Thread: Bug or WAD? AI USSR gets more PPs than Human USSR?

Acolyte

Bug or WAD? AI USSR gets more PPs than Human USSR?

Since I see that another patch is coming, I better report bugs now…

I think that USSR as an AI player gets mystery Production Points. I am playing as Germany and have taken Leningrad, Stalingrad, and Moscow and I am most of the way to the edge of the map, so I was concerned that USSR was still getting 400-500 PPs every turn (I can see their start of turn PPs by saving at the beginning of the turn, reloading, and looking at the Country Summary at the Load Game screen). I began running Strategic Bombing missions on their remaining eastern industrial hexes and did not see the start-of-turn PPs dropping that much. They were still around 300-400 PPs, even with their largest industrial hexes reduced and most of thier country overrun. So in frustration, I loaded the USSR as Human, and looked at their Production screen; they were only reported to be getting around 100 PP per turn, and I could not see another source of income. I then tried something different. I played my turn as Germany as Human, let the AI play the USSR turn, and then when Finland’s turn came up (I have it on Human, too, even though it is neutral), I reloaded and made sure to set the USSR as Human. I then clicked end-turn as Finland, and the end-of-turn/start-of-turn supply, production point, and sea battle phase occurred. When I save/reload to look at USSR’s PPs, they are at a normal number of around 100 PPs. I tried this two times for two turns in a row with the same result. AI USSR gets around 300 extra PPs at the end-turn phase that is not in the production report, and Human USSR only gets the basic PPs actually shown in the Production report.

UK is broken with only the home islands and a negative income because of strategic bombing. US is still out of the war (it is January 1941) with only 60% war economy and roughly the same PPs every turn, so I am pretty sure there are no PPs being shipped in. And even if the AI was shipping PPs to USSR, why would it ship to AI USSR but not Human USSR? The convoy would have already been set up by the time it was Finland’s turn. There also have not been any events during any of those turns either when USSR is either AI or Human.

This is either a bug, or you guys built in an automatic handicap that gives 300 extra PPs per turn to USSR if the Human player is the Axis. Which is it?

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    IIRC there was some handicap, but I'm 99% sure it was much less than 300 PP per turn.

Acolyte
    After doing some testing, I can see that your reply is partly right. It appears that AI USSR is randomly given 50-300 PPs every turn, so on average, it is less than 300. Below are the results I found:

Game Turn 69; February 24, 1941:
    Human USSR: 109 PPs
    AI USSR Test 1: 359 PPs
    AI USSR Test 2: 409 PPs
    AI USSR Test 3: 159 PPs
    AI USSR Test 4: 359 PPs
    AI USSR Test 5: 309 PPs
    AI USSR Test 6: 209 PPs
    AI USSR Test 7: 409 PPs

I tried again 5 turns later after bombing or capturing 50 PPs worth of USSR territory so that a Human USSR would only get 52 PPs, and I got similar results as above. 50-300 PPs per turn.

So it is determined that this is not a bug, and WAD. However, the amount given seems extreme and I would request that the handicap amount be adjusted to be proportional to how much industry USSR has left. As mentioned above, when the USSR should only be getting 52 PPs at the end of the game, they are getting up to 352 PPs.

This can turn things into an unfun attrition slog at the end when you only have a few objectives left to get. The USSR is packing dozens of infantry corps in multiple rings around these objective cities, at a time when they should be strapped for cash. I do not know if I would have been able to overcome these numbers if I had waited to attack in 1941 instead of 1940. Of course, that would be a historical result, but if I want the USSR to be hard to take down, I would set them to “Very Easy” so they get a 200% modifier to their PPs (and set Germany to Very Hard). What’s the point of giving them up to 300 more PPs on top of that?

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    We have analyzed the issue, and it looks like you have meet a couple of events that are giving some additional bonuses.

Acolyte
    Are the handicap PPs affected by War Economy? USSR had a lot of the Industrialization events earlier in the game, so thier war economy is around 220%. Other than those previous events, there have been no other events popping up during the tests I did to determine what the average extra PPs were.