Oh-so whoop-di-do-many" 64 or 128 players to larger versions of the same etc... but thats all just kindergarten play when compared to what a realistic battlefield simulation would require...

As I cannot ever see several millions of players ever wanting to play such a game on-line all at the same time, the only solution is to come up with an inqenious AI-system - there are some promising developments out there that are being worked on - but actual market implementation is still going to take a quite while....on the order of several years....

Essentially such a type of game system represents the bottom-up approach to a game-simulation of WW2 with all it's inherent problems to such an approach - I tried it out as I was intriqued by the idea just like you - unfortunately after 8 years I came to the conclusion that such a WW2 simulation is not really feasible (at least at the moment) ... so... for now ... I will go with the top-down appraoch ala what WI does!!! That has the spin-off effect to remind me of all the top-down approach Board-games of my youth!!! 8-)

So in the end I came to want to play BG ..... we're not quite there yet.... but getting ever closer! :mrgreen:

Romdanzer